Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
guitarboy52

Made it to Florida

Left Michigan on the 24th of Oct. Spent 6 nights in Indiana, 2 nights in Alabama, landed in Florida today, Nov. 1. No issues to report. Purchased Carlyle tires and TST Tire pressure Monitoring System prior to trip, gave a nice feeling of security knowing tires were performing as designed. Staying in Florida for 5 months, leaving at the end of March. Planning on offering to volunteer for hurricane cleanup help a day or two a week while we're here, we are on vacation, but, we can give some help. We figure this to be a trial run to going full time, figuring we will need to upgrade, but this will be a good test to decide if this is the life style for us. If interest is shown I'll post updates on the relief efforts and our full-time aspirations. Have a safe and happy winter.

2018 2520RL Passport
2015 2500HD Silverado
guitarboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Davidlawrence

Glad for safe travel

I know you had great friends to camp with on your trip down
Davidlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
guitarboy52

Actually, spent 3 nights in Cave City, Ind. with friends from Tenn., but, yes, you can't help meeting great people along the way.
guitarboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:26 AM   #4
JimQ

Glad you had a good trip down. Sounds like you have a good plan for the next few months ahead. Best of luck to you both.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:33 AM   #5
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

We hope to escape a winter and RV down to Florida from up here in cold Toronto. Five months is indeed a long camping trip The thought of full timing for me is a crazy one...you'll want a nice/large RV for sure. I'd love to hear how its going from time to time. Curious about where you're staying/the cost...have you a spot booked or are you planning on different sites... maybe some boon docking maybe some Walmart? Five months in Florida sounds really warm, nice, and expensive mind you, close to the ocean/beach camping would be great!
Good luck and keep us posted
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:42 AM   #6
notanlines

Robert, let's look at your statement "Five months in Florida sounds really warm, nice, and expensive mind you, close to the ocean/beach camping would be great!"
To be able to enjoy the beach most any time during the five months you would need to be south of a line from Tampa to Melbourne/Fort Pearce areas.
Gulf water temperature in January/February generally is in the mid 60's. Atlantic water is in the mid 70's.
So this is going to put you on the eastern side of Florida, south of Fort Pearce. This is certainly higher dollar area for a site than the Georgia/Florida state line for instance. However, if you are willing to settle for an RV park half way between coasts then the price dips appreciably.
We are located in Clewiston, Florida and pay about $650 per month plus about $50 per month for electricity. We are 90 minutes from Haulover Beach in Miami and 90 minutes from the beach area in Fort Myers.
Other than the $700 per month rent, and your trip down and back, how is this different from your life at home?
Now, if you would like to move even further south down Highway 1, south of Miami and enjoy the beach every single day, along with more traffic than Toronto on a Friday evening, that can be arranged.....for a tidy sum.
C'mon down. The beer is cold EVERY day and the weather is great MOST days.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:31 AM   #7
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Is there a Walmart close to a beach any beach

An RV trip to Florida would certainly require a lot of planning...just getting there, planning stops, avoiding night driving, refueling...is tense enough All worth the stress once there setup in the sun with a cold beer and shorts on
I'm assuming guitarboy had a plan and is executing phase 2. Hope he checks in once in while with some details.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:42 AM   #8
ken56

Flint is a good place to be from. I know, lived in the area for 54 years then moved to Tennessee, no regrets. Long term living in an RV can be a challenge. We have done a 3 month stretch and the one issue for us was propane. Cold weather will eat it up and you will get cold weather in the pan handle. Prices down there were in the $4/gal range at the time. Other than that we enjoyed it and ate a lot of Gulf Pink shrimp. It would be nice if you would post updates now and then. Bless you on the offer of helping out with the hurricane recovery.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #9
Badbart56

I RV fulltime in my toy hauler here in the panhandle of Florida and have for about a year now. My wife and I sold our house after I retired from law enforcement with plans to move to North Carolina or Tennessee. Things happen, we're still here. That said, this past year was one of the coldest winters but we use an electric radiator heater and only need the propane furnace in the early morning (below 50) or really freezing nights. Even with cooking we have only used three thirty lb. propane tanks this year so that's not really an issue for us. I live on a secluded lot (private) and my electricity is included in the lot rent. Summers eat up far more energy than winters here. From May until October we usually run two A/C's to keep things in the low to mid 70's.

We are discussing buying a secluded property and installing RV facilities for those who would be interested in something off the beaten path, yet not so far from civilization. Not near a beach (well, maybe 30 or so miles from the gulf) but wooded, large lots. Probably a half acre per RV. Close to an interstate, small town with a chain grocer or two, but the nearest Walmart being about 15 miles or so. Rivers, lakes, wildlife abundant. Preferably long term renters who appreciate peace and quiet. Does this sound attractive to any of you? Just bouncing an idea around.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
Is there a Walmart close to a beach any beach

An RV trip to Florida would certainly require a lot of planning...just getting there, planning stops, avoiding night driving, refueling...is tense enough All worth the stress once there setup in the sun with a cold beer and shorts on
I'm assuming guitarboy had a plan and is executing phase 2. Hope he checks in once in while with some details.
Robert, Just some quick info. Not all Walmarts allow over night "PARKING". In tourist areas where there are many campgrounds and motels the local municipalities have ordinances against it. The individual stores that do allow it usually frown on "Camping out" in their lots ... meaning don't put out awnings and furniture. You may also have to share the lot with overnight truckers trying log their sleep time. It is basically boondocking and dump stations can be few and far between. Anywhere close to the water or attractions will be pricey and mostly booked by now. Your best bet would be to research the trip and find campgrounds further inland and plan day trips to the beaches and book a stay before you get here.
Believe me it is worth the trip. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #11
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
I RV fulltime in my toy hauler here in the panhandle of Florida and have for about a year now. My wife and I sold our house after I retired from law enforcement with plans to move to North Carolina or Tennessee. Things happen, we're still here. That said, this past year was one of the coldest winters but we use an electric radiator heater and only need the propane furnace in the early morning (below 50) or really freezing nights. Even with cooking we have only used three thirty lb. propane tanks this year so that's not really an issue for us. I live on a secluded lot (private) and my electricity is included in the lot rent. Summers eat up far more energy than winters here. From May until October we usually run two A/C's to keep things in the low to mid 70's.

We are discussing buying a secluded property and installing RV facilities for those who would be interested in something off the beaten path, yet not so far from civilization. Not near a beach (well, maybe 30 or so miles from the gulf) but wooded, large lots. Probably a half acre per RV. Close to an interstate, small town with a chain grocer or two, but the nearest Walmart being about 15 miles or so. Rivers, lakes, wildlife abundant. Preferably long term renters who appreciate peace and quiet. Does this sound attractive to any of you? Just bouncing an idea around.

We don’t go full time until 2020 but I could see us renting a place like that to winter over in FL. If you decide to go that route let us know.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
We hope to escape a winter and RV down to Florida from up here in cold Toronto. Five months is indeed a long camping trip The thought of full timing for me is a crazy one...you'll want a nice/large RV for sure. I'd love to hear how its going from time to time. Curious about where you're staying/the cost...have you a spot booked or are you planning on different sites... maybe some boon docking maybe some Walmart? Five months in Florida sounds really warm, nice, and expensive mind you, close to the ocean/beach camping would be great!
Good luck and keep us posted
Robert, seems to me you are making a trip like this bigger than it is. We always book our places in advance; land in Nov., book the prior April or May for our normal site, 3 months in advance for others...depending on where you are going. Expense varies from 350 mo. to 2000; you have to look around and find your place to see what they have that you are interested in. We have no desire whatsoever to be sitting at the waters edge on the Gulf in a little confined RV park so we can pay double - none.

We don't do Walmart and always have a confirmed site - doesn't add a lot of expense but adds a ton of certainty and ability to plan. We do this all the time and think it's pretty easy; don't let what appears to be complicated slow you down - it's not. I spent months and months in a 24-25' travel trailer with no slides years ago and it was "OK" so you can do it. A much longer trailer with 3 slides makes it enjoyable.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:22 AM   #13
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I guess guitarboy is having too much of a good time to check in

I would definitely plan/book such a trip. Walmart would come in handy for an overnight stop if there's one on route. "Close" to the beach would be great...I think we'd move around and check out different sites trying to find the perfect one.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:14 AM   #14
notanlines

Bart, while I appreciate the thoughts you've put into your RV park idea, there are a couple of drawbacks that have crossed my mind. Your idea of half acre lots puts you at needing 30 acres to hold 45 RV's (roads, recreation, etc) As soon as you roll that past your engineer their eyes will roll and dollar signs will appear to cover the increased cost of 50 amp service, water, and sewer. Not to mention more WIFI mini-towers. When your dirt/paving contractor sees the additional layout he'll get that same big smile. And you'll find that the work-campers you've contacted won't come because they can't mow that fast in the time allotted.
I haven't even begun to cover the price you'd have to charge for being in an area with no beach, little warm weather, and the Wal-Mart is 15 miles away.
For that kind of money, snow birders want restaurants, entertainment, water, neighbors for "happy-hour."
I know I have been putting a wet blanket on the idea. And I also know I've exaggerated a little. But maybe I have given you something to think about.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 11-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #15
Jim 76

My wife and I have spent the last two winters work camping in Florida. In June we sold our home in Michigan and bought a 29 foot cougar. We now live in our Cougar full-time and are back work camping in Florida. Obviously this lifestyle is not for everyone but for us this is the only way to go.
Jim 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #16
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Bart, while I appreciate the thoughts you've put into your RV park idea, there are a couple of drawbacks that have crossed my mind. Your idea of half acre lots puts you at needing 30 acres to hold 45 RV's (roads, recreation, etc) As soon as you roll that past your engineer their eyes will roll and dollar signs will appear to cover the increased cost of 50 amp service, water, and sewer. Not to mention more WIFI mini-towers. When your dirt/paving contractor sees the additional layout he'll get that same big smile. And you'll find that the work-campers you've contacted won't come because they can't mow that fast in the time allotted.
I haven't even begun to cover the price you'd have to charge for being in an area with no beach, little warm weather, and the Wal-Mart is 15 miles away.
For that kind of money, snow birders want restaurants, entertainment, water, neighbors for "happy-hour."
I know I have been putting a wet blanket on the idea. And I also know I've exaggerated a little. But maybe I have given you something to think about.
I'm just seeing what kind of interest this may generate Jim. This part of the panhandle has two large RV parks and a handful of smaller parks. One has about 100 lots and you barely have enough room to open your slides and awning. I'm not kidding, it's packed. But it stays full. The other big one has 175 lots and they are a bit larger, all in rows. He usually has 80-120 units at any given time. Prices for long term at the first one is around $450 and the other one is about the same but he is closer to the interstate and gets a lot of overnighters at $45 IIRC. the smaller parks are in various states of disrepair and they also are short term at around $38-$45 a night. More than one vehicle or more than two people will get you a price increase at any of them, What I propose to offer is something full timers could appreciate in plenty of room, space for extra cars or trailers, peace and quiet with more privacy and security. I only want 8-10 units. Enough to pay for the property and improvements over a fairly short period of time. I am full timing on a semi private lot and am happy to pay more for that option rather than be packed in like sardines at the other parks. Just seeing if any others are like minded. I tentatively was entertaining $600-$650 per unit per month for full hook ups. Not sure about wi-fi. We use unlimited data on all our devices so I have not researched that yet.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #17
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Thanks for sharing that Jim...curious about "work camping" is it what it sounds like...working at the campground for free accommodations?

Hello guitarboy…are you still in Florida or did you find it too expensive
Old 11-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #18
notanlines

In our RV park in Florida the work-campers will report for chores on three days out of seven and work for four hours. That is for a total of 24 hours per week or about 104 hours per average month. For that they get their laundry machine money, RV lot rent and the electrical paid. It works out to about $7.00 per hour at our camp. There are many, many forms of work-camping all across North America. Texas oil fields use work campers to check workers in to the well site. Husband/wife teams alternate with each other working 6 on and 6 off 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They are paid $175 per day total, receive their lot, water, and electricity. They will share their lot with long horns, snakes and the like. They are also required to furnish their own uniform shirts and caps.
Sugar beet farmers in the Dakotas and Minnesota also use work campers to drive their beet trucks. Benefits are similar, but a little higher.
If you investigate work-camping you will find it pays very little, but it does keep retired men and women active.
We have close friends working the oil patch in southwest Texas as we speak. Should anyone be interested I will gladly pass on their email address.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 11-08-2018, 03:48 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
In our RV park in Florida the work-campers will report for chores on three days out of seven and work for four hours. That is for a total of 24 hours per week or about 104 hours per average month. For that they get their laundry machine money, RV lot rent and the electrical paid. It works out to about $7.00 per hour at our camp. There are many, many forms of work-camping all across North America. Texas oil fields use work campers to check workers in to the well site. Husband/wife teams alternate with each other working 6 on and 6 off 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They are paid $175 per day total, receive their lot, water, and electricity. They will share their lot with long horns, snakes and the like. They are also required to furnish their own uniform shirts and caps.
Sugar beet farmers in the Dakotas and Minnesota also use work campers to drive their beet trucks. Benefits are similar, but a little higher.
If you investigate work-camping you will find it pays very little, but it does keep retired men and women active.
We have close friends working the oil patch in southwest Texas as we speak. Should anyone be interested I will gladly pass on their email address.

Just to piggyback on what Jim said; in W TX where the oilfields are booming there are apparently all kinds of RV related ways to work. I was talking to an old acquaintance and they were paying him to stay in his RV and drive around the tank batteries just to check stuff. Not for me....I want to LEAVE W TX, not drive around tank batteries but I think there are LOTS of ways to be a work camper that some might enjoy. As for us, we don't really need anything to keep us "active"; by the time I wake up, eat breakfast, stretch out a bit, do some "homework", take a nap, sightsee, walk puppy, have a beverage or three, cook dinner (or reverse order) and watch TV for an hour or so.....I feel pretty "activated".....!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #20
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy52 View Post
Left Michigan on the 24th of Oct. Spent 6 nights in Indiana, 2 nights in Alabama, landed in Florida today, Nov. 1. No issues to report. Purchased Carlyle tires and TST Tire pressure Monitoring System prior to trip, gave a nice feeling of security knowing tires were performing as designed. Staying in Florida for 5 months, leaving at the end of March. Planning on offering to volunteer for hurricane cleanup help a day or two a week while we're here, we are on vacation, but, we can give some help. We figure this to be a trial run to going full time, figuring we will need to upgrade, but this will be a good test to decide if this is the life style for us. If interest is shown I'll post updates on the relief efforts and our full-time aspirations. Have a safe and happy winter.

2018 2520RL Passport
2015 2500HD Silverado
Glad you made it ok and good for you to help those affected by the hurricane
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote