Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
ChuckS

Trailer King Junk

Saw this on another group. Date stamp on these is Apr 2016 as reported by original author. There are great Chinese tires out there for RV use but these ain’t it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7AEC5A51-A4D7-4706-84B6-DD1F1F738E05.jpeg
Views:	427
Size:	500.5 KB
ID:	17007  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #2
ken56

Yep, that's what they do. I managed to put 3k miles on my set that came on our new rig. On a gas stop I noticed one with bulges in the sidewall. I got home without losing it and then replaced them with the Goodyear Endurance. Good riddance.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
xrated

I had already read about the "China Syndrome" , and when we bought the Toy Hauler in October 2016 it was getting too late in the year to use, so we brought it home and parked it. I knew that once we got to springtime, I would hook the trailer up and take it to get new tires put on it. So....375 miles home from the dealership and about 20 miles to the tire dealer in the spring....for a grand total of approx. 400 miles. I replaced them with a set of four Maxxis M8008 tires and couldn't be happier.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I had already read about the "China Syndrome" , and when we bought the Toy Hauler in October 2016 it was getting too late in the year to use, so we brought it home and parked it. I knew that once we got to springtime, I would hook the trailer up and take it to get new tires put on it. So....375 miles home from the dealership and about 20 miles to the tire dealer in the spring....for a grand total of approx. 400 miles. I replaced them with a set of four Maxxis M8008 tires and couldn't be happier.
IMO, going from a tire that provides 3520# to one that provides 3420# with a 65 MPH speed limit is not a very good trade-off.

Speed is a durability factor. The closer you travel to the tire's speed rating the more stress you put on its ability to carry its load.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
Canonman

I felt good to get by for our first season with the TK's. Replaced for the second season with Carlisle HD's and upgraded the load range to E. HD's have proven to be a good tire over the past two seasons with no signs of degradation.
To those who have not, I would highly recommend adding a TPMS as soon as the checkbook allows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0363.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	17015  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
ChuckS

I’d have to say that currently for those towing large fifth wheels or toy haulers.... 11 to 12K and up the Sailun S637 235/85x16 14 ply G rated tire is the best value and best durability on the market.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
Old 06-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
IMO, going from a tire that provides 3520# to one that provides 3420# with a 65 MPH speed limit is not a very good trade-off.

Speed is a durability factor. The closer you travel to the tire's speed rating the more stress you put on its ability to carry its load.
You've told me that like three times already over the last 14-15 months since I've bought the Maxxis tires. And I'll tell you again.....this is my third set of Maxxis tires on my third different trailer and I've had ZERO issues on any of them. The other two trailers were smaller, but of course so were the tires. And with the others, I routinely ran 70 mph, whereas with this trailer, because of it's size, I normally run 65-67 mph. Thank you though!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I’d have to say that currently for those towing large fifth wheels or toy haulers.... 11 to 12K and up the Sailun S637 235/85x16 14 ply G rated tire is the best value and best durability on the market.
totally agree! our trailer came with 235/80x16 TK's so I was happy to learn that the S637's also come in that size. GVWR for our Carbon is 16755, CAT scales show right around 14k fully loaded. I run the Sailuns at 90 psi and absolutely love 'em!

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
buzzcop63

Started reading this Forum in 2012 and the China tires were and still are a hot topic. I posted on 5/27/2017 on replacing my 6 year old Power Kings with Goodyear Endurance and upped the rating from D to E. Was always uptight with fear one of my tires would blow. Why my Power Kings gave no trouble is because they had a good safety margin compared to the tow weight of our trailer,

Speed was kept to 55 more or less and the PSI and heat I monitored with Tire Minder set up. When you look at new trailer models the tires used on them will be the same rating on several models as the weight goes up and the safety margin goes down. Tire dealers have told me the sell used China tires from trailers for use on light utility duty trailers and they have no problem. If the trailer you buy has a maximum weight that is anywhere close to the max weight listed on the tire, follow what others are saying on this sight and replace them. Quality tires will work at their max weight, cheap tires will blow!
Old 06-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #10
CWtheMan

The sailun tires seem to be a "hot" item for heavier trailers. Those steel cased tires have bead to rim requirements a little different, sometimes, from like sized polyester tires. Therefore most manufacturers post this note on their web pages; * All steel construction specifically designed for Trailer application only. Requires special high load capacity wheel. Consult wheel manufacturer for proper application.

That warning is in regular & smallish letters in this reference; http://www.sailuntires.ca/PLT/S637st.html
Old 06-15-2018, 11:47 PM   #11
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
You've told me that like three times already over the last 14-15 months since I've bought the Maxxis tires. And I'll tell you again.....this is my third set of Maxxis tires on my third different trailer and I've had ZERO issues on any of them. The other two trailers were smaller, but of course so were the tires. And with the others, I routinely ran 70 mph, whereas with this trailer, because of it's size, I normally run 65-67 mph. Thank you though!
Sorry xrated, I write all my posts from scratch and respond to situations most people overlook, like the ST235/80R16E being manufactured in three different load capacities, 3420#, 3500# & 3520#. All defalt to the lowest value when not specifically identified by the original factory installer. In the past, Keystone has had a problem identify and notifying DOT about that tire's fitments. Its caused them,on many occasions to recall tire placards for inaccurate tire load capacities. You can find some of those placard recalls in NHTSAs data base.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:22 AM   #12
ChuckS

Trailer King Junk

Response from Sailun Tires regarding mounting their S637 tire on standard 16x6 110 psi Sendel TS09 aluminum RV wheel.

Note that Sendel rates this particular wheel at 3750 load capacity while the Sailun S637 tide is rated at a higher load capacity.

I’d not have any issues mounting this tire on my Sendel wheels. I am also currently running Chinese made Geo Star 235/85x16 tire 14 ply tire but when time comes would really consider the Sailun...

Yes the tire is rated at more capacity then the wheel but so what. Stay within the load capacity of the wheel and you’ve got some headway factor with the tires. I can’t see how this could be anything but good considering heat build up, sidewalk flex, etc...

Directly from Sailun......

Chuck, thank you for your inquiry to Sailun tires. In regard to your question about the wheel width. The recommended wheel width is 6.5", however; both 6" and 7" are allowed.

The other point to note is that this tire will carry 4400 lbs. at 110 psi. This will exceed the maximum load of your wheel. The maximum air pressure you will be able to use is 110 psi to carry 3750 lbs. If this is an OE wheel, there should be no issue since it would be spec'd for your trailer and the maximum load for tires, wheels and axles. I have attached the load and inflation chart for your reference.

Safe travels,

Al Eagleson ‘ACE’
Segment Manager, Commercial Tires
Off. (289) 499-3240 x202
Cel. (416) 315-9391

300-1 Kenview Blvd.,
Brampton, ON, L6T 5E6

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
Old 06-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #13
curly2001

What kind of TPMS is the most easy to use and trouble free in your opinion?
curly2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Response from Sailun Tires regarding mounting their S637 tire on standard 16x6 110 psi Sendel TS09 aluminum RV wheel.

Note that Sendel rates this particular wheel at 3750 load capacity while the Sailun S637 tide is rated at a higher load capacity.

I’d not have any issues mounting this tire on my Sendel wheels. I am also currently running Chinese made Geo Star 235/85x16 tire 14 ply tire but when time comes would really consider the Sailun...

Yes the tire is rated at more capacity then the wheel but so what. Stay within the load capacity of the wheel and you’ve got some headway factor with the tires. I can’t see how this could be anything but good considering heat build up, sidewalk flex, etc...

Directly from Sailun......

Chuck, thank you for your inquiry to Sailun tires. In regard to your question about the wheel width. The recommended wheel width is 6.5", however; both 6" and 7" are allowed.

The other point to note is that this tire will carry 4400 lbs. at 110 psi. This will exceed the maximum load of your wheel. The maximum air pressure you will be able to use is 110 psi to carry 3750 lbs. If this is an OE wheel, there should be no issue since it would be spec'd for your trailer and the maximum load for tires, wheels and axles. I have attached the load and inflation chart for your reference.

Safe travels,

Al Eagleson ‘ACE’
Segment Manager, Commercial Tires
Off. (289) 499-3240 x202
Cel. (416) 315-9391

300-1 Kenview Blvd.,
Brampton, ON, L6T 5E6
All good info. Below is a link to the tire's specs just in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.sailuntires.ca/PLT/S637st.html
Old 06-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #15
durhamcutter

Tires

The first thing I did was to go to the tire place and have my Trailer Kings replaced , I put LTs on mine and am real happy. We have been pulling for about 45 years and have always put LTs on our trailers and have not had any trouble with them , we do replace them every 5 years though regardless of what shape we think they might be in. I use Cooper Tires.
durhamcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly2001 View Post
What kind of TPMS is the most easy to use and trouble free in your opinion?
TST 507, had it on all 10 wheels for over 5 years trouble free. They have user replaceable batteries found at Batteries Plus. Highly recommend.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #17
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by durhamcutter View Post
The first thing I did was to go to the tire place and have my Trailer Kings replaced , I put LTs on mine and am real happy. We have been pulling for about 45 years and have always put LTs on our trailers and have not had any trouble with them , we do replace them every 5 years though regardless of what shape we think they might be in. I use Cooper Tires.
In RV forum threads such as this one, we get mostly unhappy reviews. The industry, as a whole, compiles all reviews and then remarks. Here is a surprising - for you - list of some of their findings.

https://www.usautoauthority.com/best-rv-tires/
Old 06-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #18
SummitPond

Quote:
...Here is a surprising - for you - list of some of their findings.

CW

Regarding the review on the Trailer Kings - yes - very surprising.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #19
bobbecky

Quote:
In RV forum threads such as this one, we get mostly unhappy reviews. The industry, as a whole, compiles all reviews and then remarks. Here is a surprising - for you - list of some of their findings.

Right off in reading about the Goodyear G614, I noted that this article and it's writers don't have a clue what they are talking about. This is copied from that evaluation: Also, you can access its different sizes when you are planning to purchase it, making it possible to find the perfect fit for your rig.

The Goodyear G614 only comes in one size, LT235/85R16.

Also, this site is suspect, as they have this disclaimer at the bottom of their home page:

Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer

USAutoAuthority.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:37 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Right off in reading about the Goodyear G614, I noted that this article and it's writers don't have a clue what they are talking about. This is copied from that evaluation: Also, you can access its different sizes when you are planning to purchase it, making it possible to find the perfect fit for your rig.

The Goodyear G614 only comes in one size, LT235/85R16.

Also, this site is suspect, as they have this disclaimer at the bottom of their home page:

Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer

USAutoAuthority.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
Spot on. Notice that it's THEIR recommendations, based on what? No info on a survey, statistics or facts. Any .com (stands for commercial) opinion has to be reviewed and evaluated with who their sponsors are or who paid for the article. I may have been born at night but it wasn't last night. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote