Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
plocklin

3.0 PowerStroke Deisel and 5.0 Cummings Deisel

Does anyone reading this forum have (or know anyone that has) a:
Nissan XD with the 5.0 Cummings diesel, or
Ford F150 with the 3.0 Powerstroke diesel?

If so, would you please give us your input to the following questions:

Are you happy with the truck?
What do you tow with it?
What kind of fuel economy do you get when towing and with no load?
Have you had any problems with it?

Thanks!

New tricks
plocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #2
KimNTerry

I did a ton of research on this when purchasing my current truck.

The Nissan XD Cummins 5.0 Diesel is similar to what is used in many school bus and from everything I have read a very capable engine. I was leaning heavily towards getting the Nissan XD, but both DW and I did not like the ride, appearance, or interior on this truck. Technically it met all of my requirements in terms of payload, towing, power, etc. The Nissan XD is a very under rated truck IMO.

The Ford 3.0 Powerstroke is actually a re-worked Range Rover 3.0 Diesel. This motor is a well regarded and very capable motor for a European SUV but not so much an HD Diesel engine that one would expect in an American pick-up. The torque, HP, tow and payload ratings for this engine reflect as much. IMO this engine is mostly marketing to satisfy the "You need a diesel for power" mantra. This motor does not turn an F150 into an SD truck but your do pay the premium.

IMO if you want the benefits of a diesel drive train with respect to towing you need to look at class 3 and higher vehicles. Class 2 trucks (1/2 and 3/4 ton) just don't have the payload and suspension to make the premium worth while. Again, just my 2 cents.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
plocklin

KimNTerry,

How much does your cougar weigh?
Are you happy pulling it with your Ford EcoBoost?

New tricks
Old 02-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
KimNTerry

Last time I scaled (and I do scale my rig occasionally) it was for a long trip with lots of goodies (Bikes, inflatable Kayaks, that kind of stuff) it was right at 10K. GVWR is 10,220.

Pin Weight was 1800. I was right at 7750 pounds of my 7850 GVWR

I truly enjoy towing this combination and find the ecoboost up to the task of towing (meaning pulling and safely stopping) this rig.

On flat ground my Towing MPG was about 12 Mpg
around town empty I average about 18 Mpg I can get better if empty at highway speeds.

It goes down to about an 8 average towing up and down the Rockies.

My only observation on the eco-boost is downhill engine braking is not the same as a big V8. Use higher revs and watch the temp but doable.

For all the regulars/weight police here: Yes, I know this is not the standard 20+ percent pin weight keep in mind this is "1/2 ton series trailer" and they are designed to track properly at a lighter tongue/pin weight.

I have towed this combination in crosswinds, heavy traffic and up and down I-70 and other rocky mountain highways without issue or concern (Other than those any vehicle operator towing a 5er should normally have.)

My truck is also the HDPP variant with 2300 pounds of payload more than some diesel 3/4 ton pick-ups.

I do know I am pushing the max with this combination. I have practiced emergency stop procedures and know my follow distances at different speeds. I have never experienced instability or "White Knuckles" with this or my previous tow vehicle.

I do not tow this everyday just a couple times per month during the camping season. April to October or so here in CO. So I'm not overly concerned with excessive wear to the vehicle.

All this being said. I do not lightly recommend this combination to anyone especially someone new to towing. Standard thoughts here about smaller trailer or bigger truck apply. I have been towing for decades and towing "upside down" meaning Trailer heavier than the Tow vehicle for almost a decade with a variety of configurations in a variety of terrains. I personally am very comfortable with this configuration and have no issues with it.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #5
Spinkboy

I was looking also at the dodge ecodiesel and the Titan. Mine weight 8800 and decided after doing the numbers to stay clear. Just to close to call.

Went with a Silverado 2500hd. Spent 9k more but wont blink a eye at towing my cougar 29rks anymore.
Spinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
plocklin

Thanks for the reply KimNTerry,

This is great information. I watched a you tube review comparing a Ford F150 (EcoBoost) to the Nissan XD. They tested them by pulling an 11000lb bumper pull.
The F150 had more pulling power but it porpoised because of the lighter weight truck. The heavier Nissan had the advantage in that case. I was thinking the F150 would do better with a 5th wheel trailer.

New tricks
Old 02-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #7
plocklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinkboy View Post
I was looking also at the dodge ecodiesel and the Titan. Mine weight 8800 and decided after doing the numbers to stay clear. Just to close to call.

Went with a Silverado 2500hd. Spent 9k more but wont blink a eye at towing my cougar 29rks anymore.

Yea, my 2500HD does great pulling our 306BHS but it is only a 10,000lbs trailer (just under fully loaded). I am thinking the truck may be overkill especially If I traded to a smaller trailer.

New tricks
Old 02-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
KimNTerry

I tow the "Ike" multiple times per season (4 last year?) scheduled for 2 or 3 this year (so far) We have to take it to get to one of our favorite spots.

I have never had a problem on the Ike and my results are pretty close to Mr. Trucks.
Uphill is a dream. Downhill is stable and controllable. I have not experienced porpoising or control issues. I suspect Tires are part of the issue. If I recall the Titan XD comes with stiffer LT tires. My HDPP has the LT C Range tires, a higher payload than was tested and a 3.73 rear end.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #9
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by plocklin View Post

Does anyone reading this forum have (or know anyone that has) a:
Nissan XD with the 5.0 Cummings diesel, or
Ford F150 with the 3.0 Powerstroke diesel?

If so, would you please give us your input to the following questions:

Are you happy with the truck?
What do you tow with it?
What kind of fuel economy do you get when towing and with no load?
Have you had any problems with it?

Thanks!
Hello,
I have a 2016 Titan XD SL. So far happy with the truck. I bought it new and have 32,000 miles on the truck. I tow a 2018 Premier 30RIPR which is approx 7k lbs empty. I am guessing it’s about 8k lbs loaded up - I have never weighed it.
When I tow I get 11-12 mpg. Not towing I get about 15 around town and regularly up to 23 mpg highway, although 19-20 mpg is most typical. I have managed to hit 25 mpg for my personal record! Of course when the truck regens it will lower the mpg on that trip/tank.
I have been happy with it. It has been reliable except for a DEF sensor that had to be replaced and was done under warranty.
It was a slight adjustment going from a gas half ton to a diesel, but the extra weight of the truck makes towing night and day from my 2012 half ton. Due to the heavier weight It is far more solid and stable.
Also the diesel engine usually sits around 1600 RPM when towing.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #10
plocklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
Hello,
I have a 2016 Titan XD SL. So far happy with the truck. I bought it new and have 32,000 miles on the truck. I tow a 2018 Premier 30RIPR which is approx 7k lbs empty. I am guessing it’s about 8k lbs loaded up - I have never weighed it.
When I tow I get 11-12 mpg. Not towing I get about 15 around town and regularly up to 23 mpg highway, although 19-20 mpg is most typical. I have managed to hit 25 mpg for my personal record! Of course when the truck regens it will lower the mpg on that trip/tank.
I have been happy with it. It has been reliable except for a DEF sensor that had to be replaced and was done under warranty.
It was a slight adjustment going from a gas half ton to a diesel, but the extra weight of the truck makes towing night and day from my 2012 half ton. Due to the heavier weight It is far more solid and stable.
Also the diesel engine usually sits around 1600 RPM when towing.

Thanks for the reply,

Your mpg is better than my Duramax. I typically get about 10-11 mpg when towing but only get 14.5mpg unloaded. Others have told me they get 19-20mpg on their Duramax deisels but I havn't seen it on mine.

New tricks
Old 02-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by plocklin View Post
Thanks for the reply,

Your mpg is better than my Duramax. I typically get about 10-11 mpg when towing but only get 14.5mpg unloaded. Others have told me they get 19-20mpg on their Duramax deisels but I havn't seen it on mine.
It is a smaller engine, 5.0 and I am sure yours is more responsive!

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power