Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2018, 05:13 AM   #1
Ddubya

Tornado's, What to do?

What are your plans in case of a Tornado or other severe weather in the area where you are camped?

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:41 AM   #2
BrentB

Head for the nearest, strongest building, usually the restrooms.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:59 AM   #3
JSquared

One of the reasons we upgraded to a TT from a pop up was severe weather. In the popup, it was scramble to get it dropped and get somewhere safe. We’ve spent hours in a Walmart riding the storm out but one of our favorites was going to a bowling alley. Granted, we had enough warning to do those things. If we get little to no warning, we’ll head to the shower house, park store or whatever building we can find.

2016 Bullet 287QBS
2017 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Duramax
JSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

In most "tornado prone areas" you'll see signs in the campgrounds with instructions on where the nearest tornado shelter is located. In Wichita, the two campgrounds where we stay both have tornado shelters on site. One is the bath house and the other is the basement of the campground owner's home (at the front of the campground). If you're in a campground where a tornado is even a remote possibility, during check-in, ask about the emergency procedures.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
IHnutz

I usually run waving my hands in the air, screaming and yelling "Oh my god we're all gonna die !!!!!!!!

Then my wife slaps me and we go to the nearest designated emergency shelter.
IHnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

The restroom/bath house would be my first choice for two reasons. 1 It's probably the closest sturdy building and 2 if it gets really bad and I get really scared it may save me a trip.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHnutz View Post
I usually run waving my hands in the air, screaming and yelling "Oh my god we're all gonna die !!!!!!!!

Then my wife slaps me and we go to the nearest designated emergency shelter.
hahahaha...thanks I needed a good laugh!!!

But seriously, when we were on the Florida panhandle this past March near Destin, tornadoes were in the forecast on the planned departure date. We were going to try to extend a few more nights, but we thought best to get out of Dodge, actually Freeport FL, and headed east toward safer grounds.

Being newbies, this thread is very useful info. Thanks to OP and responders!!

Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
laidback

Mike I think you should hang around and wait for storms to be over Jeter needs the work. I'm back at Ft Chiswell
Old 06-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #9
packnrat

best like a line from babalon 5.

" if you value your lives, be someplace else".

after 58 years in "earth quake country" we get no warnings. but most are nothing, maybe another crack in a wall someplace. or things thrown from the shelving.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
Bob Phillips

Tornado Safety

If the nearby bath house is constructed of block it should be the best choice. Particularly in case of an actual Tornado Warning. You definitely don't want to get caught on the road, and immediate action should be taken. I also recommend avoiding large buildings with expansive roofs such as a Walmart or a Bowling Alley. If you are in such a building, again, head for the bathroom. You need the strong vertical walls that can protect you from a roof collapse.

Retired Emergency Manager
Bob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #11
packnrat

i have never understood why the bilding codes do not require every building to meet or excide a level that can provide a safe area for human life?
heck even in china they have building codes for safety, not that a apt bilding or three can not fall over.

yes i do know a torando is the most destructive wind on planet earth. but to a point even a building can surive all but a direct hit from a nuke.
not that all of a building will surive. but at least a good sized part of it as the "safe room". the news just shows every thing but the pad gone or torn to splinters. and for some reason mobile homes are very comen.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #12
grey ghost

We usually head to the bathhouse which are usually concrete block construction, much safer than the tin can RV! Or you can ride it out inside the RV and bend over, grab you ankles and kiss you A__ good-bye
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #13
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
We usually head to the bathhouse which are usually concrete block construction, much safer than the tin can RV! Or you can ride it out inside the RV and bend over, grab you ankles and kiss you A__ good-bye
Having grown up in Central Tx and the Gulf coast I guess I'm immune to worrying about it... Been in and around several over the years...

It's like the old Duck and Cover drills we had in school... like you said.. bend over and kiss..

Last one we were near … March of 2017 we sat in the trailer and watched a movie.. Didn't amount to much.. the only damage in the park... folks from the tent were in the restroom..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copper Breaks March 2017.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	17154  
Old 06-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #14
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback View Post
Mike I think you should hang around and wait for storms to be over Jeter needs the work. I'm back at Ft Chiswell
LOL! Actually "Team Jeter" has been quite busy this time of year. Here are a few pics from an actual search latter part of last month.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180518_185421-1_resized.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	603.7 KB
ID:	17156   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180518_182854_resized.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	17157   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180518_180451-1_resized.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	17158  

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
boxcar

My wife didn’t go to the bathhouse near our Arctic Fox during a tornado warning because “it was too scary to go out” and rode it out. She woke up to this the next morning. Good thing she wasn’t in the car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D2BA603F-DD37-47AA-9BB0-A2F2FDB328B4.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	17165  
B&W Turnover Ball & Companion Hitch
Torklift Stableload Rear Suspension & Revolution Steps
Handi Lift Elevator (not yet installed)
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:40 AM   #16
LuvsPalmTrees

We actually have been in 2 tornado's while camping. One in Ohio and one in Traverse City. Both when we owned our Pop Up. Pretty scary. Ohio moved our pop up about 4 inches and scattered everyone's stuff all over the place. Traverse City we were just coming back from the store and missed it by a few minutes. Not much happened to our pop up. The owners were really great and came around to each site to see if you were okay and needed anything.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:04 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
i have never understood why the bilding codes do not require every building to meet or excide a level that can provide a safe area for human life?
heck even in china they have building codes for safety, not that a apt bilding or three can not fall over.

yes i do know a torando is the most destructive wind on planet earth. but to a point even a building can surive all but a direct hit from a nuke.
not that all of a building will surive. but at least a good sized part of it as the "safe room". the news just shows every thing but the pad gone or torn to splinters. and for some reason mobile homes are very comen.
Building codes are for the most part to ensure the safety of the building. Some local jurisdictions will have codes that are pertinent to the area. Many jurisdictions in "Tornado Alley" do require a shelter or storm proof bunker. Some earthquake prone areas have codes requiring extra reinforcements. Mobile homes and RVs are very susceptible to high winds as the bottom rests on pillars of stacked concrete blocks and the RV's on stbalizers and tires. So a long, narrow box has a very large sail area on the side, open to the wind on the bottom, and very little stabilization from side to side, a perfect recipe to be blown over.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #18
travelin texans

If you've ever seen the destruction of a direct hit by a F5 tornado, we have, you'd know why/how they couldn't build a structure to withstand it. We've seen it suck the basement out of the ground & not blow the bicycles off their kickstands 20' away or a playing card driven into a tree. SHEER DESTRUCTION! Don't worry about your rv, truck or any stuff, take shelter in the smallest strongest building available!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:42 AM   #19
DOWva

IHnutz, that's funny I don't care who you are.

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote