Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
hidefman

2010 303tg Laredo size generator to use???

Looking at getting a generator to run the ac and a couple odds and ends like a couple crock pots and some outdoor lighting .. fridge, stove, water heater be running off LP.. what would be the recommend size that I’d need... I found a couple Honda EU3000IS inverter generators reasonably priced ... would one of those be big enough or do I need something bigger... ??? I’d like to get something that’s quiet but has the power lol
hidefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

This thread should help.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:26 AM   #3
hidefman

I forgot to mention that I have a 30 amp plug not a 50... would that make a difference?
Old 02-01-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefman View Post
I forgot to mention that I have a 30 amp plug not a 50... would that make a difference?
Nope. The air conditioner draws the same amount of power whether it's installed in a 30 amp or a 50 amp trailer. What does matter is what else you might turn on or use (or forget is turned on) while running on the generator.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
Milocka

Hi - I have a 2010 Laredo 305TG and use a Champion 3500/4500 watt generator with the built in 30Amp plug. I can run the AC and Microwave at the same time although the Champion does get a work out. I also made the mistake once to switch the the water heater to electric mode and it killed the generator when it kicked on. I also have solar and an inverter so I really only use the genny for AC when boondocking or camping in a non electric site. The Champion is LOUD but not really an issue if you are the only people around for 10 miles [emoji16]
Milocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
hidefman

So would the Honda eu3000is be suitable to use ?? I’m not looking to power a lot off that.. if the ac is on then might have a crock pot going but that’s just during the day occasionally.. not constant I’d be running the ac...

Going to a rockfestival and if it gets super hot out then we’ll use the ac for a "quick cool down " but that’s it... ohh and help maintain the battery that’s on it...
Old 02-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The Honda 3000 should be able to power the converter/charger (always on) and the air conditioner without a problem. Remember, there will be "hidden watt consumers" that you don't see. Lights, water pump, refrigerator control board, converter/charger to name a few. They will draw anywhere for 300 watts to 1200 watts if the battery in the trailer is near discharge state. Once the battery is charged, then you'll only be operating the air conditioner and "a few watts for the rest"... You should be OK, but if you run into a problem, just turn the "REC/CON" circuit breaker off to get the trailer cool. You won't be charging your battery with that breaker off, but you will be getting cool.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:03 PM   #8
busterbrown

I purchased a Champion 3100/2800 generator 2 years ago. It runs the 15K AC unit and the converter fine. But an overload condition is easy to create when other appliances and AC electronics are turned on (fridge, tv's, fans, portable electronics). It doesn't take much. My biggest concern with the Champion is its very small internal fuel tank at only 1.6 US gallons. That amounts to about 5 hours of run time at 1/2 load. To me, that's not great when attempting to get a good amount of sleep at night.

So, I went online and begged for a solution. Last week, I found a phenomenal deal on Amazon for a Westinghouse 4500/3700 watt Inverter generator. It includes a 3.4 gallon internal fuel tank (more than double the Champions) and includes the remote start/stop option. I received it today and will unbox it tomorrow. I was going to add a gravity fill fuel cap with external tank to the Champion. Glad I found this deal at $670. It saves me the hassle of an external tank plus it gives me the extra capacity to run quite a few things concurrently. Just some things to think about
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
303tg, generator, laredo