Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:23 AM   #41
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Actually Andersen uses aircraft grade alluminum, so if you don't trust it, perhaps you should refrain from flying in the future

And weight wasn't the advantage I was speaking of, but I digress. Each to thier own.

Nice try.

Forgive us if we don't buy in to the comparison with aviation standards and testing for passenger aircraft vs a trailer hitch.

Using your logic, Lippert frames and skyscrapers are built with the same QC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2017, 06:29 AM   #42
John&Genny

Nice try, but you are saying that Curt, Reese, and others have a higher construction standard than Andersen? I don't buy that either.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #43
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I'll pass... I ain't gonna own no aluminum pickup or hitch... y'all go ahead without me...

Aluminum has a valid use for many things like antennas, beer cans and boats; but pickup beds and 5th wheel hitches ain't among 'em. And if I got to worry about the weight of my hitch I need a bigger truck....
They do make a steel, railed version, BTW, if you are aluminum averse. Both are 24,000# tow and 4500# pin weight rated.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:57 AM   #44
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Nice try, but you are saying that Curt, Reese, and others have a higher construction standard than Andersen? I don't buy that either.

I never said that nor did I imply it... however you point blank drew a comparison with aviation and your beloved Andersen.

However... when taking the lighter-softer metal approach, more engineering is required than a brute-force solution like steel. Plus, 5th wheel designs have been well established for ages.

Your goose-neck jury-rig is a bit different. All I am saying is, I will pass on it.

Not sure why you are so sensitive about it...

Old 08-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #45
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
I never said that nor did I imply it... however you point blank drew a comparison with aviation and your beloved Andersen.

However... when taking the lighter-softer metal approach, more engineering is required than a brute-force solution like steel. Plus, 5th wheel designs have been well established for ages.

Your goose-neck jury-rig is a bit different. All I am saying is, I will pass on it.

Not sure why you are so sensitive about it...

I've refrained from jumping in on this. I have an Andersen for the last 3 years, after having a traditional 5th wheel hitch for many years. I like it, it works for me, it has advantages that I want over traditional 5th wheel hitches. I don't push them, advocate for them, nor do I get a commission on selling them. I simply like mine. If you don't like it, don't buy one!

However, for you to call it a "goose-neck jury-rig" in a passive aggressive manner and then poke fun at someone who defends their choice by claiming they are being "so sensitive" then you're behaving like an internet troll, in my opinion.

If you don't like Andersen's design, don't buy one. If you haven't tried one, perhaps you could simply present why you like what you have, and let others do the same.

Your comments are argument provoking and then you slide back with "why are you being so sensitive" ... not helpful in the least, in my opinion.

Greg
Old 08-01-2017, 07:13 AM   #46
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
I've refrained from jumping in on this. I have an Andersen for the last 3 years, after having a traditional 5th wheel hitch for many years. I like it, it works for me, it has advantages that I want over traditional 5th wheel hitches. I don't push them, advocate for them, nor do I get a commission on selling them. I simply like mine. If you don't like it, don't buy one!

However, for you to call it a "goose-kneck jury-rig" in a passive aggressive manner and then poke fun at someone who defends their choice by claiming they are being "so sensitive" then you're behaving like an internet troll, in my opinion.

If you don't like Andersen's design, don't buy one. If you haven't tried one, perhaps you could simply present why you like what you have, and let others do the same.

Your comments are argument provoking and then you slide back with "why are you being so sensitive" ... not helpful in the least, in my opinion.

Greg
Old 08-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #47
John&Genny

Found a really good comparison video of the Andersen vs. B&W Companion 5th wheel hitches:

https://youtu.be/m7hezEK_i2E

Although the reviewer does mention weight as one of it's main advantages, if you watch the video you will easily see the other advantages of the Andersen hitch. As others have mentioned, each of us has our own desires and wants in a hitch, but it's best to be informed.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #48
Javi

Aluminum is typically not as strong as steel, but it is also almost one third of the weight. This is the main reason why aircraft are made from Aluminum.

Most tempers and alloys of aluminum dent, ding or scratch more easily as compared to steel. Steel is strong and less likely to warp, deform or bend under weight, force or heat.

I make my living designing things using both metals and the primary reason to choose Aluminum over steel is weight... And Like I said if I'm that worried about 50 to 100 pounds of weight differential... I need a bigger truck...

Can an aluminum hitch work... of course it can... Does anyone really need one... That's the question you got to ask...
Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #49
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

What hitch?

The issues I have with the Andersen are:
Aluminum. I think we have covered that topic well.
Stress on the pin. On a 5th wheel hitch, the plate carries the pin weight. The pin mostly only carries forward/rearward/sideways forces. In the Andersen setup, that configuration is trying to bend the pin off. Lots of different forces going on there.
The weight distribution is rearward.
The stress on the TV's gooseneck ball release mechanism. The locking/release mechanism of a gooseneck ball does take some stress and hold the ball in place (when the tongue bounces up), however most of the time it receives downward force not upward... which is carried by the socket not the detent ball. The Andersen setup tries to pull the gooseneck ball out of its socket all of the time. Pulling up on that ball is what provides the downward force on the entire hitch base. I'm not sure the gooseneck ball was designed with that use/purpose in mind. The detent ball is taking a ton of stress where it normally has none.

Call me names all you want, but the whole thing is still a big jury-rig in my eyes. Not trying to upset anyone, just stating my opinion.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #50
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Aluminum is typically not as strong as steel, but it is also almost one third of the weight. This is the main reason why aircraft are made from Aluminum.

Most tempers and alloys of aluminum dent, ding or scratch more easily as compared to steel. Steel is strong and less likely to warp, deform or bend under weight, force or heat.

I make my living designing things using both metals and the primary reason to choose Aluminum over steel is weight... And Like I said if I'm that worried about 50 to 100 pounds of weight differential... I need a bigger truck...

Can an aluminum hitch work... of course it can... Does anyone really need one... That's the question you got to ask...
They do make a steel, railed version...

The best thing is that we all may have different opinions and thankfully can satisfy those opinions with the different options available. Meanwhile, I like the benefits of aluminum wheels, heads, transfer cases, airplanes and hitches, etc.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #51
tunatundra

U know this Andersen thread got to a reading of medium on the "temper temperature". On other forums the thread gets closed as tempers get out of control. I use an Andersen but have no reason to sell it to anyone. Just not worth it. Just for your information as that is why we post, I find it is the easiest hitch to hook and unhook I have seen. I can hook it up with truck at severe angles to the pin. Buy what you want as there are good hitches out there and no skin off my nose. Good luck.
O.P. Kansas
Old 08-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #52
cmlong

Here is the reply I got from Lippert on the Anderson hitch.

Thank you for contacting Lippert Components. We do not endorse the use of this product, if you were to have a failure to the chassis or upper deck and it’s determined to be contributed to the use of the Anderson Hitch, then this would not be an LCI responsibility.

This goes for any aftermarket gooseball adaptor or coupler.

Thomas Laymon
Contact Center Technical Rep, Warranty

2017 Chevy 3500HD 6.6
2016 Alpine 3600
Old 08-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #53
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlong View Post
Here is the reply I got from Lippert on the Anderson hitch.

Thank you for contacting Lippert Components. We do not endorse the use of this product, if you were to have a failure to the chassis or upper deck and it’s determined to be contributed to the use of the Anderson Hitch, then this would not be an LCI responsibility.

This goes for any aftermarket gooseball adaptor or coupler.

Thomas Laymon
Contact Center Technical Rep, Warranty

Considering the added stress on the king pin that doesn't surprise me.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #54
John&Genny

I'm not a structual engineer but perhaps you can explain why the Andersen hitch would put any more stress on the Lippert frame than say the Reese Goosebox, which btw is sold by Lippert?
Old 08-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #55
Desert185

...and if there were to be damage, Andersen Hitches has a $5 million policy to cover anything related to installing the hitch, all to be determined by an independent arbitrator.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:19 AM   #56
Bolo4u

Quote:
I'm not a structual engineer but perhaps you can explain why the Andersen hitch would put any more stress on the Lippert frame than say the Reese Goosebox, which btw is sold by Lippert?
Because it looks like the Goosebox involves replacing the ENTIRE pinbox assembly, thus distributing the forces throughout the entire assembly, vs. the Anderson adaptor being bolted/clamped to the pin.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #57
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
...and if there were to be damage, Andersen Hitches has a $5 million policy to cover anything related to installing the hitch, all to be determined by an independent arbitrator.
And all it takes is the independent arbitrator determining the user failed to properly torque the bolts/setscrews properly, or at the appropriate intervals = declined.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #58
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
Because it looks like the Goosebox involves replacing the ENTIRE pinbox assembly, thus distributing the forces throughout the entire assembly, vs. the Anderson adaptor being bolted/clamped to the pin.
Well, the Goosebox is like the OEM pinbox with the Anderson ball coupler added to it. I don't see any evidence that there are increased stresses on the trailer. No evidence. Just opinion.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #59
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Well, the Goosebox is like the OEM pinbox with the Anderson ball coupler added to it. I don't see any evidence that there are increased stresses on the trailer. No evidence. Just opinion.
Im sorry we disagree, but the Goosebox is WAY more involved than just having the Anderson coupler added to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RP94622-61301_8_1000.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	13531  
Old 08-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #60
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
Call me names all you want, but the whole thing is still a big jury-rig in my eyes. Not trying to upset anyone, just stating my opinion.
If you feel I was calling you names, then please accept my apology. That was not my intent. I was simply trying to describe how the words you chose came off like a personal attack on those who like and use the Andersen hitch.

By the way, referring to aircraft and aluminum in the many posts above, I prefer my aircraft in fabric and dope...
Closed Thread

Tags
hitch