Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #41
elcaminonut69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd be very interested in how much drain you have on your batteries and how low they go. If you can run 24 hours and keep them above 70% then you'll probably be "golden"... That said, if you're discharging them to less than 50% every time you tow, they probably won't last much past the warranty period. Something to consider, for sure.....
Ok I got to Savannah yesterday and checked the battery voltage which was 12.4 volts. The trip down was around 70 degrees average and took about 8 and a half hours total. With the cooler temps I don't think the fridge had to work as hard as a normal summer day. I suspect that the hotter the temp the more battery usage.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

12.4 VDC is about 70-75% charged, so if you started with a full charge, then 8.5 hours in moderately cool temperatures discharged the batteries to near the recommended limit. A longer trip or probably warmer weather would discharge them further as the refrigerator runs longer. It sounds "do-able" in the current situation and maybe OK for a bit longer trips, even in warmer weather. I wouldn't think it would be OK for a 90+F day with a planned stop over at a WalMart parking lot.

A second thought, do you have the trailer batteries connected to the 7 pin "charge line"? If so, then you're really using 4 or 5 amps from the tow truck (not much more amperage can flow through that little wire) as well as the 25% from the battery bank, so the actual battery drain was a bit more than the 25%...

Anyway, at least it works for this kind of travel. Enjoy your trip.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #43
mlarryeliz

Troy, good question; I have a similar set-up and a similar question. The dealer told me that one battery would "likely" power the battery "around" 12 hrs. We all know that its performance is dependent on many variables. Our unit has two batteries but I do not expect to get double the useage of one battery and there are many current draws on our 12v electrical system. For now we work hard to get to shore power as quickly as possible.
Enjoy!

Larry & Sylvia
2019 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab DRW Diesel FX4
2018 Sprinter 3531FWDEN
#Practicing4Retirement
mlarryeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #44
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlarryeliz View Post
Troy, good question; I have a similar set-up and a similar question. The dealer told me that one battery would "likely" power the battery "around" 12 hrs. We all know that its performance is dependent on many variables. Our unit has two batteries but I do not expect to get double the useage of one battery and there are many current draws on our 12v electrical system. For now we work hard to get to shore power as quickly as possible.
Enjoy!
Not sure how much it helps,but while on the road I run the drug in gas, but also put a bag of ice in the freezer
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:34 PM   #45
Randallf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Here are the inverter pics...

Troy
I have the same inverter however when I unplug from shore power my inverter does not automatically come on I have to reach underneath and push the button to turn it on. Am I doing something wrong? The other day I was traveling to the campsite and I pulled over at a rest area When I stopped I heard a beeping sound I open the side door and found out that the inverter was at 10.2 V my fridge when I got to the campground was at 50°. It took 2 1/2 days for the For the fridge to cool down to 38°. When I got home from the tripI took the batteries in to the RV shop and they were tested and found out one of them was bad. I did purchase a new battery and I got home charged it up and refrigerator took 2 days to get to 38 .The third day I checked the refrigerator and it was at 40°. Now I’m not sure if I need to leave the inverter on or turn it off please advise thank you. Randallf. 2017 Sprinter
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #46
Getn off

If u have the same inverter as I do, make sure it is on when on batts only. When u hook up shore power it automatically uses shore. Once shore power removed, it will automatically switch back to inverter. I dont have to press the inverter on again.
I just make sure it is on without shore power, then it is pretty much set and forget at that point.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:36 PM   #47
tech740

They call that pass through. Nice thing is if you loose power at the campground it will run off battery also. You don't come back to a warm fridge unless it was long enough that the batteries are dead also.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, inverter