Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
ubhistory

water heater bypass question

I have a Cougar half-ton 22rbswe, and I went to winterize the trailer and open the tank location and after watching enough videos about this I am puzzled. On the back of the water heater my cold water line (IN) is the only line that has a off valve on it, the hot (out) and the bypass both have no valves on them. what is going to keep the antifreeze from going into the water heater or does the tank have a built in one way valve on it to prevent reverse flow during winterizing?
I asked Keystone and they were a little unclear so I'm hoping the forums can get me an clear answer.
I live in Canada so I'm assuming the trailer came with a bypass kit on it?
ubhistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If your trailer was built properly (we have to assume it was), there is a single "quarter turn valve" on the cold water input to the water heater. There is a one way valve on the hot water output. The two valves, direct water either "into the water heater" or "into the bypass tube" of the winterizing system.

So, when you "bypass the water heater" and drain the tank by removing the anode rod (Suburban) or the plastic plug (Atwood) the hot water discharge "one way valve" will prevent any antifreeze or water from entering the water heater.

If you can see the back of your water heater clearly, you'll find a plastic valve attached to the brass collar on the top fitting. That plastic (usually light blue) valve is the one way valve. They do occasionally fail, but not that often.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #3
travelin texans

While you're back there if the one way on the hot output is plastic spend a couple bucks & change it to a brass one, over time vibration/heat WILL crack the plastic one causing a mess, been there, done that more than once.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater