Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
TheGriz

TV as Genny!

I happened to stumble upon this vid on youtube. Anyone use their truck as their generator?!?! I thought convenient for occasional off-gridding. Obvious downside is additional hours on TV.

https://youtu.be/9MRkAzKRqlA

Interested in thoughts here from the brain trust!!!

Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

And listening to your diesel idle while charging in your campsite.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
Happy Dad

My 2017 Duramax is extremely quiet. Like TG says, "occasioinal". And with two 12V batteries on the truck standard, you wouldn't need to re-charge as often as you think.

Re-charge while you are showering, if noise is an issue though
Old 07-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Dad View Post
My 2017 Duramax is extremely quiet. Like TG says, "occasioinal". And with two 12V batteries on the truck standard, you wouldn't need to re-charge as often as you think.

Re-charge while you are showering, if noise is an issue though
Ditto on 2017 Duramax being quiet, comparable or quieter than the newer inverter gennies. And again occasional use.

Certainly if you are a regular off-gridder, a stand alone genny is probably the better choice.

A 3500w stand alone inverter genny is 90-100 pounds, and required for my A/C. A bit much for my 61 y/o back to be lower/lifting from/to my truck bed.

I don't want the thread to turn into a debate of on types of gennies. Just looking for pro/con feedback on the "TV/genny" alternative shown in the vid of original post.

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

No, I do not have my truck set up that way. Sure it will work they show cost of genny at 500 Plus their system 1500 plus. I think that is do it yourself cost.
Down side I see is your using a massive big engine vs a small genny engine to do the same thing.
I here you about lifting heavy gennys and I have but, will not lift any big gennys into and out of a truck bed anymore. The small 2000 w suitcase gennys
will do the same together with much less fuel/wear on the truck engine. Depending on which brand could cost a lot less to buy and run than the truck. I have a single 2000w, not dry camped with current RV where I needed the A/C yet. So just 1 works fine. I think my yamaha will run about 14 hours on less than 1 gal of fuel. I have had 3 other portable gennies. Used them since around 1990 for RV and power loss at home.
Sounds like your interested using your truck that way, heck try it out and give us a report.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
Canonman

A 6.7 liter 400hp generator pushing 14+v and 15 amps. Next week I'm going mosquito hunting with a bazooka
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:40 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
A 6.7 liter 400hp generator pushing 14+v and 15 amps. Next week I'm going mosquito hunting with a bazooka
Use a surplus anti-aircraft gun, cheaper and better odds. Contractors have been using these types of systems for decades, at least before the battery operated tools became more powerful with longer run times. Most cabe company vans have them mounted inside as well. Many states have an " unattended vehicle law" which makes an idling vehicle without a driver inside illegal. I won't ramble on about the benefits for a contractor but look at it logically.
Is the cost worth it? You can't compare the cost of that set up to a stand alone genset as it includes two batteries and te inverter.
How long do you keep your truck? If you trade in every few years factor the cost or your time to transfer it.
Capacity, what do you plan to run and for how long?
Do you always park your truck within reach of the electric chord for the trailer? Adding extensions can create issues.
Charging the batteries while driving is nearly free but to idle and charge is another matter. Diesels don't react well to extended idle time unless you add a "fast idle" device that may void your warranty. Drive around a rest stop or truck stop a d roll down your window. You will hear the trucks idling well above a 500 rpm speed. The alternator also does not charge at a high capacity at a low rpm on your truck.
Adding run time to your diesel. Oil changes, fuel filters, etc are a heck of a lot cheaper for a small gas engine vs a diesel. Another consideration for that idle time.
So, you can read a lot of armchair experts her pontificate and postulate but you need to do the due diligence and decide what would work best for YOUR situation. I doubt you will find any number if any members here with that set up. Many, many posts on stand alone generators that I've seen here.
I've found it helpful to take a blank page and divide it side to side. On one side write down the positives and the other the negatives. Do a compare and contrast and see where you end up. I wish you luck on your venture and you are beginning your journey on the right course. Ask the questions do your research across many sites and you will most likely find your answers and learn a lot on the way.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:57 AM   #8
Hodgy

Apparently works for that guy. Could work in other applications also. Infrastructure cost per watt produced is a bit high.

Thanks for posting.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

I did not add this in my last post as it may or may not apply. In a fleet police vehicle they come with among other things is a higher amp alternator and better engine cooling to allow the vehicle to as they call it "idle for extended times" without normal engine break downs caused from that idling. Those are gas engines of course in a car.
My dept. has photo radar vans that idle for hours and hours. Each day they may be driven around 15 miles and they idle for up to 12 to 15 hours everyday, 7 days a week . We have had E150s and now fords flexstar? van. They are auctioned off with less than 10,000 miles on them every 3 years. I have been around them for 8 years now, 3 sets of them. All of them have break downs uncommon for a new vehicle. They go through alternators, A/C units, water pumps and vehicle batteries. I just checked on one of them, it has 7800 miles on it. It has had the A/C quit 3 times and needed repair, water pump replaced once.
Again that truck the poster has may may able to idle for hours without problems, just pointing out a problem I know about. Most may not even think about.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote