Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
DaleSpring

Slide out awnings?

Hello, I have a 2017 Springdale 286fwbh with 2 slides. We currently don't have any slide awning and with winter camping approaching we are wanting to put some on. Does anyone have recommendations on brands or and diy ideas?
DaleSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I just installed Carefree slide covers on my Cougar. They were easy to install, function as expected and do the job just as I'd anticipated. When I was shopping there are 3 choices, Carefree, Dometic and Solara. Dometic was out if the question with price, Solara's biggest "claimed advantage" was the 49" width (no slides on any Keystone product need that kind of extension so it's not an advantage, probably just extra weight and bulk) and Carefree was the cheapest, has the most experience and the best "reviews" from customers. So, I selected Carefree and I'm satisfied with my choice.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
DaleSpring

JRTJH Thank you for your super speedy response!!! I appreciate the information. We will look into the carefree slide covers ��
Old 08-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
busterbrown

There are 3 prominent manufacturers of slide toppers, Carefree, Lippert (Solera), and Dometic. I had 2 Carefree toppers installed on my Bullet last year from the selling dealer and I paid about $400 each. Haven't had an issue with mine since installation. It's not a difficult DIY project from my understanding, but I've read that you'll need a set of extra hands with longer slide toppers. Personally, for a few dollars more, I'd have a dealer install them as I'm not comfortable mounting directly to the fiberglass slides. Room for error is not something I want to experience.

Good luck.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
micar

We had slide toppers on our 2nd to last fiver and loved them. Didn't have them on the last one and REALLY missed them. Made sure we had them installed on the new rig.
We have to park under pine trees at home, always having to sweep off needles and cones is a real PITA.
Doesn't really answer your question but supporting your decision!!
micar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I just installed Carefree slide covers on my Cougar. They were easy to install, function as expected and do the job just as I'd anticipated. When I was shopping there are 3 choices, Carefree, Dometic and Solara. Dometic was out if the question with price, Solara's biggest "claimed advantage" was the 49" width (no slides on any Keystone product need that kind of extension so it's not an advantage, probably just extra weight and bulk) and Carefree was the cheapest, has the most experience and the best "reviews" from customers. So, I selected Carefree and I'm satisfied with my choice.
Sometime you need to look harder to find good pricing.
We installed the Dometic on our 5er's two slides one was a 13' super slide and the other a 6' bedroom slide. I installed the bedroom by myself very easy, and had DW help with the 13' super slide.

I purchased from Makarios RV, great price, great customer service, fast shipping. They have great instructions on correct measuring for the correct fit. The slide toppers come with free shipping. The cost for the two toppers complete to my door was $641.19.

https://www.makariosrv.com/dometic-slide-toppers/

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Sometime you need to look harder to find good pricing.
We installed the Dometic on our 5er's two slides one was a 13' super slide and the other a 6' bedroom slide. I installed the bedroom by myself very easy, and had DW help with the 13' super slide.

I purchased from Makarios RV, great price, great customer service, fast shipping. They have great instructions on correct measuring for the correct fit. The slide toppers come with free shipping. The cost for the two toppers complete to my door was $641.19.

https://www.makariosrv.com/dometic-slide-toppers/
I just did a price check at the link you provided. Purchasing a Dometic 150" white slide cover and a 66" white slide cover comes to $601.00. I purchased the Carefree awnings (same sizes) at Amazon for $580.04. Delivery was 2 day "prime". I'd say that with the $20 difference, it's pretty much a wash. I will also say that CW was almost $800 and the local RV store was $750, so shopping and comparing is definitely worth the effort.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #8
kenc1325

We just purchased a 2017 Montana High Country and it didn't come with side toppers I have been debating on getting them installed . We had them on the MH and liked them. A little worried about the slides leaking when it rains. We have had it out once and no problem got up on roof and swept them off before closing. Do you think it is necessary to have them on.

Ken
kenc1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:15 AM   #9
DaleSpring

I don't know about necessary but I do have those same concerns about the rain leakage. I have heard from multiple people that they do help with that, as well as help with keeping the rig cooler in summer. so personal choice on added them or not.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #10
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFenton View Post
Hello, I have a 2017 Springdale 286fwbh with 2 slides. We currently don't have any slide awning and with winter camping approaching we are wanting to put some on. Does anyone have recommendations on brands or and diy ideas?
Our Cougar has 4 slides, but the dealer was only able to provide and install toppers for three of them. The 4th slide was too small for any of the toppers available at the time. It's been several years and I really should look at what's currently available, but I digress.

We have the Dometic toppers the other three and we would not be without them. Not only do they keep 99% of water off the roof and seals of the slides, but they keep most of the debris that falls from trees off as well. It's amazing how much stuff falls on them in just two weeks of camping. The head of our bed is in a slide, and the topper stops most of the "rain drops falling on my head" noises.

You didn't say what state you are in for winter camping, but I must respectfully point out that toppers are not intended to bear any snow load. There are some DIY and aftermarket items intended to prevent rain puddling that could help a topper bear snow load, but I would be very hesitant to use them if there's any chance of a moderate to heavy snowfall. The topper on my main slide tends to puddle and sag at one end. I made up some supports out of PVC thin wall pipe to prevent the sag, but I would not consider using them for snow load.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:23 AM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
I don't know about necessary but I do have those same concerns about the rain leakage. I have heard from multiple people that they do help with that, as well as help with keeping the rig cooler in summer. so personal choice on added them or not.
Yes, personal choice, but we noticed that our AC didn't work as hard this year as last, top of super slide now cool to the touch rather than hot.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:15 AM   #12
DaleSpring

Thank you Sevec7010
I was thinking about trying to make some pvc to help puddling... as far as winter camping we are hoping not, but it may come down to staying a few months in Utah snow. We will see but what I'm thinking is if we do pulling the slides in at night.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:36 AM   #13
SteveC7010

Quote:
Thank you Sevec7010
I was thinking about trying to make some pvc to help puddling... as far as winter camping we are hoping not, but it may come down to staying a few months in Utah snow. We will see but what I'm thinking is if we do pulling the slides in at night.
Check how the slide floor lays when fully retracted. In our Cougar, the carpeting from the main slide covers the floor registers when fully retracted. I think that would create as much or more of a problem as retracting the slide might solve.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #14
rhagfo

I just purchased, yet to be installed center roller support for our 12' super slide, it visibly pulls in at the middle this will keep it straight.

Tags
awning, slide, slide out