Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
SlowPoke

Lightbulb New RV Owner Checklist

I searched around, and rifled through numerous posts on the forum, in respect to checklists. I as a new owner, and sorta new to the RV life, needed a checklist of sorts to organize what I had , and needed.After a first attempt, I was asked to get more input from other members and revise the list as time went by so a more complete list could be available to everyone. I've learned alot from this venture, and would like to extend the opportunity for all new forum members, and prospective RV owners alike, as well as more experienced RV'ers to have access to the list I've compiled with the help of the numerous members (TOO MANY TO NAME!) and all the moderators here! I take credit for the compilation, but extend the credit to all those who helped with constructive criticism, and helpful additions along the way; It wouldn't have been complete without all of your input!

I've made the checklist available on my Google Drive HERE in 3 different formats, JPG, PDF, and an editable Excel file.

I hope you enjoy and can get some use out of it! I know I will!

Moderator's Note: A big "thank you" to SlowPoke for the time and effort that he put into creating this Sticky for you!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPoke View Post
I searched around, and rifled through numerous posts on the forum, in respect to checklists. I as a new owner, and sorta new to the RV life, needed a checklist of sorts to organize what I had , and needed.After a first attempt, I was asked to get more input from other members and revise the list as time went by so a more complete list could be available to everyone. I've learned alot from this venture, and would like to extend the opportunity for all new forum members, and prospective RV owners alike, as well as more experienced RV'ers to have access to the list I've compiled with the help of the numerous members (TOO MANY TO NAME!) and all the moderators here! I take credit for the compilation, but extend the credit to all those who helped with constructive criticism, and helpful additions along the way; It wouldn't have been complete without all of your input!

I've made the checklist available on my Google Drive HERE in 3 different formats, JPG, PDF, and an editable Excel file.

I hope you enjoy and can get some use out of it! I know I will!

Moderator's Note: A big "thank you" to SlowPoke for the time and effort that he put into creating this Sticky for you!

Submitted on March 3, 2013
Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
rtrt94

New owner

Thank you!
rtrt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
joanlovesbob

This is so great! Thanks
joanlovesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
pookie210

Wonderful! Will definitely be taking this to the dealer next week. Thanks!!
pookie210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
Jekell

Checklisy

This is one of three checklists I can use! Thank you
Jekell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:53 AM   #7
Swanny50

Thank you very much for ALL this information. As a newbie, this will help drastically.
Swanny50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
Willie

Thanks

Thanks for the info!

2006 215 Cub
2014 Hideout 29BKS
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
Triplespool

Thumbs up Thank You

This will come in handy...
Triplespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #10
Bulletproof

Great Mods

Thanks for the mods pics, I maybe be stealing a couple of those ideas!!

2005 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2011 Bullet 281BHS
P3 Controller.
New to camping, Girls 7 and 10, Yellow Lab Dakota!
Bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
Currahee

Thank you very much for taking the time to put this together. I am looking forward to using it!
Currahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #12
Desert185

In my order of importance:

Maxxis or Carlisle tires, balanced with metal stems
Wet bolts
Surge protector (portable 50A for future use)
Water pressure regulator and inline water filter
TPMS
A good bottle jack (and a good bottle of Jack) and torque wrench
Pancake air compressor
SteadyFast stabilizers
Two, 6V golf cart batteries
Andersen levelers
Fastway one step chock
MaxxAir vent covers
Extra water hose (total 50')
Extra Rhino tank drain hose
QD propane connection for the Weber Q
Batwing antenna booster
Coax for park TV hookup
Portable ice maker
Flagpole Buddy flagpole and flag
LED bulbs
Oxygenics shower head
Step covers
Interior bling, as desired.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #13
Boulder

Just purchase Bullet 248 RKS but haven't picked it up yet. Does it come with any of this stuff? Hoses, Cords etc?
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:55 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Just purchase Bullet 248 RKS but haven't picked it up yet. Does it come with any of this stuff? Hoses, Cords etc?

Welcome to the forum!!
All the stuff needed to enjoy your new trailer is not included from the factory. Your dealer may throw some stuff in, but I think that would be rare.
During your walk through I'm sure the person doing it will be happy to help you make a list and direct you to the parts department. Pretty much everything you will need can be purchased on Amazon or your local big box store for less money.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #15
canesfan

Quote:
DONT'T buy stuff at the dealer, unless they give you a credit or coupon. It is almost always all WAY over priced. Amazon and Wmart are your friend in this case. I have always gotten a "starter kit" when buying, but that is up to the dealer. Ask if it comes with a starter kit or anything. The power cord "should" come with it from the factory. Anything else is up to what the dealer might throw in.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #16
Bolo4u

Quote:

When I returned to pick up our new 5r from the dealer, it was plugged into shore power for the walk through and demo. A couple hours later (they had to install the hitch in my truck) I was headed home, ~80 miles away. When I got home I discovered they failed to put the shore power cord in the trailer!!! Luckily I had about 4 days between the pickup and actually using the trailer and they drop shipped the cord to my home within a couple days. Thankfully I didn't discover the cord was missing at night while trying to get setup at a site in the dark while it was stormy.... [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:37 AM   #17
Sandals 123

Slowpoke, thank you for your kindness and generosity in putting together this list and publishing it for us rookies!!

Tools like this make the process of getting started just a little bit less daunting!

Alan
Sandals 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:25 AM   #18
NotSoStellar

Wish I Found This Earlier!

I wish I would have seen this information earlier, and I also wish I would have bought a Keystone instead of my super junked out Eclipse toy hauler.

We were the typical brand new, never RV'd before suckers. Our inspection was really less that two minutes long when we were hooking it up to the truck. We bought our Eclipse toy hauler and walked outside. The dealer goes, its all ready, we checked everything on your trailer and you are all set!

Having never done this before I thought, oh ok how nice, It's brand new, what could possibly be wrong.

DAY ONE, kitchen sink drain broken, toilet leaks in the back....and overflows, the water heater does not work, the regular heater does not work, the fridge does not work, the shower leaks, the roof leaked and soaked everything and on and on and on....

Our Eclipse Stellar toy hauler and just been a nightmare from day one. Now it is out of warranty and still breaking. In the months we have had it has been in service longer than my house and I have used it 1.5 times.

BUY A KEYSTONE....USE A CHECKLIST....AND NEVER EVER EVER BUY AN PRODUCT MADE BY ECLIPSE RECREATIONAL VEHICLES INC - Review

We are working on selling it right now and will be buying a Keystone shortly, hope to see you all out there!
NotSoStellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:39 AM   #19
Sandals 123

Terrible story

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoStellar View Post
I wish I would have seen this information earlier, and I also wish I would have bought a Keystone instead of my super junked out Eclipse toy hauler.

We were the typical brand new, never RV'd before suckers. Our inspection was really less that two minutes long when we were hooking it up to the truck. We bought our Eclipse toy hauler and walked outside. The dealer goes, its all ready, we checked everything on your trailer and you are all set!

Having never done this before I thought, oh ok how nice, It's brand new, what could possibly be wrong.

DAY ONE, kitchen sink drain broken, toilet leaks in the back....and overflows, the water heater does not work, the regular heater does not work, the fridge does not work, the shower leaks, the roof leaked and soaked everything and on and on and on....

Our Eclipse Stellar toy hauler and just been a nightmare from day one. Now it is out of warranty and still breaking. In the months we have had it has been in service longer than my house and I have used it 1.5 times.

BUY A KEYSTONE....USE A CHECKLIST....AND NEVER EVER EVER BUY AN PRODUCT MADE BY ECLIPSE RECREATIONAL VEHICLES INC - Review

We are working on selling it right now and will be buying a Keystone shortly, hope to see you all out there!
What a lousy way to start your RV experience! My wife and I are just lucky as we were referred to the Dealership and had no experience, the dealership just happened to sell Couger and has a tremendous loyal customer base.

We got an initial "walk through" and spent a night in our new unit right in the dealership parking lot... Lol.. The dealership then winterized it and is storing it for us until the new year. They will then do a second walk through with us before hitting the road.

If any of you are on Vancouver Island, I recommend Greg's RV in Duncan.

Good luck with your sale.
Sandals 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #20
Swampdollar

Excellent list! Just downloaded the excel file!
Thanks!
Swampdollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
checklist, list, new rv, stuff