Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
SteveJJ

Hi from Minneapolis

Hi!
I'm just starting my search for a toy hauler. I saw a Cougar with side ramp and garage and really liked the concept, but the particular unit has had a rough life. So I dug a bit further and found that there is a smaller series with side entry garage, the Outback 23KRS, 230RS, and 240URS. I'm searching for one close by.

I'm also looking for a diesel pickup, 3/4 or full ton to haul it with. I'm a widower so the smaller rig fits my needs and I plan on 'boondocking' on BLM lands throughout the Rockies when I retire in a couple summers. The diesel is more than I'll need for the outback but who knows what I'll find I want in a few years? Buying once is enough for the truck I'm thinking.

I came here to learn from others' experiences and of any known issues with Outbacks. So far I'm liking the aluminum frame and floor plan.

See you around!

Steve
SteveJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
busterbrown

Welcome. We're glad to have you. One of the best parts of RVing is searching for "your" best floor plan. Good luck with your quest. Safe travels.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:20 AM   #3
JimQ

Hi Steve: Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your search. I'm sure you'll find a model that's a good fit. Let us know what you get.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:46 AM   #4
notanlines

Steve, welcome to the forum from south Florida (Wintering). We love the twin cities area. Lived there for a period back in the 60's going to the U, 4th and 6th, Dinkytown. I also would include shopping for that elusive late-model one ton farther south. No salt.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:11 AM   #5
Tinner12002

Welcome to the forum from NW IN. What, may I ask, are you loading in the garage on your new hauler?
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:10 AM   #6
5J's

Welcome to the forum from SE Texas. I don't have any experience with any of the models you listed. Good luck with your search!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:48 AM   #7
Hodgy

Welcome from the foothills.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #8
SteveJJ

Thanks all for the welcome.

I just found out the later version of the side ramp is the 230TRS or Terrain. Get to search for another one!

On the garage use: I hope to spend much of my retirement in gold country, boondocking on BLM land and metal detecting for gold. I don't care so much if I find much, as being out in nature is the real reward. It will keep me active and moving, if slowly. At least that's better than internet surfing, no?

The garage area will store the outdoor gear, added storage for more water, freeze dried foods (have my own freeze dryer), and an ATV "mule" to pack gear back into the washes and ravines. I do fancy a dirt bike (Yamaha WR250R), but it's harder to use for hauling bulky stuff so the ATV will make more sense. If I can find a 230xxx with the wider cargo door, I'll have more options of what to get.

I'm hunting for a F-250 diesel with extended cab (while evaluating others). I'm thinking the TT version at first will be the way to go for more rugged terrain. I believe it gives more flexibility between the truck and trailer than 5th wheel, but I'd like the option to go that way should I wish to some day.

On the truck, it's so hard to filter the fan-boy enthusiasm vs objective reality of what to look for. I doubt I'll ever have a rig that would tax a 3/4 ton so brute power isn't a factor. Fuel mileage will ever be a consideration, but any of them will do well at 55-60. I'm retiring and have whatever days I'm allotted so what's my hurry? Comfort? Get out and walk a bit! Reliability is key, and cost of repairs. Cab removal for service sounds horribly expensive. So much to learn about and consider. Might have to join Consumer Reports for factual data not clouded by emotions.

Thanks again, I'm off to gain knowledge and search for my home away from home!
SteveJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
TyeeMan

Welcome Steve! I'm typing to you from Plymouth, Mn. I work here and live 45 miles west in the small town of Winsted, , kinda by Hutchinson.
Say, in regards to your search for a truck, for information purposes find a Ford truck forum, or Chevy/GMC or Dodge. Just like here you'll gain a lot of information albeit you may have to dig for it. And if you're on a brand specific forum (like Ford, etc.) you won't a lot of that "my Ford is bigger, faster, stronger and more manly than your Chevy" kind of stuff. Incidentally I'm a GM guy.

Any idea what year truck you are looking for?

My ex-boss (still work with him, he's just in a different department) just bought a 2014 F-350, CC, Power Stroke from Corner Stone Automotive in Elk River. He said it was a great experience and if they don't have what you are looking for they can usually find it.
Also, keep an eye on Pleasureland Truck Sales in St. Cloud,, same as Pleasureland RV. A lot of times they have a good selection 3/4 ton trucks both gas and diesel.
Between work, home and Brainerd, I get around a lot. If you give me an idea of what you're looking for I can keep an eye out for you. If you want. . .
TyeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote