Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #1
lpdandrea

Batteries in the Cabin?

Hello,
I want to add AGM batteries and an inverter/charger to our Outback 322BH. The only place that I can find to put them is in the space under the fwd queen bed. I would put a piece of plywood down to spread the load of three 8D batts and the inverter.
I'm concerned the inverter fans might bother us while we sleep if they are running.
A plus for me is that it would help balance the generator and bikes hanging off the rear end.
Has anyone tried this?
thanks!
lpdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If it were me, I wouldn't be putting any type of battery, AGM or not, in an enclosed space that is not ventilated - especially inside the RV under my bed!

While it is true that sealed AGM batteries do not emit gasses in the same way that a "normal" battery does, there is still a danger that if overcharging should occur, there is a possibility of an explosion. I think if you were to research the need for ventilation of AGM batteries, you would find the same thing.

For me, there would just be too much risk involved and I would be more worried about the danger of an explosion more than the noise of an inverter fan. Hydrogen gas and the ignition/flames from the fridge, furnace , HW heater and cooktop stove really is a bad combination. IMO, it's not a good idea. Why expose yourself and your family to an unnecessary and potentially dangerous risk?
Old 06-24-2016, 04:31 AM   #3
Pull Toy

+ 1 for Festus2....

Maybe a roof mount of some sort? It could be made water tight, and would not be as tall as your A/C unit, so clearance isn't an issue.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
mfifield01

My wife has a '12 Jeep GC and the battery is located in the cabin. It is under the passenger seat. It's an AGM battery. Jeep has been doing this since 2011.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:40 AM   #5
notanlines

Mfifield, go back and read what you wrote. There is a battery under the seat of an 'automobile with constant ventilation' and that makes it okay to put three of these under your wife's bed? Festus and Pulltoy were both correct and I can assure you that putting those batteries under the bed is wrong.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, while not trying to sound "uncaring", I'd say, "Go ahead, do it, just let me know if you're going to be in a remote campground in northern Michigan."

What that means is: It's your trailer, your family and your investment, I don't want to be anywhere near the scene of "your accident"....

There's always a chance that an AGM battery will fail, or the converter/charger will overcharge the battery causing it to release hydrogen gas. That alone is enough for me not to want a "ticking bomb" under my bed. Add to that the reason for having a "large battery bank" is to allow "remote camping" which is a "good thing" until you consider that fire and emergency responders are not going to be even "close" should anything happen.

So, if you're a "brave, foolish soul" and/or "have a desire to say, "Here, hold my beer and watch this..." then I'd say, "go for it".... Otherwise, I'd either vent the batteries (regardless of type) AND mount them OUTSIDE my living quarters/storage compartments......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #7
Desert185

Mine are mounted under my bed, but in a well ventilated front compartment with the landing gear. If I did mount it/them directly under the bed, I would at least enclose them in an enclosed battery box vented to the outside.

FWIW, the B-747 Nicad battery is in the cockpit under the flight engineer's panel and the Odyssey AGM is under the aft baggage on my airplane. The Super Cub can have a similar AGM lying on it's side under the front seat seat, so there are methods to safely accomplish battery placement in unlikely places.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
lpdandrea

I appreciate the concerns and I've always planned on some sort of ventilation if mostly for cooling. An ignition proof blower that runs any time the charger runs should be good as well as a sealed batt box that vents through the floor and belly pan.
The roof is creative but I hate penetrating the roof for anything and I question its ability to hold the weight. Plus its curved!
For me there is always a way it just depends on how much effort I want to put into it. I'm still curious how others have fit extra batteries into trailers without using all of their storage.
Thanks for all of the feedback!

2015 Outback 322BH
2017 Ram 2500
lpdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #9
spicercars

If you have ever seen a battery explode you would not want it under your bed. I don't care what anybody says they are not made to put under a bed. Just my opinion.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdandrea View Post
I'm still curious how others have fit extra batteries into trailers without using all of their storage.
Have you considered relocating some of the items normally kept in your storage areas (lawn chairs, for example) to under your bed and installing the 8D's in those cargo areas instead. This may mean that some items may not be as handy and accessible as previously but safety trumps convenience in your case.

They would still require proper ventilation to the outside and placement in a safe, sealed and secure battery box.

Don't forget that hydrogen is much, much lighter than air which would require some means of directing any gases downward and to the exterior.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #11
PerryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
The Super Cub can have a similar AGM lying on it's side under the front seat seat, so there are methods to safely accomplish battery placement in unlikely places.
I resemble that remark.
I also would not be afraid of AGM's under the bed, assuming they are in sealed boxes and well vented to the outside. The inverter is going to need ventilation also, for cooling. I don't think noise will be an issue, because once the 120v loads are shut down for the night the inverter fan will be stopping shortly thereafter.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #12
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Mfifield, go back and read what you wrote. There is a battery under the seat of an 'automobile with constant ventilation' and that makes it okay to put three of these under your wife's bed? Festus and Pulltoy were both correct and I can assure you that putting those batteries under the bed is wrong.
I didn't say it was okay or suggested even doing it. I was just showing an example of how it was done in an automobile.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #13
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
My wife has a '12 Jeep GC and the battery is located in the cabin. It is under the passenger seat. It's an AGM battery. Jeep has been doing this since 2011.
My wife's Volvo XC70 has the lead acid battery located with the spare tire under the rear deck, essentially vented to the interior of the car without a battery box.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #14
Yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
My wife's Volvo XC70 has the lead acid battery located with the spare tire under the rear deck, essentially vented to the interior of the car without a battery box.
They are sealed with a vent tube
Old 06-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #15
Desert185

It does have a vent tube, but I'm not so sure the caps aren't vented.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:40 AM   #16
mark23487

I agree! I would never put batteries in a living space!
mark23487 is offline   Reply With Quote