Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
elbyjo

No Power to Refrigerator

We have 2012 19' Passport. On our recent trip we had shore power at the house for two days to get the refrig ready and then the unit switched to gas, like always, when we unhooked from the shore power at home. Several times during the trip, I always check to make sure the refrig is running to avoid spoilages. However, when we got to our RV site (after a 6 hour drive) the wife told me that the refrig was off. I went inside to find all lights off. Even without shore power, the unit never switched back to gas. Had no lights on top panel of the refrig. Checked the fuse panel and everything was good. We left it alone and purchased several coolers and ice for the refrig items. Took the RV into our service department and explained the situation to them. They are looking into it. On the first day out at the RV site I did call our maintenance department and they wanted to walk me through a troubleshooting procedure, but I didn't have a power check device. It still bothers me not knowing why the gas didn't come on when the shore power went off. Or did we have some dirty power that might have damaged something inside the refrig. We will soon find out!
elbyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

There is a control panel mounted on the lower left side of the refer. If you take the cover off there are two glass fuses. I bet they are blown.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
elbyjo

Immediately under the refrigerator in this RV is a wooden louvered panel that has the heater vent in it. I thought about looking in this area, but couldn't figure out how to pop it! On the outside wall of the RV (backside of the refrigerator) there is the removable panel and a fuse box is located inside it. However, I tried to get that one open without any luck. Like you say, I hope it is just a blown fuse.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbyjo View Post
Immediately under the refrigerator in this RV is a wooden louvered panel that has the heater vent in it. I thought about looking in this area, but couldn't figure out how to pop it! On the outside wall of the RV (backside of the refrigerator) there is the removable panel and a fuse box is located inside it. However, I tried to get that one open without any luck. Like you say, I hope it is just a blown fuse.
In this pic, there is a little black box in the lower left hand corner of the back of the fridge. On mine, the instructions for removing the cover are molded right into the plastic. You have get down eye-level to really see it well, but it's sure there. Just a couple of tabs to gently press with a screwdriver.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
elbyjo

Yep! That is exactly what I saw last Monday when the maintenance guy was on the phone with me. However, he wasn't referring me to the fuse box, but the square (orange or yellow) box that sits on the gas line behind the metal cage. He was trying to get me to push the button on the square, which wasn't raised up! That is the point where he asked me if I had an electrical tester, which I didn't. Then I told him the refrig wasn't critical at this point of the trip and fixing it would wait until we got back.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
Logan X

I know this is an old thread, but this situation just happened to me and I thought I would share the solution I discovered.

The power to the fridge stopped. There were no lights on the control panel or inside the fridge. I checked all of the fuses including on the control module, they were all good. There was both 110v and 12v power at the base of the fridge on the outside panel.

I figured it was a bad control module, so I replaced it. Nothing changed.

I figured it had to be a 12v power problem so I started tracing the 12v power from where it fed the fridge. I traced the hot wire to what I discovered was a high limit thermostat reset button. The reset button is on the flu above the gas burner. I pressed the button, 12v power was restored, and the fridge is operating normally.

Now I guess I have a spare control module, haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3F38C35-EF43-4221-8292-D44B0EAB87E3.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	19653   Click image for larger version

Name:	86003756-D7D1-4251-8941-21C8EE76F2E2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	19654   Click image for larger version

Name:	5DC79693-506D-4889-8318-5DD8F4110274.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	19655  
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:35 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Good News, (I think) that you found the problem, not so good news that you now have a spare control board. I have no idea why Dometic did it the way they did, about 25% of the cooling units have a resettable thermofuse and the rest don't. My guess is that when they started installing them (about the same time that Norcold did their recall for refrigerator fires) they used what the industry had available (resettable) and when Dometic designed their own component, they went "cheap" and chose to build/install one without the reset feature, then realized their error and changed again. Now, it seems to be hit or miss as to whether you'll have to replace or reset....

Anyway, thanks for the information and great job "fixing" your refrigerator. There's always something unexpected on most RV repairs....

Thank you for sharing your fix.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for that information. I was not aware of it. You can't have too much information when dealing with an RV....you never know when something is going to quit on you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
FlyingAroundRV

Thanks for posting that. I had assumed that these thermal cutouts self-reset like the ones on the little electric fan heaters do. I've never seen a manual reset thermal cutout, so I'll have a look at mine next trip.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote