Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
German Shepherd Guy

Talking Intresting to see on Keystone site.

So one of the other threads here had someone looking at a Sprinter 3531FWDEN. I thought I would go on the Keystone site and check it out. Nice trailer, I used the 3D image to "walk around" inside the trailer. The decorative molding on the slideout containing the refrigerator is coming loose. This on the picture that Keystone is showing the world while trying to sell itself. I think if anything speaks volumes about finish quality in RVs this does. Not putting Keystone down but I think if I was selecting the rig to demonstrate my product with online to thousands of potential buyers around the world, I would pick one where in the picture at least everything would look "perfect." That no one did, that no one caught this, well is it any wonder "new" units come off the line with problems the owners will need to fix right off the bat?

https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-whe...n-fifth-wheel/

I know I am a geezer any maybe I oughta have better things to do than to find this kind of stuff.

Hope you all watched Westminster Dog Show.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
66joej

Agree that is a very noticeable defect.
I believe the salesman's words were "use it for the summer and bring it back and we'll fix that" (good luck).
Love dogs and we were able to watch the Agility competition (wow that Verb can move!)we could not get Fox Sports1 up here in the sticks to watch the Judging.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
daveinaz

My, my. That is a pretty obvious defect, although I can't tell if it's loose or bowing out because it's cut too long and bowing out? Either way, like you said, it's pretty sad that they picked this for their demo.

The more I read about the problems and QC issues with the new units, the happier I am with my old one. A salesman who's been doing this for 30+ years told me that units built after the 08 market crash had much less build quality that prior to then. He said that before then, they were pretty decent but now they just hammer 'em out and unless you get a really high end unit, the build quality of new ones today doesn't measure up to those built from '08. I don't know if that's true or not.

I looked at some 06, 07, and 08 Carriage units and I could tell they were better built than cheaper ones, but I didn't think they were that much better to justify the 50% higher cost.

Has anyone has an older Montana an a newer Montana who can compare the build quality of, say, an 08 and a 2018 model?

Buying an older unit, I expect to have to make some repairs but if I had a new or newer unit, and was making payments on it, I would be pretty irritated at having to make those same repairs.

Where the older units really made better?
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
5J's

I bet the view count on this trailer will be on the way up leaving Keystone wondering what's going on. I see they have the closet closed. I guess they don't want anyone going in there or coming out.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
Tbos

I saw a defect in another of Keystone’s videos. A 5er was missing part of a decorative stripe. Just like my friends Winnebago class A with full body paint.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
Gegrad

Showed my wife this and she suggested it could be a function of the 3D photography. I am more skeptical and think it is likely a defect as others have stated. Just something to consider.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:07 AM   #7
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Showed my wife this and she suggested it could be a function of the 3D photography. I am more skeptical and think it is likely a defect as others have stated. Just something to consider.
Nah, it’s not the 3D photography. If it was, the wood on either side of the strip would show some distortion, but it doesn’t. It’s a defect, and a rather obvious one that Keystone should be ashamed of.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:33 AM   #8
Fishsizzle

The roof to wall 1/4 trim is also out of whack above that same area on the slide moulding.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone