Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2023, 10:27 AM   #1
Susandm

Grey tank removal

Can someone tell me how the grey tank under kitchen sink is held in place?
I have an 08 keystone outback fifth wheel. This is my "tiny home". It is a permanent structure on my land hooked up to a septic tank. The tank is clogged up and leaking, smells terrible! I want to just remove the tank and bypass it, as it's not needed. I've got the pipe coming out of the tank unhooked, and realize I have to cut the pipes going into the tank but I don't see how it's held in place. I don't see any straps, bolts, nothing. It's got to be secured under there somehow!
Thank you!
Susandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 11:09 AM   #2
Martian

Typically there will be two removable brackets on either the ends or sides of the tank that hold the tank up. Might look permanent but they are not.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 11:53 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susandm View Post
Can someone tell me how the grey tank under kitchen sink is held in place?
I have an 08 keystone outback fifth wheel. This is my "tiny home". It is a permanent structure on my land hooked up to a septic tank. The tank is clogged up and leaking, smells terrible! I want to just remove the tank and bypass it, as it's not needed. I've got the pipe coming out of the tank unhooked, and realize I have to cut the pipes going into the tank but I don't see how it's held in place. I don't see any straps, bolts, nothing. It's got to be secured under there somehow!
Thank you!
You might want to reconsider removing the tank. How did it clog if it’s the kitchen gray tank? Too much grease or food particles? Did you leave the drain open all the time?

You can clean it, and save yourself lots of extra work.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 03:20 PM   #4
Susandm

It does look permanent! I'll crawl under there and look again, thanks for your reply
Old 11-07-2023, 03:30 PM   #5
Susandm

It's not completely clogged. I disconnected the outgoing pipe and was able to stick my hand in and I felt lots of gunk. The sink never clogged, it was the smell and water dripping from underneath that started this whole mess. The actual tank is leaking. So instead of trying to repair something I don't need, I was just gonna take it out
Old 11-07-2023, 04:03 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
It's not completely clogged. I disconnected the outgoing pipe and was able to stick my hand in and I felt lots of gunk. The sink never clogged, it was the smell and water dripping from underneath that started this whole mess. The actual tank is leaking. So instead of trying to repair something I don't need, I was just gonna take it out
If the tank is broken and leaking, a sawzall might be the answer. My tanks in my ancient Cougar sit on L brackets that can be unbolted and pushed out of the way and the tanks then come out if disconnected to the drains. Another tip, don't stick you hand in a tank as it is likely to be somewhat disgusting.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:36 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Where is the leak? If it’s at the valve or where the valve assembly goes into the tank, repair is less than $50 and a lot less trouble than removing the tank.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 01:12 PM   #8
Susandm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If the tank is broken and leaking, a sawzall might be the answer. My tanks in my ancient Cougar sit on L brackets that can be unbolted and pushed out of the way and the tanks then come out if disconnected to the drains. Another tip, don't stick you hand in a tank as it is likely to be somewhat disgusting.
Sawzall... Exactly what I was thinking. Cuz I've been back under there and I see absolutely nothing holding that thing in. So I'm about ready to just start taking it out piece by piece
Old 11-12-2023, 01:15 PM   #9
Susandm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Where is the leak? If it’s at the valve or where the valve assembly goes into the tank, repair is less than $50 and a lot less trouble than removing the tank.
It's somewhere on the top. And I'd just rather get rid of it, one less thing to fall apart, clog up or leak.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:19 PM   #10
Susandm

Just an FYI. There were not any bolts, clamps holding that gray tank underneath my kitchen sink. The lips of the tank just went over the top of the braces in the bottom of the trailer. I could not wedge it out got so mad I indeed got the sawzall and cut a hole through it, connected my PVC pipe, done. Hope I never have to crawl under there again!

Tags
tank