Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #21
Surferbill

For $19.95 I will answer/teach you all you need to know, and I know little to nothing.
Surferbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsb3 View Post
The gas on the water heater quit working during our first trip out...
You've got either an Atwood or a Suburban water heater. BOTH are independent of the Keystone warranty. You can call the manufacturer and discuss a local repair shop that does warranty work and COMPLETLEY BYPASS THE RV DEALERSHIP !!!!!

Your experiences with that dealership would be enough to make even the most patient owner "short tempered"... So, just "sidestep the BS" and find a repair facility that isn't an RV dealer. Atwood or Suburban will be happy to help you locate competent service. Heck, they may "diagnose your problem on the phone" and send you a new control board.

Good Luck and, if possible, avoid that dealership "like the plague".... If they don't respect you and your time, why keep giving them your business?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:16 AM   #23
atkinsb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You've got either an Atwood or a Suburban water heater. BOTH are independent of the Keystone warranty. You can call the manufacturer and discuss a local repair shop that does warranty work and COMPLETLEY BYPASS THE RV DEALERSHIP !!!!!

Your experiences with that dealership would be enough to make even the most patient owner "short tempered"... So, just "sidestep the BS" and find a repair facility that isn't an RV dealer. Atwood or Suburban will be happy to help you locate competent service. Heck, they may "diagnose your problem on the phone" and send you a new control board.

Good Luck and, if possible, avoid that dealership "like the plague".... If they don't respect you and your time, why keep giving them your business?????

That's good to know, I didn't realize the warranties were independent until after the initial one year warranty was up on the trailer and I had to go through the authorized keystone dealer to get warranty work done during that period. The water heater is an Atwood. My plan was to stop by the other dealership in town and talk to them about it but looks like I have more options. Appreciate the info!

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

If you take a look at page 11 in your Keystone Owner's Manual, it has a section about appliance warranty. Essentially, what Keystone does during the first year, is file warranty claims for you and after that one year, you (or the dealer) has to file the claim directly with the appliance manufacturer. You can bypass Keystone and go directly to the manufacturer and eliminate almost all the "dealership induced heartburn"....

Interestingly, Keystone also makes a statement that they "DO NOT" administer the warranty for... "tires, batteries, generators, and ASA supplied
electronics (those items are not only excluded, but Keystone does not administer those components’ separate warranties"

Essentially, what they're saying is, if you have a problem with your "in command system" (manufactured by ASA) then you're on your own.... I wonder how they'll "spin the blame" once the new GM products interface with the ASA electronics in Keystone trailers ???? With the "no hands on approach" it may not be a "new product/new owner/new user" friendly system.... Just speculation, but the way Keystone handled the blame for the Cougar switch panel in 2014, the door lock recall in 2015 and the current problems with the furnace not working below 40F, well, let's hope they step up to the plate with the GM/Keystone interface..... Time will tell, I suppose.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #25
Hey Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Louie, the course, IMO, is a waste of money. You said you took care of your previous RV for 6 years. What you are dealing with now, from your selling dealership 100 miles away, is pure bull. As a purchaser, with a new unit, IMO you need to be on their case, front and center, face to face. Forget the "service advisor", deal with the service manager or the manager. What they are doing is dragging things out until your warranty expires and they no longer have to deal with it instead of jumping right on it and trying to fix it right away for you, their new customer. Poor, poor customer service. Step into it, forget about the phone and insist, through management, that they take care of you as they should. The timelines they are giving you are....incompetent and are a slap in your face - don't accept it.
Update
I called to check the progress earlier this week of our unit and was given a story of how busy they were and that they still haven't looked at it yet. I blew up at the service writer. Then I was forwarded to the general manager and had to leave a voicemail. The GM called me back several hours later and he gave me the progress report. Suddenly they found time to work on our 5er. We picked it up today and I was pleased with all the work they did. It just unfortunate that it had to get to that point to get anything done.
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:40 AM   #26
E Rod

[QUOTE=Hey Louie;334346]Update
I called to check the progress earlier this week of our unit and was given a story of how busy they were and that they still haven't looked at it yet. I blew up at the service writer. Then I was forwarded to the general manager and had to leave a voicemail. The GM called me back several hours later and he gave me the progress report. Suddenly they found time to work on our 5er. We picked it up today and I was pleased with all the work they did. It just unfortunate that it had to get to that point to get anything done.[/QUOTE

I know that feeling. Took mine in for warranty repairs and it took them 3 months to get it back.. only reason i took than doing it myself was because i paid for a unit in working order. Now, i just make my own repairs. You can Google and YouTube just about anything
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:55 AM   #27
ChuckS

Since you are already doing some work you have some skill sets..

I wouldn’t pay a nickel for the RV course.. in today’s world between the experience level of several members on this site and the vast amount of info available at a fingers touch on google...why pay

You simply need good mechanical, electrical, and plumbing skills... and you can teach your self most of what you may not know..

A sound approach to the problem at hand, followed with decent skill set application and awareness of safety concerns will get you much further than $1600 course..l

The new “In command” and My RV integration now coming out will require some to up their skill sets to comprehend the integration of these systems but it also is quite doable.

But .. if you’ve got money to burn then go for it..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #28
Hey Louie

I know that feeling. Took mine in for warranty repairs and it took them 3 months to get it back.. only reason i took than doing it myself was because i paid for a unit in working order. Now, i just make my own repairs. You can Google and YouTube just about anything[/QUOTE]

That was my thought process. Bought the thing brand new. Came with a warranty. Dealer and Manufacturers use their warranties as a selling point. Then they must be on the same page as me. Oops didn't work that way. I hate having to be an a....hole but they left me know choice. I'm generally a pretty understanding and patient guy but they push me over the top. I can not tolerate poor customer service. There is truly no good excuse. Probably the last time our 5er will see a the dealer. You live and hopefully learn.
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:58 AM   #29
atkinsb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I stopped at a small RV repair shop in town and talked to the service manager about doing the warranty work on our water heater and appliances. He said he would do it after the Keystone warranty expired, which will be 8 June at 4:37 PM EST. I'm taking it in the evening of the 9th of June and he said I would have it back in a couple of days with a functional water heater. Also gave him a very high level reason (less than 1 minute) for my frustrations with the "unnamed nationwide RV dealers service center" and he said he gets tons of business people with the same complaint...and he appreciates the business. The other thing that I immediately like about this place is that the service manager and techs were accessible. So we'll see, but I'm feeling good!

Bill and Kathy
Old 07-05-2019, 05:22 AM   #30
atkinsb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsb3 View Post
I stopped at a small RV repair shop in town and talked to the service manager about doing the warranty work on our water heater and appliances. He said he would do it after the Keystone warranty expired, which will be 8 June at 4:37 PM EST. I'm taking it in the evening of the 9th of June and he said I would have it back in a couple of days with a functional water heater. Also gave him a very high level reason (less than 1 minute) for my frustrations with the "unnamed nationwide RV dealers service center" and he said he gets tons of business people with the same complaint...and he appreciates the business. The other thing that I immediately like about this place is that the service manager and techs were accessible. So we'll see, but I'm feeling good!
Just an update. Took the trailer to the small RV repair shop, had it back in 10 days with the water heater repaired under warranty, appliance check done, and the caulking of the roof touched up. And no additional damage to it when I picked it up. Actually thinking about a legal name change for the trailer. Pulling it to VA beach this weekend for a week long stay and feeling good!

Bill and Kathy

Tags
maintenance