Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2023, 02:51 PM   #1
gearhead

What’s next?

About 3 weeks ago my eye started hurting. Went to an eye clinic. The more they looked at it the more they seemed concerned. Then they said I had a detached retina. Had surgery 2 days later. Installed the gas bubble and put a silicone ring around it. Check up next day said it was looking OK. We rented the Marquis de Sade chair…face in a donut looking down. Also a contraption that slipped under the mattress with a donut to put my face in. Used them for week. Next check up was good, come back in 3 weeks.
So that’s where I’m at now. Check up next week. I can’t see much out of the eye. I can tell where the windows are and if the TV is on. Haven’t been past the mail box, about to go crazy.
Cancelled two trips.
Other than it’s 100F and feels like 110F.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:16 PM   #2
notanlines

My friend in Arizona just sent this to me after my text to him: It came from Google. He said it is much like his experience.
“ During the post-operative period: Your eye may be uncomfortable for several weeks, particularly if a scleral buckle has been used. Your vision will be blurry – it may take some weeks or even three to six months for your vision to improve. Your eye may water.”
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:26 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Hang in there Brent. Look at the bright side - the checkups are good. Vision is one of those things we definitely don't want to lose so all those hoops you go through are for the better.

I've never had a detached retina. Know of people that did but don't know details. I'm assuming you're putting drops in the eye? I had cataracts and astigmatisms removed from both eyes and things went good. So good I don't have to wear glasses any longer (other than to read...which I never had to before ).

A few months after the surgeries I decided to take my "big" weedeater out and wipe out some honeysuckle vines at the bottom of a couple of trees. Had that thing howling, leaves, vines and debris flying 10 yards in every direction - some of those old vines were large and dead. I was swinging that thing watching what I was mowing down and all I saw was a light brown ball coming at me at a zillion miles an hour and whack, it hit me square in the eyeball..no time to close the eye. Intense pain and ache, dropped the weedeater and grabbed the eye then stumbled toward the house. I figured I had just lost my eye...couldn't see a thing. Just had those surgeries, just got 20/20 vision for the first time in my life and here I go and wipe out an eyeball! I was POd. The bad thing was I had always worn glasses all my life and in later years always with safety lenses so I didn't usually put on protective eyewear for something like that - didn't even think about not having anything on.

Long story to say that the eye is almost well. They are remarkable, even miraculous, things. They are very tough and we have great doctors with unbelievable technology these days. It takes a while for the eyes to heal. The swelling from the surgery distorts your vision and it won't be right until everything is completely healed. It's been about 6 weeks on my little fiasco and my next doctor visit is day after tomorrow. It's about well with just a little blurriness if I look to the sides. Be patient and let it get well.

Now for the heat. Read in the paper yesterday that it's been about 15 days over 100. I think we've had the last 5 days over 105. Saturday was 111, Friday was 110 IIRC etc. (actual temps) Just took puppy out and it's 108. I don't mind much up to 100 or so. Over 105 the air kind of feels warm when you breathe it in. Looks like that global cooling spell we've been having for the past few years is letting up and it's getting back like it was in the '80s/'90s. Good luck and get well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:33 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

100F? Need to head down your way. 105F right now in sunny Mico. May these temps and your discomfort pass quickly.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:36 PM   #5
Max23

Wow, lots to go through. Hang in there dude. Do what they say and be patient, hard I know, but time will heal, I hope its a shorter rather than longer time for your complete recovery.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 04:23 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
About 3 weeks ago my eye started hurting. Went to an eye clinic. The more they looked at it the more they seemed concerned. Then they said I had a detached retina. Had surgery 2 days later. Installed the gas bubble and put a silicone ring around it. Check up next day said it was looking OK. We rented the Marquis de Sade chair…face in a donut looking down. Also a contraption that slipped under the mattress with a donut to put my face in. Used them for week. Next check up was good, come back in 3 weeks.
So that’s where I’m at now. Check up next week. I can’t see much out of the eye. I can tell where the windows are and if the TV is on. Haven’t been past the mail box, about to go crazy.
Cancelled two trips.
Other than it’s 100F and feels like 110F.
Doesn’t sound like fun
Old 06-27-2023, 04:49 PM   #7
dutchmensport

What's that expression? "Patients is a virtue!"

It's like the guy in Church that went to the altar and prayed. The minister asked him what he was praying for. The fellow said, "I'm praying for patients, and I want it right now!"

I know it's hard sometimes to recover from life's curve balls, but it sounds like you got some good doctors who are leading you the right way. Hang in there, thing will get better.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:54 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post

It's like the guy in Church that went to the altar and prayed. The minister asked him what he was praying for. The fellow said, "I'm praying for patients, and I want it right now!"

I know it's hard sometimes to recover from life's curve balls, but it sounds like you got some good doctors who are leading you the right way. Hang in there, thing will get better.
That is kind of ironic. Brent is a patient who needs patience... patience is a virtue and NEVER ask the good Lord for patience as there is only one way to develop it.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:56 PM   #9
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
My friend in Arizona just sent this to me after my text to him: It came from Google. He said it is much like his experience.
“ During the post-operative period: Your eye may be uncomfortable for several weeks, particularly if a scleral buckle has been used. Your vision will be blurry – it may take some weeks or even three to six months for your vision to improve. Your eye may water.”
Yep that’s me blurry and uncomfortable the buckle is what they called the silicone ring.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 06-27-2023, 07:07 PM   #10
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Hang in there Brent. Look at the bright side - the checkups are good. Vision is one of those things we definitely don't want to lose so all those hoops you go through are for the better.

I've never had a detached retina. Know of people that did but don't know details. I'm assuming you're putting drops in the eye? I had cataracts and astigmatisms removed from both eyes and things went good. So good I don't have to wear glasses any longer (other than to read...which I never had to before ).

A few months after the surgeries I decided to take my "big" weedeater out and wipe out some honeysuckle vines at the bottom of a couple of trees. Had that thing howling, leaves, vines and debris flying 10 yards in every direction - some of those old vines were large and dead. I was swinging that thing watching what I was mowing down and all I saw was a light brown ball coming at me at a zillion miles an hour and whack, it hit me square in the eyeball..no time to close the eye. Intense pain and ache, dropped the weedeater and grabbed the eye then stumbled toward the house. I figured I had just lost my eye...couldn't see a thing. Just had those surgeries, just got 20/20 vision for the first time in my life and here I go and wipe out an eyeball! I was POd. The bad thing was I had always worn glasses all my life and in later years always with safety lenses so I didn't usually put on protective eyewear for something like that - didn't even think about not having anything on.

Long story to say that the eye is almost well. They are remarkable, even miraculous, things. They are very tough and we have great doctors with unbelievable technology these days. It takes a while for the eyes to heal. The swelling from the surgery distorts your vision and it won't be right until everything is completely healed. It's been about 6 weeks on my little fiasco and my next doctor visit is day after tomorrow. It's about well with just a little blurriness if I look to the sides. Be patient and let it get well.

Now for the heat. Read in the paper yesterday that it's been about 15 days over 100. I think we've had the last 5 days over 105. Saturday was 111, Friday was 110 IIRC etc. (actual temps) Just took puppy out and it's 108. I don't mind much up to 100 or so. Over 105 the air kind of feels warm when you breathe it in. Looks like that global cooling spell we've been having for the past few years is letting up and it's getting back like it was in the '80s/'90s. Good luck and get well.
Oh yeah, started with 3 different drops 4X a day. I’m down to 1 drop 3X a day. And those of us that worked refineries have eye safety pounded in our brains. I usually wear some kind of eye protection. The son came over to mow and edge this afternoon. Slipped on his safety glasses first.
You know Houston..dew point and humidity almost as high as temps.
I checked the forecasted overnight temp for Chama…47F.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 06-27-2023, 07:11 PM   #11
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post

Those old cotton and oil barons left us a huge pile of money for hospitals.
Houston has the best doctors and medical care in the world.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 06-27-2023, 07:27 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=gearhead;539831]Oh yeah, started with 3 different drops 4X a day. I’m down to 1 drop 3X a day. And those of us that worked refineries have eye safety pounded in our brains. I usually wear some kind of eye protection. The son came over to mow and edge this afternoon. Slipped on his safety glasses first.
I checked the forecasted overnight temp for Chama…47F.[/QUOTE]

No Brent, No! Don't be looking at that stuff when you're stuck, it just makes it all harder. Chama....DW and I were just talking yesterday about having to get back to Pagosa. Man I'm ready. She wants to go to Lake Whitney and see DS and I want to go catch trout...hmmm; cool, beautiful, fishing good eats or....Whitney; 100+ and nothing (he does live at the lake). At least I gave him a bass boat a few years back but all I'd want to do is dive in the lake.....but probably couldn't get back in the boat.
Old 06-29-2023, 04:30 PM   #13
gearhead

[QUOTE=sourdough;539833]
Quote:
Oh yeah, started with 3 different drops 4X a day. I’m down to 1 drop 3X a day. And those of us that worked refineries have eye safety pounded in our brains. I usually wear some kind of eye protection. The son came over to mow and edge this afternoon. Slipped on his safety glasses first.
I checked the forecasted overnight temp for Chama…47F.[/QUOTE]

No Brent, No! Don't be looking at that stuff when you're stuck, it just makes it all harder. Chama....DW and I were just talking yesterday about having to get back to Pagosa. Man I'm ready. She wants to go to Lake Whitney and see DS and I want to go catch trout...hmmm; cool, beautiful, fishing good eats or....Whitney; 100+ and nothing (he does live at the lake). At least I gave him a bass boat a few years back but all I'd want to do is dive in the lake.....but probably couldn't get back in the boat.
LOL. Yeah it will drive me crazy. Short trip. À
Lake Whitney…that has to be hot. Twenty years ago we were moving daughter out of her dorm at Baylor in June. That was as hot as I had been until I worked the EagleFord Shale at Catarina. Me and my compadres trying to stand in the shade of a 4 “ pipe.
I’m getting to where I don’t want to do much adventuring without my son around. I was thinking about fishing Sabine Lake until it got so hot. But then I thought what happens if I hit a log or get stuck by myself. Not good.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 06-29-2023, 05:51 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=gearhead;539968]
Quote:

LOL. Yeah it will drive me crazy. Short trip. À
Lake Whitney…that has to be hot. Twenty years ago we were moving daughter out of her dorm at Baylor in June. That was as hot as I had been until I worked the EagleFord Shale at Catarina. Me and my compadres trying to stand in the shade of a 4 “ pipe.
I’m getting to where I don’t want to do much adventuring without my son around. I was thinking about fishing Sabine Lake until it got so hot. But then I thought what happens if I hit a log or get stuck by myself. Not good.

Yep. Used to throw a boat in the water, run all over the place day or night by myself and think nothing of it. Jump in the water and thought I was a water dog...then it became a log....now pretty much a rock I'm afeared. Used to jump out of the boat, swim around back and cut fishing line wrapped up on the prop; if I jumped in I'd probably sink, if I didn't sink I'd never be able to just reach "up there" and pull myself back up over the gunnel.

Those are the reasons I gave 2 boats away and just go with someone now. I debated on that but I watched my 2 "old" uncles (younger than I am now) out fishing on Lake Stamford in their boat many decades ago. Finished fishing the spot, Uncle A went back to the motor and fired it up (old pull to start Johnson outboard with the tiller handle). It was in gear and he had the throttle cranked up for starting. Pulled that thing and the boat took off, he went off the back and uncle B went off the side...that was a deal. They were in the water and the boat was locked in a circle. It's a wonder they didn't get chopped up (I've seen what that looks like). We (dad and I - dad mainly) were able to push into their boat with our boat, push it away from them and (to this day I don't know how) dad jumped into the other boat while I steered the one we were in. At the time it was just something you had to do, nowadays when I think back...man. I can't do that these days - and they don't make boats like those old Lone Stars.

I do however want to get down to Whitney and go out. That lake has been hot (fishing wise) and DS has been pulling in LOADS of stripers and largemouth. Called 4-5 days ago and they went out catfishing; he and his friends brought in over 100lbs. in not too long and had a big fish fry. OR...think about Williams Creek or Williams Reservoir up by Pagosa - pulled a lot of trout out of them...mainly the creek. OR, the Piedras, Navajo....might even trek over to Platoro Reservoir and the Conejos river. Used to be stellar trout fishing and I saw one of the largest what I think was a brownie swimming in a pool on that river and I just couldn't make dinner good enough for him.

Cool your jets. Let the eye heal and just think of all those places you're going to go and fun yet to be had.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:06 PM   #15
gearhead

[QUOTE=sourdough;539971]
Quote:

Yep. Used to throw a boat in the water, run all over the place day or night by myself and think nothing of it. Jump in the water and thought I was a water dog...then it became a log....now pretty much a rock I'm afeared. Used to jump out of the boat, swim around back and cut fishing line wrapped up on the prop; if I jumped in I'd probably sink, if I didn't sink I'd never be able to just reach "up there" and pull myself back up over the gunnel.

Those are the reasons I gave 2 boats away and just go with someone now. I debated on that but I watched my 2 "old" uncles (younger than I am now) out fishing on Lake Stamford in their boat many decades ago. Finished fishing the spot, Uncle A went back to the motor and fired it up (old pull to start Johnson outboard with the tiller handle). It was in gear and he had the throttle cranked up for starting. Pulled that thing and the boat took off, he went off the back and uncle B went off the side...that was a deal. They were in the water and the boat was locked in a circle. It's a wonder they didn't get chopped up (I've seen what that looks like). We (dad and I - dad mainly) were able to push into their boat with our boat, push it away from them and (to this day I don't know how) dad jumped into the other boat while I steered the one we were in. At the time it was just something you had to do, nowadays when I think back...man. I can't do that these days - and they don't make boats like those old Lone Stars.

I do however want to get down to Whitney and go out. That lake has been hot (fishing wise) and DS has been pulling in LOADS of stripers and largemouth. Called 4-5 days ago and they went out catfishing; he and his friends brought in over 100lbs. in not too long and had a big fish fry. OR...think about Williams Creek or Williams Reservoir up by Pagosa - pulled a lot of trout out of them...mainly the creek. OR, the Piedras, Navajo....might even trek over to Platoro Reservoir and the Conejos river. Used to be stellar trout fishing and I saw one of the largest what I think was a brownie swimming in a pool on that river and I just couldn't make dinner good enough for him.

Cool your jets. Let the eye heal and just think of all those places you're going to go and fun yet to be had.
We were watching Louisiana Law a few nights ago. It’s about Game Wardens. Very much like Lone Star Law. I think we watched about every show since my cousin Lauren was our county GW and was on the show a lot. Anyway someone had found a boat in the Louisiana marsh with no one in it. The only clue was a broken cord on the troll motor lift. They dragged the marsh and recovered his body. Yeah I’ve been there and almost went overboard when my pull cord broke. I fish a lot of areas that it’s a very long swim to shore or I’m in a bayou full of gators.
No country for an old man.
I’ve got a 21ft NauticStar bay boat in the garage that hasn’t moved since last October. Son is too busy to use it. My fishing neighbor is too cranky to take anymore.
It’s too hot to fish anyway.
We might get some rain Monday.
Different subject. Since I had the disc brakes and new bearings installed I haven’t done any bearing repacks. You?
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 06-29-2023, 07:27 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=gearhead;539973]
Quote:
We were watching Louisiana Law a few nights ago. It’s about Game Wardens. Very much like Lone Star Law. I think we watched about every show since my cousin Lauren was our county GW and was on the show a lot. Anyway someone had found a boat in the Louisiana marsh with no one in it. The only clue was a broken cord on the troll motor lift. They dragged the marsh and recovered his body. Yeah I’ve been there and almost went overboard when my pull cord broke. I fish a lot of areas that it’s a very long swim to shore or I’m in a bayou full of gators.
No country for an old man.
I’ve got a 21ft NauticStar bay boat in the garage that hasn’t moved since last October. Son is too busy to use it. My fishing neighbor is too cranky to take anymore.
It’s too hot to fish anyway.
We might get some rain Monday.
Different subject. Since I had the disc brakes and new bearings installed I haven’t done any bearing repacks. You?

I have not. I pulled the caps and looked in them and haven't seen the need as of yet.
Old 06-30-2023, 03:26 PM   #17
gearhead

[QUOTE=sourdough;539976]
Quote:

I have not. I pulled the caps and looked in them and haven't seen the need as of yet.
That’s more than I have done. I watched pretty close installing the bearings. They knew what they were doing. I don’t think I have 5000 miles on them.
Thinking at least 2 more years.
New issue: son told me his cur dog got bit by a water moccasin last night. She must have smelled it in a wet spot, was sniffing around in the mud and he got her on the foot. No treatment. She is fine today. Her kennel mate ate a coral snake earlier this year. No effects.
I about stepped on a timber rattler last fall. Rethinking the benefits of dogs.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 06-30-2023, 04:07 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Son has 5 Great Danes that patrol his property at Lake Whitney. They encounter and kill copperheads. In the process they get bit quite often. He said he knows when they get bit and just puts them in a dark kennel (they have a large airconditioned building outside to stay in part of the time) then leaves them overnight. Next day back to patroling.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:47 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

We have some rattlesnake issues when it is dry here in the Hill Country and get our mutts rattlesnake shots at the vet. Had one of our dogs bit a few years ago and spent a bucket of money to keep him alive... the shots apparently help when a dog is bit. We don't have any copperheads near as I can tell but do have a lot of coral snakes. The dog that was bit took delight in killing coral snakes and I think that is what got him into trouble with the rattler. His name was Buddy, a German Shepard/Eskimo dog mix and was the only of our many mutts that wasn't a wimp.