Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
BeringSky

Broken Cables

one cable missing and one cable that has partially broken on forward bedroom slide. What's up?
BeringSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First of all, welcome to the forum, we're glad you joined.

Now to answer your question: Well, to ask you to give us enough information so we can help. All your profile indicates about your trailer is "Montana Bib"

No idea which model, what year, which cables, what contributed to the problem, when it happened, the condition of the damaged cable, why one is missing (lost, stolen, flew out while towing, thrown away in anger, etc).

I suspect members will be happy to help you resolve your problems, but at this point, if it's in warranty, your next phone call should be to your dealership, if it's an antique that you're rebuilding, you may have problems finding the appropriate parts... I'd suspect you're "somewhere in the middle" so let us know enough information to help you and we'd be more than happy to try.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Glad you're here! Can't wait for the extra info...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
BeringSky

Broken cable

Sorry I blew it tried to fix it and couldn't. So here we go. 2012 Montana Big Sky 3700RL. The front bedroom slide is missing the top cable and the bottom one is unraveling on the forward part of slide. The cables on the other side are there and appear to be in good shape. I don't know how it happened. Just came around after I set up and slides out and there was the frayed cable looked up and other one missing. Thanks for any help.
BeringSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #5
Tbos

Sometimes the cables will fray on the slide opening frame. It sounds like the missing one broke previously (recently). I'm betting part of it is inside the slide mechanism. You can go online and find the BAL Accu-Slide manuals and there are also videos on doing a cable replacement. They use these cable slides because they are lightweight, space saving and reasonably reliable. Hope all goes well with the repair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
geobet

Welcome to the forum from central Florida. So, one's missing and one is broken and the BR slide is open? First of all, you've got a couple of choices. Either haul it to a dealer and be prepared to leave it till they get a chance to look at it, or call a mobile tech and hope they know what the heck they're doing, OR, fix it yourself! I prefer the latter.

Reading posts about the cable slides, it's apparent that a whole lot of folks are needlessly intimidated by them. They really are not that complicated and it ain't exactly rocket science to adjust or replace them. One set of 4 cables controls the slide when its pulled OUT, one set controls the IN function. Each function, in and out, has 4 cables that do the "pulling" nothing is "pushed".

Now is the time to analyze your DIY skills. With some basic tools, and or course your favorite six pack, you can most likely "do it yourself". Like I said before, "it ain't rocket science". I always take the approach that if a human can build it, I can probably fix it. That philosophy is always supported by the fact that I probably can't screw it up a whole lot more than it already is, so why not try it?

I believe Amazon, for example, sells replacement cables. At least that's where I bought two when I replaced them on my previous rig. I would be hesitant about operating the slide with the problem you have currently. With two cables gone, you're putting more strain on the existing mechanism and could potentially shear the flexible drive shaft or strip out the drive gears, or even worse, cock the slide in the opening - not a good outcome there.

With all that said, take a deep breath and find the missing cable. It just didn't go "poof" and disappear. Its probably laying in behind the cable channel. The channel is held to the wall with probably six to eight screws. Once removed, you'll be able to determine. Now comes my favorite time of working on my rig - contemplating and Beer Break! I've found that replacing a cable is at best only a three beer job - unless my DW if supervising.

Once you find the end of the cable(s), it gets even easier. Just use the "Chinese Handcuff" that comes in the kit and pull the new cable through making sure you crimp the ends and route it through the correct pulley(s) - that's where viewing the Bal video might help. Do the same with the other cable. Once you get them where they should be, look up a post by XRATED, I believe, that describes how to take adjust the cables. Excellent post and best read with your next beer break. Another must see is a UTUBE video titled "7 minute cable slide adjustment" at . This is exactly how I adjust mine. And finally, after the final adjustments, grab a lawn chair, sit in the shade and polish off what's left of the beer. You've earned it. Good luck and remember.....you can't screw it up much worse than it already is so give it a try! With some basic tools and mechanical ability - YOU CAN DO IT YOURSEF and save some $$$! It ain't that difficult.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
Welcome to the forum from central Florida. So, one's missing and one is broken and the BR slide is open? First of all, you've got a couple of choices. Either haul it to a dealer and be prepared to leave it till they get a chance to look at it, or call a mobile tech and hope they know what the heck they're doing, OR, fix it yourself! I prefer the latter.

Reading posts about the cable slides, it's apparent that a whole lot of folks are needlessly intimidated by them. They really are not that complicated and it ain't exactly rocket science to adjust or replace them. One set of 4 cables controls the slide when its pulled OUT, one set controls the IN function. Each function, in and out, has 4 cables that do the "pulling" nothing is "pushed".

Now is the time to analyze your DIY skills. With some basic tools, and or course your favorite six pack, you can most likely "do it yourself". Like I said before, "it ain't rocket science". I always take the approach that if a human can build it, I can probably fix it. That philosophy is always supported by the fact that I probably can't screw it up a whole lot more than it already is, so why not try it?

I believe Amazon, for example, sells replacement cables. At least that's where I bought two when I replaced them on my previous rig. I would be hesitant about operating the slide with the problem you have currently. With two cables gone, you're putting more strain on the existing mechanism and could potentially shear the flexible drive shaft or strip out the drive gears, or even worse, cock the slide in the opening - not a good outcome there.

With all that said, take a deep breath and find the missing cable. It just didn't go "poof" and disappear. Its probably laying in behind the cable channel. The channel is held to the wall with probably six to eight screws. Once removed, you'll be able to determine. Now comes my favorite time of working on my rig - contemplating and Beer Break! I've found that replacing a cable is at best only a three beer job - unless my DW if supervising.

Once you find the end of the cable(s), it gets even easier. Just use the "Chinese Handcuff" that comes in the kit and pull the new cable through making sure you crimp the ends and route it through the correct pulley(s) - that's where viewing the Bal video might help. Do the same with the other cable. Once you get them where they should be, look up a post by XRATED, I believe, that describes how to take adjust the cables. Excellent post and best read with your next beer break. Another must see is a UTUBE video titled "7 minute cable slide adjustment" at . This is exactly how I adjust mine. And finally, after the final adjustments, grab a lawn chair, sit in the shade and polish off what's left of the beer. You've earned it. Good luck and remember.....you can't screw it up much worse than it already is so give it a try! With some basic tools and mechanical ability - YOU CAN DO IT YOURSEF and save some $$$! It ain't that difficult.

It seems a little intimidating at first, however it is very simple:
4 cables pull the slide OUT (one cable at each inside corner pulling outward)
4 cables pull the slide IN (one cable at each outside corner pulling inward)

The cables you see on the outside of the camper are the ones that pull in (close the slide).
The cables that pull the slide out (open the slide) are normally hidden out of sight, but are inside the camper behind the trim.

My main slide is not level and I plan on starting from scratch to adjust it. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. (I have replaced cables before on other campers.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable