Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
Cabindweller

Need some AC help

2016 Cougar...

When I set my thermostat to cool and a temp (fan is set to auto), the AC fan kicks on and runs for several seconds before the condenser kicks on. This is normal. After both run for several minutes (sometimes 5, sometimes 30), the fan and condenser shut down simultaneously and the unit never comes back on regardless of how hot it gets inside the camper.

If I set the thermostat to off and wait a few seconds for the light to shut off, I can then turn it back to cool and the process outlined above occurs again.

Any ideas why this is occurring? Is it the thermostat or AC unit itself?

Thanks in advance!
Cabindweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:18 AM   #2
bsmith0404

I'm assuming it's a dometic. I would contact their tech support line and see what they say if you're out of warranty. If you still have warranty on your unit, get it into your dealer

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:41 AM   #3
Cabindweller

I am still under warranty but would like to avoid taking it in to the dealership if possible. Also, we're on vacation right now (1500 miles from home). I was hoping I could do something to fix it while on the road. We won't be returning home until 7/5.

It is a dometic.

2017 F350 SuperDuty - Lariat, Crew Cab, PowerStroke, SRW, 4x4
Cabindweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:56 AM   #4
gearhead

Any RV repair shop that is an authorized Dometic warranty center can repair it. I had an A/C issue while on the road and found the nearest Dometic shop. They were not a Keystone dealer. They looked at the A/C and found the famous orange wire loose from the thermostat to the unit. Keystone assembly issue, not Dometic, but the RV shop in Lexington NC fixed it free.
Dometic also offers extended warranties on their products including refrigerators. If you registered with Dometic they should send you extended warranty info just before their initial 2 year warranty expires.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote