Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
twvette

Anyone coated their patio yet for water protection?

Anyone done this yet? I think it has been mentioned a few times but have not seen anyone do it yet that I know of. Would be nice if could do something fairly thick to get above the lip of the aluminum trim and to maybe level the couple low stops that have already developed. I am thinking a few coats of roll on bed liner. Am worried if don't do this soon patio wont last long even with very limit exposure to rain showers when at the rig.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
spicercars

Keep in mind that these doors are not designed to be open and rained on. I have heard horror stories about them getting wet and developing major soft spots. Also keep in mind that anything you put on there will increase the weight of the door and might make closing a little tougher.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
Tinner12002

Its also not so much the floor leaking around the edge of the frame but also any attachments that have been screwed or bolted to the frame for your cables and railing and the corners of the frame all unsealed.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
twvette

Its really lame these doors were not designed to be weather proof. Not practical to expect the patio to be put back up for a rain shower.

Am ok with adding a little weight as already heavy and not a zero gravity door or similar.

I have some liner on order so gonna be the guinea pig it seems. Will seal the bolts etc. one way or another too. I think the only risk could still have is under the door seals as water flows off the edge of the top surface if there is a joint in the aluminum there too (which I suspect there is) so might look into pulling the seal and caulking the joint or similar.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
twvette

Was a bit of a project but got it done (not sure pic does it justice).
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9325.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	17711

Removed latches for the railings which was not much work as only 10 bolts. Be careful on these as they are cheap bolts and break easy so would not use power tools. Bought stainless bolts to reinstall them. They are 1/4 x 1in bolts on mine. I did not remove the bracket that the cables attach to as was unsure if I would need to climb on the patio for anything but I did not in the end so if did again I probably would remove them. This would only be an option for those who patio came with/added a leg to hold it up. I just made sure to get plenty of bed liner around the edges of the bracket to seal them.

Prepped by cleaning the patio as best as could but not very easy as really tough to get stuff down in the almost sand paper like material out. A wet towel worked best for me after destroying a mop LOL. Removed stickers, cleaned, and scuffed the aluminum edges and then wiped down with Xylene solvent as is recommended. I used a 36 grit sanding block sponge which worked fairly well but would use a flap disk on an angle grinder if I had to do it again to clean it up a bit better/easier.

Tightened all accessories bolted to the patio. Most these use a bolt that goes into a threaded washer like backing plate with a coupe different large star bit heads to hod the washer. Some of them were very loose so good thing in general. Scuffed these as good as I could as the bed liner went over them too. There was no sealant in the holes from the factory so suspect this is where a good amount of water likely gets into the patio assembly.

The silicone used in an attempt to seal the aluminum edges just did not work well from the factory. The aluminum seems to settle a bit so it breaks the seal. No real easy way to clean this up so I left it and just pulled up the loose silicone I could.

Name:	IMG_9316.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	17712

I choose Herculiner bed liner after a lot of thought and research. The primary reason is it seems to be thicker than others and this is what I wanted in hopes of filling the main patio area as much as possible that sits below the edges. It is also reasonably priced and and comes in kit with accessories that most reviews showed worked well.

Further research into doing bed liners in general found really want to do a lot of covering surrounding areas as this stuff gets really messy and can easily fling it long distances if you start to rush. I used some 3M pre-taped covering film that unfolds to be 36in wide and 65ft long and it was just enough and worked great. Put it around the patio, against the patio sliding door, and then around the ground below the patio. Added Frog tape to tape the edges for clean edges when done and also used it to further hold down the 3M tape around the edges and on the ground. It took a good amount of time but was well worth it as I can confirm it gets messy. This stuff does not come off anything easily.

Name:	IMG_9322.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	17713

You will want a box of gloves and also highly recommend a good paint stir attachment for a drill. The liner needs to be stirred a lot as need to get the rubber particles suspended in all of it and they sink quickly. Note the fumes are really strong from this stuff and even in open air it will stink of a large area around you unless there is a breeze (which you don't really want as then hard to keep plastic film in place).

The roller handle that came in the kit was cheap so luckily I had a good one brought from home. The other feature it has is can screw in a handle from most brooms/mops, etc. to extend reach greatly which was an absolute necessity to reach the center of the patio and makes it easier in general. The actual rollers were good but only for a couple coats then change to a new one or it can start to fall apart.

Name:	IMG_9323.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	17714

Started applying the bedliner using the medium sized paint brush included to fill up the holes in the metal washers, get a good amount along the edges of the aluminum frame/over the factory silicone, and seal the seams in aluminum frame. You want to dab it rather than brush to get similar texture as roller.

Applied the first coat and it will take about 3/4 the gallon as a lot is consumed filling the sand paper like material. It is a bit of a struggle to get complete coverage over the aluminum so will need multiple coats.

I ended up needing a second gallon and did 3 coats total but would have been best to spread it a little thinner in 4 coats I think. Continued to use the brush to fill areas that the roller could not get and focused on sealing up the edges and any other areas with seams and over the bolts/washers.

Figured out the best technique was to just pour a good amount out directly out of the can in many spots that can reach across the patio and use the roller to spread it evenly rather. Using 1/2 gallon for each coat works out perfectly but I got a little impatient.

The biggest factor that slowed me down is this liner takes a long time to dry. They say 1 to 4 hours between coats to but mine was still tacky after 12 hours. It seems about 6 hours between coats would have worked best. I was at high elevation and about 70F with a little humidity for reference, but not much quicker in direct sunlight about 85 degrees either on my last coat. So, this can take a couple days realistically.

Added silicone around all the bolts to help ensure sealed. Will also likely add a bead of silicone on top of the door seal so that water that runs off patio edge will likely not have any other seams to go into.

I am happy with how it turned out and glad did this. I was hoping it would fill in the patio so that not as far below the aluminum frame but this really did not work out. Also did not seem to have much luck filling low spots. Not that I really expected this, but if it were a little thicker even might have had better luck with this. The edges, seams, and bolts are sealed up well now so should be much better and standing water should not be able to get through. Will still limit its exposure to rain as best as possible. If nothing else the patio will have another layer for strength and if its like other bed liners will be much easier to keep clean, slide chairs etc. around, and yet still get good grip.

Tags
water