Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 02-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #51
vampress_me

Sadly, I grew up spoiled - and didn’t even know it. My dad is/ was? (retired now) a diesel mechanic with his own shop on our farm. He repaired tractors for 40some years. Most of his tools were Snap-on, and that’s what I grew up using/ playing with. It was a rude awakening when I grew up and went to buy some tools of my own. I couldn’t find any that worked as nice, but sure couldn’t afford Snap-on! Now, I own mostly DeWalt for power tools (oldest being 20 year old 18V drill and circular saw set still going strong) and Snap-on hand tools (as I can slowly afford a piece or 2 at a time). I had never heard of Harbor Freight until joining this forum. Kind of like Northern Tool, it is a fun store to wander every once in a while. But, I have to say my go-to for a torque wrench for in the camper is a Harbor Freight one. Seems to work great for that, and I don’t have to worry if it would grow legs and walk off!

2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #52
gearhead

I used the 20% off yesterday. Large cable ties, nitrile gloves, battery powered pump rated for gasoline, and a seal and bearing install kit. I've got a little of their hand tools..impact sockets and a couple torque wrenches. Maybe a couple hammers. I prefer Craftsman sockets, 6 point preferably.
When I was pulling on wrenches for a living I preferred Williams or Proto. The Snap Ons were nice but the combo wrenches were like knives...edges would cut into my hands.

2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay, 150 Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18' x 44", B&S 35HP Surface Drive
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #53
travelin texans

Noticed lately that Craftsman tools are available at Lowes & Ace Hardware. Not many, if any, Sears store around anymore.
Although HF warranty is better than Craftsman, they replace hand tools no questions ask, Craftsman got to be if you bought the "professional" grade tools it was warrantied, but otherwise wasn't.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #54
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Noticed lately that Craftsman tools are available at Lowes & Ace Hardware. Not many, if any, Sears store around anymore.
Although HF warranty is better than Craftsman, they replace hand tools no questions ask, Craftsman got to be if you bought the "professional" grade tools it was warrantied, but otherwise wasn't.
I think Sears sold the Craftsman name, or has made an agreement to sell them about anywhere. I have a individual owned Sears store within walking distance. The HF store I usually go to is 30 miles away. Apparently I'm a sucker for those sale papers and 20% off coupons.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay, 150 Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18' x 44", B&S 35HP Surface Drive
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #55
hornet28

jimborokz for loose clearance light lenses just take the lens off use some clear silicone around the edge reinstall and they will stay on.

JimSchwenk for the jack base take your flatstock and jack to your buddy and have him weld some barstock to the flatstock in a square the jack base will fit into so the jack can't slip around. That way it comes apart easily without bolting it down

2003 28' Crossroads 5th wheel 2 slides
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #56
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I think Sears sold the Craftsman name, or has made an agreement to sell them about anywhere. I have a individual owned Sears store within walking distance. The HF store I usually go to is 30 miles away. Apparently I'm a sucker for those sale papers and 20% off coupons.

Stanley/Black&Decker bought the Craftsman name a year or so ago.