Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
theDonk

Help with stability

Newbie here with a Keystone 175BH. We're out on our first trip and have the thing leveled to perfection, chocked, and stabilizer jacks are down but we feel like we're walking around on a trampoline. There is a bunch of sway and bounce.

I've searched solutions but everyone has 5th wheels and massive TTs. I can't seem to find some single axle fixes.

Thanks in advance
theDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
baker.jeff.d

Hi, welcome to the forum. One possible thing to look at is how extended your stabilizer jacks are. On our previous tent trailer, if we had our jacks really extended (almost vertical), there was more movement. When we started using 4x4 blocks as a base for our jacks, the jacks weren’t as extended, and then less movement.
baker.jeff.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
UsTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker.jeff.d View Post
Hi, When we started using 4x4 blocks as a base for our jacks, the jacks weren’t as extended, and then less movement.
I believe the above to be a correct statement..We found this as well. Plus we use a Universal RV stabilizer from Camping World under the back end of the camper and find it works really well..>>https://www.campingworld.com/univers...zer-34337.html
There are other stabilizers on the market such as JT's strong arm, and the BAL lock arm. But I just got the Universal stabilizer when I had a smaller camper and I find it still works well with my Cougar..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
Laredo Tugger

Based on a few other threads on the same subject, my next purchase is going to be the JT Strong Arm system. Most were very satisfied with this product over the tripod or other brands.
Seems like a very easy to deploy,use, and store system.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #5
66joej

Another less expensive option to try would be the screw jacks. One on each side on the frame. Worked well on the previous TT we had.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
Logan X

It’s possible you may not have your stabilizer jacks fully engaged. They are not designed to lift the trailer but I have found if I extend them until they touch the ground and add just a little more so the trailer moves very slightly, it improves the stability quite a bit.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:57 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

No matter what you do, you will always have some movement because the trailer is supported on the suspension. You can try putting jacks in front and back of the wheels to take some of the spring out.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
travelin texans

Also some people are just much more sensitive to the slightest movement, others might walk into the same rv & not notice any movement. So you'll just have to experiment til you find what works for you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
newemptynester

We were having a little movement issues and bought BAL X-Chock for the tires and they have worked great. Very little movement now.
2013 Laredo 29RKS

newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by newemptynester View Post
We were having a little movement issues and bought BAL X-Chock for the tires and they have worked great. Very little movement now.
I think the OPs TT is a single axle.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:06 AM   #11
newemptynester

66joej - yep it is. I did not check that out first.
2013 Laredo 29RKS

newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #12
pdaniel

There will be many suggestions concerning stability. The remedies here are sound. I use a lot leveling blocks even though I have six point autoleveling jacks to keep the length of the piston short-the more piston out the less stable the rig. That goes for the crank-down or electric stabilizers and the tongue jack. Just don't use too many blocks on the tongue jack or you might not be able to level nose down...
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
BadmanRick

We have a 2011 Bullet Premier 19FBPR it suffered from sway up until I just upgraded the sizor-jacks from the 5000 lb each to much heavier duty 7500 lb each jacks. NO MORE SWAY.
Got them on amazon installed them my self-
Libra Set of 4 True 7500 lb Heavy Duty 24" RV Trailer Stabilizer Leveling Scissor Jacks w/Handle & Dual Power Drill Sockets & Hardware -Model# 26037
Hope this helps.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #14
PKONolan

Manual Screw Jacks

I agree on the suggestion for manual screw jacks under a solid part of the frame. They are light (made of aluminum with steel jack screws), inexpensive ($45) and pack up into a box not much larger than a shoe box. They also aren’t too big a hassle to set up. You can also put more pressure on them than on a scissor jack or swing arm jack. I use these ones from Amazon on our 24 foot bunkhouse:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Fab-Pro...ateway&sr=8-12

I have two 10 piece sets of Lynx Leveling blocks also that I use under those for a little more height since the campsite in CO aren’t usually very flat. I also stuck felt pads on top of each jack head to avoid scratching the frame paint and causing Rust. The jack heads spin as you extend the screw so the felt pad makes contact and then stays put.
PKONolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #15
mlk1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Another less expensive option to try would be the screw jacks. One on each side on the frame. Worked well on the previous TT we had.
I use the screw jacks on the front and blocks under the scissor jacks on the back. I run them down til they touch, then add a little on the back and same thing on the front, only up. Really helped mine.
mlk1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk1950 View Post
I use the screw jacks on the front and blocks under the scissor jacks on the back. I run them down til they touch, then add a little on the back and same thing on the front, only up. Really helped mine.
If you have manual scissors jacks, to make setup a little bit easier, if you lower the tongue about an inch, then run the rear scissors jacks "tight" but don't force them, then when you raise the tongue, it will put weight on the scissors jacks. It does the same thing as "cranking the jacks tight" but saves a bit of "sweat" on a hot summer day.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:42 AM   #17
theDonk

Thanks for the replies everybody. We're headed out again on the 15th and I'm going try to a few of the things people have suggested. I'll post back with the results.
theDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #18
mlk1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you have manual scissors jacks, to make setup a little bit easier, if you lower the tongue about an inch, then run the rear scissors jacks "tight" but don't force them, then when you raise the tongue, it will put weight on the scissors jacks. It does the same thing as "cranking the jacks tight" but saves a bit of "sweat" on a hot summer day.
Good tip, thank you. I'll do that next time.
mlk1950 is offline   Reply With Quote