Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
JonD

2018 Cougar 5th Wheel

Bought a month ago, went on first trip and the remote was talking to all things, lights, slides etc at dealership, now doesn't work on anything? Anyone have an easy fix?
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
5th_Wheelin

Dumb question, but are you sure it's fully charged?
5th_Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
JonD

Yes, first thing I tried.
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Have you re-paired it with the rig? I do know that if you turn the lights on off at the switch, the remote won't work until you undo what you did. Do a search on here for remote control problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:19 AM   #5
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Have you re-paired it with the rig? I do know that if you turn the lights on off at the switch, the remote won't work until you undo what you did. Do a search on here for remote control problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
You would think that there would be a way to change that so the items controlled would work either way without undoing a switch, I guess being its electrical I really don't understand how that happens. I think they need some garage door remote technology! Lol!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #6
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
You would think that there would be a way to change that so the items controlled would work either way without undoing a switch, I guess being its electrical I really don't understand how that happens. I think they need some garage door remote technology! Lol!
Tinner
Like a garage door opener, any of the "momentary" switch functions will work the same from the control panel or the remote. Unlike the garage door, light switches need to be wired as a "three way" and the remote does not (has no way to) support that configuration.

Jon,
There is a panel in the basement that has all the connections for all the items controlled by the remote. Ours is on the street side mounted high and forward.
The panel is fused and that may be the culprit for everything to crap out at once.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5119.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	15021  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
SkiSmuggs

When ready to the a campground one morning, none of the rocker switches would bring in the slides. Called the dealer and they suggest we try the remote. After a trip to Radio Shack for a new battery, the remote brought in the sliders just fine. Dealer quoted $800 to replace the control panel. Found I could get the panel from LCI for $400, but tried the rockers again and they worked and have been fine since then.
Then leaving another campground was told my scare light was on, so pulled over and the switch would not turn it off. Remembering that I had played with the remote, I tried it and it worked. If something is turned on using the remote, it takes the remote to turn it off again. It works like a railroad track switch to prevent someone using the switch while someone else works the remote. There should be a better way.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a very basic explanation of how the remote works. In almost all electronic equipment there are "and" gates and "or" gates. In "and" gates, both inputs must be present for the function to operate. In "or" gates, one or the other input must be present for the function to operate. It WILL NOT operate with both inputs present.

So, if the remote had "and" gates, you'd have to turn on the switch AND press the remote for the function to operate. With the "OR" gate, you press the switch OR you press the remote and the function will operate. Once you start the function with either of the OR components, you must complete that function (remove that input) so the other input can flow through the "or gate".

The reason for using "or" gate technology is to prevent damage to the equipment. Imagine if you were outside pressing the "extend main slide" button on the remote and your DW was inside pressing the "retract main slide" switch on the control panel. You'd run the risk that you'd burn up the motor or blow the fuse on an electric slide and overpressure/damage the hydraulic ram on a hydraulic slide system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
When ready to the a campground one morning, none of the rocker switches would bring in the slides. Called the dealer and they suggest we try the remote. After a trip to Radio Shack for a new battery, the remote brought in the sliders just fine. Dealer quoted $800 to replace the control panel. Found I could get the panel from LCI for $400, but tried the rockers again and they worked and have been fine since then.
Then leaving another campground was told my scare light was on, so pulled over and the switch would not turn it off. Remembering that I had played with the remote, I tried it and it worked. If something is turned on using the remote, it takes the remote to turn it off again. It works like a railroad track switch to prevent someone using the switch while someone else works the remote. There should be a better way.
Yes that's what I was referring to in my post that there should be a better way!
Old 01-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's a very basic explanation of how the remote works. In almost all electronic equipment there are "and" gates and "or" gates. In "and" gates, both inputs must be present for the function to operate. In "or" gates, one or the other input must be present for the function to operate. It WILL NOT operate with both inputs present.

So, if the remote had "and" gates, you'd have to turn on the switch AND press the remote for the function to operate. With the "OR" gate, you press the switch OR you press the remote and the function will operate. Once you start the function with either of the OR components, you must complete that function (remove that input) so the other input can flow through the "or gate".

The reason for using "or" gate technology is to prevent damage to the equipment. Imagine if you were outside pressing the "extend main slide" button on the remote and your DW was inside pressing the "retract main slide" switch on the control panel. You'd run the risk that you'd burn up the motor or blow the fuse on an electric slide and overpressure/damage the hydraulic ram on a hydraulic slide system.
I understand the reasoning but maybe we should have an option without having either or. It is what it is I guess.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #11
Canonman

I have found that on our Cougar, I often open the slides with the remote to make sure I'm not going to have any clearance issues. I then use the rocker (momentary) switches at the control panel when retracting the slides just in case something inside the coach may be in the way. Don't know if this is a setting or programming feature but that's just how ours works. If the lights are turned on with the remote then they have to be turned off with the remote. This is mildly inconvenient but tolerable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4203.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	15028  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cougar