Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
busterbrown

An Airstream over a premium Keystone Product?

Took the family to the winter RV show in Novi, MI today. Just some leisurely window shopping done as we're not in the market for a replacement. This is the first year (within the last 5 years) that a dealer had an Airstream on display. Believe it or not, this was my first time inside one. It was a 28 foot couples coach that had dealer pricing around $82K. No sticker shock on my behalf as I already know what these Airstreams retail for.

But after walking through a series of much more price friendly Keystone Montana's, I felt the the quality of materials, craftsmanship, and amenities was significantly higher than this lone Airstream. And I understate "higher"! Thin laminated wood finishings and obtrusive placement of overhead cabinets along your sight line made the Airstream feel cheap and impractical. Storage was basically non-existent. I've always read about the "open feel" and airiness inside of the main cabin. What "open feel" do people refer too? All we saw were cheaply constructed cabinets along the perimeter blocking your view.

I understand the attraction of a smaller, efficient, and timeless RV design. But at $82,000 unimpressionable dollars? The smallest of the Montana 5vers we looked at cost 10's of thousands less and offered a plethora more of creature comforts over the Airstream. In my eyes, even the small premium pull behind coaches from Grand Design had Airstream beat in quality and pricing.

I guess I just don't get it. Similarities to Apple's high-end iPhone following I suppose. My wife said the same so I assume were not the only ones to ask why?
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

We've been in Airstreams and were never impressed. A couple stay in one here at our campground and we asked them about it and what I feel is the "tunnel" feel. It doesn't bother them....they spent a few years on a small boat!!!! So guess not. I think the exterior might be what drives the cost. Out of the blue the owner of this park I guess came up with an old Airstream from somewhere. Saw them pull it in; the outside was dull. It was literally green from no one taking care of it and had what appeared to me to be "green fungus" growing on the sides and roof. Dump ground material is what I thought. He parked it and got his hand on it cleaning it up.....WOW is all I could say. Spent most of a day and that thing shines like a new silver dollar! No worries about fade (to speak of) and all the things we worry about with fiberglass/filon - and no one had touched it in many years apparently. That would be nice but I don't want anything without any slides and "nostalgic" interiors carrying a premium, premium price.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
Tbos

Pretty to look at on the outside but not practical or well built on the inside.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

We took a ‘17 in on trade, sold in 4 days. People still want them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I can say that I owned one. A 28ft 1964, it came with a beach property I purchased. It was last licensed in 1978? and last used 5 years before I owned it in 2004. Upon being given the keys, I walked in it with my wife behind me and the real estate guy last. Wife took 2 steps and got out, I walked through the whole thing wondering how I could get it home 140 miles away and rebuild it.
After a few minutes I told the real estate guy I would put a take it for free sign
on it. He held out his hand and took back the title. So, I owned a Airstream for about 10 minutes.
My thought is that a normal built TT would have only been good for the frame, the rest taken to the dump, but the Airstreams seem to have a following to rebuild the junk ones. About the only thing left good was the outer skin and frame. That guy spend a year on it and got most of it rebuilt, he ended up passing away before it was finished.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

We bought a 1968 26' International Sovereign in Cerritos CA, at the RV dealership that was literally across the street from the Airstream factory. We picked it up on a Friday afternoon (mistake #1) and tried to tow it back to Palmdale about 5PM through LA rush hour traffic (mistake #2). We pulled out of the dealership onto the highway (mistake #3), heard a funny "thump" but didn't think anything about it (mistake #4). About 2 miles later, we were stopped at a traffic light and someone came up beside us, pointing to the trailer. I pulled into the next gas station (1/2 block away) to find the sewer hose and shore power cord dragging behind the trailer, completely worn away. There was a storage compartment built into the space between the bumper and the trailer body. The bottom had fallen off that storage space. Apparently the factory had failed to rivet it in place. All that was holding it in position was the Cleco fasteners.

ANYWAY, between the curved sides, 11" wide upper cabinets that are 6" wide half way up (can't stack 4 plates or store a cereal box) and the round sides that make standing up in the shower impossible, it was a "Pringle's can" that will last forever.... Current 30' International models start at $110,000 and many sell for upwards of $150,000 and for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want a 30' trailer with no slides for that kind of money... Must be the "aura" ????

I will say that we were never cold or hot in it, even living in Palmdale, CA, the single A/C was all that was needed to keep it cool, even in the heat of mid-day sun in the desert parked with no shade except the awning.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #7
travelin texans

At the Ft Worth rv show about 10 years ago we walked into a couple Airstreams, one was the Bambi at about 16' single axle with a "show price" of $58k, I told the salesman that the price of recycled beer cans must way up & if looks could kill I'm dead.
Airstreams definitely have a fan base, of which I'm not one, too much $$$$ for way too little rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #8
busterbrown

I'm glad I'm not the only one who shakes their head at these over priced units. They do shine up nicely though. There is a popular YT family traveling full time in a 30' air stream. Watched a few of their videos. They have quite a few more windows in their unit then what I seen at the show. But overall, it's still small. Don't know how they do it with a 4 year old child and expectant mother? Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #9
Alpine

Such a coincidence.... just looking at a couple of Air Steam "forums" today and they seem to be plagued with that same problems of any of the RV brands available! I have heard that the biggest difference is the better "after the purchase service" you will get from Air Stream.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:29 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Such a coincidence.... just looking at a couple of Air Steam "forums" today and they seem to be plagued with that same problems of any of the RV brands available! I have heard that the biggest difference is the better "after the purchase service" you will get from Air Stream.
Don't believe it. At the Airstream dealers that I've seen, they pull them into the bays co-mingled with all the other brands and the service techs go to work on them. They might be working on an Airstream today and a Springdale tomorrow. About the only difference is the 3 year vs 1 year warranty. But don't expect the "red carpet treatment" when you pull up, you still have to walk inside, ask where to park it and then go unhitch it and give them the keys.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-10-2019, 02:16 AM   #11
notanlines

I had one of my grandgirls at a small RV show years ago. We walked into an Airstream and her first words were "Why is it so small, Paw Paw?"
Out of the mouths of babes....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
beaglething

I don't get the draw to Airstreams either.

My husband and I were total newbies last year when we purchased a 2018 Keystone Raptor 39'. We had spent 2 years researching and walking through all types and makes and sizes of RVs before we settled on a monster that is very, very stressful to move.

Time and again, my hubbie would be drawn to the Airstreams and I would pull him back from the edge of insanity. We are a family of 5 and I cannot imagine stuffing all of us in one. I found them to be very claustrophobic feeling.

I am soooo happy we chose the 5th wheel we did. It's like a second home that we get to move to new places as we like. I need the tall ceilings and pull outs to feel comfortable. Moving it has gotten a lot better as we learned the ropes.

We may have skipped right from "beginner" to "advanced," but we have an RV that I cannot imagine needing to upgrade from until we retire and go full time.

Super happy we did not go with an Airstream. They seem to have a cult following, but I'm not a fan.

And darn, we missed the Novi show. I love that one.
beaglething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #13
jack65

Growing up all the way to now at 66, I always admired Airstreams. They looked cool, kinda like a airplane without wings, in fact was told years ago they were built with airplane materials. That is probably why it cost so much. Anyway all these negative post about Airstreams are shocking! Burst my bubble how I felt about Airstreams as I always thought they were the best of the best, but never could afford one. I guess I won't "lust" for one everytime I see one anymore.
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

If I had the money to buy an Airstream I wouldn't be hanging out in this crowd!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Years ago, Airstreams were "light years" ahead of other "mortal built trailers"....

Things like the univolt system, the precursor to converter/chargers was standard on Airstreams in the 60's when other trailers like Jayco, Wilderness, Prowler were "stick built with an optional 10 amp battery charger and a dual (110VAC/12VDC lighting system"...

Back in the 60's we towed a Jayco 20' trailer across Kansas on I-70, taking up 1.5 lanes because of the crosswind. Fifty MPH, white knuckles at every underpass was the "normal day". When we went home from California with the Airstream, it was one hand on the wheel with those same crosswinds. Then there's the "thoughtful inclusions" that come with Airstreams that aren't even available in conventional trailers. Little things like the 3" powered vent that's behind the toilet, super quiet and prevents "black tank smells" (as well as other smells" from leaving the immediate area of the toilet. Yes, there's also a roof vent in the bathroom, but it's obtrusive, noisy and pulls those smells to the center of the room. Little things like that just aren't even "on the radar" for most "mortal trailers"....

Then, there's the sense of belonging with Airstreamers. The Wally Byam Caravans, the state and local clubs, the International Ralley, the "secret hello" that Airstreamers always give each other when on the road. It's easy to recognize another Airstreamer, not so much whether someone has a Cougar or a Wildcat fifth wheel at 70MPH on the interstate.

No, I'm not "selling Airstreams"... I was extremely disappointed with ours, but do understand why people are drawn to RVing with them. It's more than just the silver trailer, it's a lifestyle and a "group belonging" that you just don't get with Keystone or with fifth wheels or with toyhaulers or with any other brand. About the closest is the "Montana Owner's Club" (MOC), but even then, there's not the "instant recognition" that owners get with Airstream"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #16
racer4

"Airstream to expand production to meet booming RV demand"

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/26/airs...rv-demand.html

I think every RV size and type is a compromise. Size, comfort, maneuverability, durability, etc.

Apparently an increasing number of people like the Airstream compromise.
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #17
bjansen

The only time I was impressed by an Airstream was when I saw 2 floating upside down in the ponds of the sewer treatment plant in Homestead, FL after hurricane Andrew went though. They looked to be in perfect condition except they were upside down. Everything else, including the mobile homes were unrecognizable. Still wouldn't buy one as I don't intend to ride out a hurricane in any trailer.
bjansen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone