Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm all over the internet, usually on a daily basis, and I've NEVER seen any statistical data from the government, from independent research agencies or from tire companies that detail the "5W's" on ST tire failure (who, what, when, where, why). That data, if it is available, is not to be found by the consumer. So, what's a trailer owner to do?

My take on it is listen to the owners of trailers who have had failures. When the overwhelming majority of them list one or two brands, to me, that's a "hint" that I don't want to invest in those brands.... When owners give their experiences that are positive about specific brands, I typically "catalog that away in the gray matter" and use it when I'm next making choices about that product. So, when 20 or 30 people in the past year say they had blowouts with ST tires from XXX manufacturer, I'm not going to buy that guy's tires.... Same with almost anything else.

If you can find any "reliable statistical data" on ST tire failures, please share the location of that information. Until then, at least for me, I'll avoid the tire brands that have a "bad reputation" on this forum as confirmed on other RV related forums. YMMV

I don't think there is any statistical data. I've replaced a lot of tires and I've never, not once, had any tire store ask me what happened, how it happened or log the type and manufacturer of a tire. No one. I suppose an individual could report it to the NHTSA, and it's obvious some do, but by and large those stats just don't exist. The only "statistical" info that we as trailer owners have are the reports John mentions. When you have an entire category for tires, and nearly every tire failure mentioned falls on one or two brand names that you can then drive back to a specific factory in China coupled with those same brands being reported on other forums.....well, that's about as convincing as it gets; at least for me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #22
Number 4

I checked the Towmax tires on our TT (purchased used last Fall) and gulped when I realized they were originals with mfg dates in 2013. Our first outing to the coast is next week and thankfully four fresh (0218 date stamped) Carlisle D-rated tires arrived yesterday. They'll be installed Saturday... whew!

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #23
Number 4

And yes, I goofed by not ordering a fifth Carlisle as the spare. Will do so this weekend.

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #24
Ken / Claudia

CW posted a site several years ago that went to the tire failures by brand. I cannot recall what that was. I spend a long time looking up data. They had listed complaints and most had no known reason due to tire was not inspected. When they did get a tire, they inspected and said what the failure was caused from.
What I remember is that there where not many china bombs listed, why? My guess is rarely has anyone made that complaint. GY trailer tires had lots listed going back years. What none of the data said was how many of xx brand have been made to give a percent number of problems.
I will repeat myself about tire failures, nearly everyone posts they had a blown up tire but, almost never asks or looks into WHY.
As a traffic cop I understand all types of tires and vehicles have blow outs and flats. Until there is a death involved the tire is not inspected by the police. They is not a month goes by that I do not stop a vehicle that the driver is happily traveling on a near or flat tire and has NO clue. What happens when that tire is on a trailer, it continues being pulled along until it blows up because the driver cannot feel or tell the low tire, wheel bearings problems, delamination of those tires.
By posting my tire blew up and nothing else is like saying I crashed my car and the fender got bent, the car is no good. If you post the tire date, mileage, maybe wt. what pressure was in the tire and when last checked and ask the tire guys what happened to the tire it would help.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #25
mfifield01

I tend to relate tire issues to age. I have had a Carlisle tire blow on me and it was at the correct pressure and load. It was my fault, because it was over 7 years old.

I replaced my original TT tires after 2 years of usage (about 10,000 miles), but the build date was almost 3 years on the tire. I went with Carlisle HD.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #26
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
CW

So, should the standard be modified? If so, what can we, as end-users, do to convince RVIA this should be done?

Ken
RVIA has already done it. What needs to be done next is lobby NHTSA for a rule change to the FMVSS that supports RVIA's recommendations.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #27
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylemcmahon1 View Post
I agree with what you are saying about going to a g rated tire. I have a tt with a gvwr of 11000. It come with 15 inch wheels. My tire guy and I tried to fit 16 inch wheels with a proper size tire that is g rated. They would not fit. So please tell me where to find a g rated tire in size 225/75 r15. You will not find anything rated higher than a e rated in or around that size. There is not always an option to get a higher rated tire due to design of RV.
Look at this reference.

http://www.greenball.com/catalog/All...nstruction.pdf
Old 04-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #28
Kylemcmahon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post

Thank you but I long ago changed to good year endurance as soon as I bought the tt. Working good so far.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #29
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
CW I agree with most of what you say... Here are my "but's).
OEM tires failures are not brand specific?..but.. where's the data to support that? I confess that you are vastly more informed on this subject so I'd love to read the study on this as I haven't seen anyone posting issues with some of the other OEM brands. That's because there probably is none. Tire building materials are listed on each tire's sidewall. Compounds and adhesives are confidential for each tire and brand name. Without having access to those materials a valid study cannot be conducted.
Trained ...can tell what caused failure..but how many people just replace the tires?
Material Failure always spurn recall? ...but..I would hazard to guess the vast majority of these failed tires end up in a landfill. The manufacturer and NTSB don't see them. Material failure...but..what about manufacturing errors? I agree that the failures should brought to the governments attention, I question why insurance companies don't do this..but.. I suppose it's because most damages caused by tire failures end up with the tire being disposed. The person responsible for removing the failed tire probably has a pretty good feel for the cause of the failure. The boss wants to sell tires. The installer will probably tell the owner to watch their inflation pressures and don't overload the tires. All the safety documents tell us that. Tire failures on trailers rarely end up in fatalities unlike failures on motor vehicles (remember the early steel belt radials?)
Lackadasical maintenance...but.. Do these people change their ways when they replace tires? The durability of the tires on our motorized vehicles spoil us. They all have sufficient load capacity reserves and oodles of speed reserves. And, now days, the tire warning system will go off before the tire is overloaded. Not so with trailer tires, their right on the edge all the time. Even though they are installed in accordance with the same FMVSS standard the need for load capacity reserves is not a requirement for trailer tires. A 1 PSI loss of inflation pressure equals a 1.6% loss of load load capacity. Do they weigh individual wheels to ensure equal loading?Some may, but, there's no way to quantify that with data. Troubleshooting
Finger pointing without troubleshooting... But.. When this happens with such high frequency I think most posters are just relaying their experiences. The tire issues have been discussed ad nauseum here and it seems to me replying without diagnosis equates to folks raising their hands saying yup, it happened to me to.
I completely agree that most of these tires are on the edge of capacity and when replaced are upgraded ..but.. my gut feeling is many who add that capacity will also add more weight because now they can..but.. again no imperial evidence just, observing human nature.
I apologize for taking up yet more storage space on the forums server on the tire subject but I'm seeking more hard evidence on this subject as it is a constantly discussed topic.
See the blue.

It's a coin toss. One side says they always had proper inflation and never exceed the tire's speed rating. What about weight and balance?

The Goodyear Marathon trailer tires have been built here in the USA and in China. No matter where manufactured they have always had a dismal reputation. Yet, they have never had a recall against them.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #30
B&T_NF-NY

Thanks everyone. After checking on my tires (Sterling Sport ST's load range C) I found that the load capacity printed on the tire is 1810 lbs single. With my TT weighing in at approx. 5750 lbs. and only loading the RV with 250 to 350 lbs - evenly distbdt as possible, that leaves me with over 1000 lbs margin. I don't carry water, and the rest of our things / stuff we pack into the truck. Am I correct? I use Tireminder for temp / PSI, and don't run under inflated. While researching tires (possible replacements - load range D) I found the Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. Am I incorrect that the Goodyear Marathon trailer tires evolved into these ? It was mentioned that tires / brands rely on name recognition, and they change the moniker when it sours. May be way off but just asking. By the way, our friend -the one concerned with wheel well shields, has yet to bring his TT (Springdale Hideout 272bhs) home yet, so I haven't passed much on to him yet. I will recommend that he join the RV Forum, what a great source of info & help. VERY MUCH appreciated, safe and fun RVing everyone . . . Bruce & Tina
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #31
B&T_NF-NY

Hi NUMBER 4, While My tires are still relatively new, I am very curious as to how your tires work out. At $53 (walmart) seems like a good / great deal. (The Goodyears were $110) How did you become recommended to them? One other thing - I will have the valve stems changed to metal, better heat conductance for the sensors. Thanks . . . B&T
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #32
Hootie

How many people that own a RV of any kind stay informed about their tires. When they buy a trailer from a dealer and it has brand new tires on it, they figure they are good.and rightly so. How many owners are in a forum of any kind where information is dispersed, detailing on going
Issues such as tires. A lot of owners are not. Dealers inform them and some do not, about weighing and distributing weight to help tires. Checking tires on a normal basis. But when they leave the dealer yard, how much of that info gets logged into the brain and acted on. How many forget. Owners on forums such as this one gets reminded on a daily basis, so we learn and we act on that. That is the advantage of being on a forum like this, why I joined here, A TT or 5th wheel passes me on I-40 and I see the tires under inflated I wonder if he is aware of the possible issues he can have and and that he even knows the problem exsist, no matter if it is a China bomb or a credited good manufactured tire, it will become an issue sooner that later. I see it all the time on the freeway. Knowledge is priceless, and I believe if you are able to own a TT, you need to take responsibility in maintaining it, for their safety and others.
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:01 PM   #33
CWtheMan

Tire Registration

As many on here know, I write a lot of posts about trailer tires. Remember, if it’s on a trailer it’s a trailer tire. The trailer manufacturer is bound by regulations to fit tires they deem appropriate for that particular trailer. That decision by them is not transferable to other models, just theirs.

I post this a lot. Your trailer’s tire history is very important. Tire damage is cumulative and irreversible. What has happened to your trailer’s tires from the factory to the retailer and on to you, the owner, plays a major roll in its ability to be successful for you. The trailer build date is on its certification label. The tire age is on its sidewall. How its been maintained before you took control is a toss-up. Maybe good, maybe bad.

MAKE SURE your tires are registered….

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Doc...l_3a_Chern.pdf
Old 04-13-2018, 11:18 PM   #34
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T_NF-NY View Post
Hello, very happy owner of Springdale 2200 mb. Our good friend just got a new TT - Keystone Hideout, and is worried about wheel blowout. He said that other TTs he looked at had a wheel well protective shield. He is interested in adding something to his rv to shield against tire shrapnel. Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I have tire pressure / Temp monitors (tireminder) and informed him that keeping check on the status of the tires is the best option. Thanks for your time. B&T from Niagara Falls, NY
You should remind your friend that the weight of an option like that in orange above needs to be deducted from the trailer's available cargo capacity.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #35
Hootie

I have found out over the years that all the time I spent on mods like this was taking up a lot of my time thinking about it, worrying about it, was just not worth it. I could mod it, but if a tire blows will it work, I guess if you put enough material in it it might work but as above mentioned the weight added, I have now took a different approach to it and tackle the root of the problem, as mentioned above, in this case the tires, and I do not worry anymore, due to fact I did not by this toy to worry I got it to relax and enjoy it. I do not worry about a blow out. Good tire, good maint, drive according to equipment I am towing, I now enjoy the tow and destination a whole lot more. Nothing is full proof, but if I do my due diligence in what is required of me, then I know I did it right, and it will be an issue with the tire not something I did not do.. And that is what insurance is for, I want to enjoy, relax and have fun. Not worry.
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote