Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM   #71
AlpineKeith

I am the OP, just a clarification. The 80lbs over my rear GAWR was with an empty truck and empty trailer. So my concern was with being loaded for camping I would really be in trouble. I have read all the replies, thanks to all, and hindsight is foresight, getting a dually. I am new to this camping stuff and will learn a lot from the mistakes in all aspects of the adventure!

AlpineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM   #72
MarkEHansen

Having to switch to a larger TV can be a tough pill to swallow - I know from experience. I don't even want to think about how much money I lost in having to re-do my decisions But the wife and I are much happier now

Good luck in your journey and pass on what you have learned!

Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #73
Northofu1

We 'camp' in Wisconsin a few spaces from a family with a very large toy hauler, gross of 21k and he tows with a long bed F250 diesel. I turned the conversation from motorcycles to TV's, maybe getting my point to him that he wasn't even in any ballpark weight-wise. His answer? Nope, it does fine; I had the shop install air bags. When my neighbor asked him about the cargo capacity on his door sticker he didn't even know there was a reason for any sticker other than to give tire pressures. I don't think there is any hope for him. He simply won't buy into being too heavy.

On paper he may very well be over, I certainly wouldn't do that, but I have to ask. Has he ever blown an engine, tranny, rear end? Has he ever been in or caused an accident?
Maybe he drives slow and is competent in driving, just not math.

Not many scare me, I stay well behind or far ahead. I see folks quite a bit doing unsafe things but feel quite comfortable doing it.
Jus sayin, and askin.
Blue Ox 1500 WDH, Air lift 5000 Air Bags, Bilstein 5100 shocks
Northofu1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #74
MarkEHansen

I think there's a difference between being lucky and being (reasonably) safe. There isn't a clear line between these two. The further out of limits a person is, the more they are relying on luck (IMO).

The problem is I think some folks assume that since they've not had an accident (so far) that they are safe, when that may not be the case.
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM   #75
notanlines

Dan, I do see where you are coming from. I'm quite certain there has been no loss of life or limb with his actions. I guess what I can't seem to swallow is the idea that his pin weight alone is in the 3200 pound range empty. In his case the pin weight probably doesn't exceed the 3500 pound range or so. And yes, after 4 years in a large Raptor I am very familiar with pin weights of a large toy hauler. Without going into the usual list and weights , he is a long ways from his cargo capacity. Certainly way over on the original tire limitations. Loaded and rolling his actual cargo weight will exceed his door sticker by more than 2000 pounds. Thanks for being polite. Usually the arrogance comes into these discussions and nothing is accomplished.
2017 Mobile Suites
20K Reese slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #76
rhagfo

Jim, I agree Tires, Tires, Tires! Too many don’t think about tires bag it and good to go. It is a total package and the weakest link will always be Tires followed by wheels.

2001 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD, 5 sp, Pacbrake, DS Power Puck, Bilstien 5100's, Just 311K.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
https://s1191.photobucket.com/albums...Smaller5th.jpg
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote