Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #31
flybouy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I agree with your first paragraph; the 2nd one, not so much.

I am a homeowner; bought my first one before I turned 21 and have owned at least one since; had 4 until 3 years ago now have 2 working on one I hope in the somewhere near future. I can wrench on cars, boats and bikes as well as do most anything that building a house requires. I have the knowledge and ability to repair most anything I come across, but, I DO NOT buy vehicles, boats or RVs used. I've never had success with buying used anything so stopped when I was about 25. I will say that I have bought older vehicles to rebuild as toys; CJ7, Ramcharger, Bronco etc.

Buying used works for some folks and they don't mind the inconveniences of it failing then fixing it. I do not have the patience for it because it always happens at the most inopportune moment and causes problems for not only me but those with me; ie; getting stranded with a failed fuel pump on a Sunday returning from the mountains with friends then laying in the parking lot of a Ford dealer soaked with gas while replacing it (the lead salesman there was my friend and went with the parts guy to set one out for me when I finally made it to the dealership). I had made the mistake of keeping that vehicle until it had over 90k - not any more. The same reason I will not keep tires on a vehicle past 40-50k - don't want the hassle of a failed tire.

Just saying that not ALL folks that buy new vs buying used are "renters" that are unfamiliar with the "workings" of whatever. Nor do those like me have to "call a number" to have someone else fix it. My belief is just don't have the issue in the first place, or don't buy something just to wait to see what breaks. I know there are those on both sides of this fence and that is as it should be. JMO
I think maybe you didn't understand, or I didn't make it clear enough but if you reread the last sentence I said the "homeowner type" has more options in buying new or used. I've done plenty of both in buying new and used and had success and failure in both. What I'm trying to convey is that if you have no mechanical aptitude, are unable or unwilling to pay someone else to do it for you, then perhaps buying used without a warranty or with a limited warranty either in scope or term may not be a good decision.

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM   #32
hornet28

I still think a dealer should be cleaning them up and making sure things work unless it's an as is deal. I'm 74 and I can't begin to count how many cars and trucks I've had but I've only bought three new. As far as buying from a dealer maybe a dozen including the new ones were bought from a dealer. if you don't know how to look past the "Lipstick" you might have a problem. I learned to do that years ago. If you don't mind taking the hit as soon as it's driven/pulled off the lot fine I don't care to do that. The last truck, 02 Chevy HD, I bought new I kept for 11 years only got rid of it because I wanted to go to a diesel, the one I have now

30' Hornet
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote