Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #21
Big1

This is a good post, I'm a retired Army MSG and have stay at a few military post camp grounds. We are looking to go to AZ this summer so is there any good places down around Flagstaff or Scottsdale area?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #22
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
This is a good post, I'm a retired Army MSG and have stay at a few military post camp grounds. We are looking to go to AZ this summer so is there any good places down around Flagstaff or Scottsdale area?
The only place we have stayed in that area of AZ was at Williams. We stayed at the railway park and rode the train to the Grand Canyon and spent a night up there at the hotel.

The Railway station is in the RV Park area. The park office has a pet motel. Across the train tracks you'll find US-66 running right down main street. Great little IGA store. See the link below.

https://www.thetrain.com/lodging/rv-park/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #23
CWtheMan

Naval Air Station Jacksonville, FL RV Park

We lived at Jacksonville, FL, off and on, for a combined 23 years. Our grand children and great grand children live there. We lived there when we sold everything and started our RV life on the road. This park was the very first place we parked our new trailer. Since then we must have stayed there more than a dozen times over the years.

I was never stationed at JAX. However, I worked there for the Navy for 10 years before we went RVing.

NAS JAX is a large compact base with all the expected amenities. Right across the street from the RV Park there is a 27 hole golfing facility with a full service restaurant. There is a full service marina with boat launching and mooring facilities. A full size Olympic swimming pool. There is a huge commissary and Navy Exchange facilities.
In the MWR link below in the lower right hand corner there is another link to a very nice PDF file about the RV Park.

https://www.navymwrjacksonville.com/...d-6a6e61bfb681

NOTE: The 2nd TV dish in the pictures belonged to the folks behind us. When we parked they could no longer get a signal so I loaned them 50' of TV cable and we moved their ant. next to ours.

The building in the background houses the free laundry, showers and restrooms. It's also where the free news papers are delivered daily.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #24
CWtheMan

Ellsworth AFB FAMCAMP – Box Elder, SD

When visiting the Rapid City area of SD we highly recommend this FAMCAMP – if you’re eligible. It provides a wonderful and safe base camp for all visits to the surrounding attractions. The MWR have very reasonable priced van tours to and from all the major attractions. No worrying about finding parking or roaming around in the roadways “rubber necking”. The drivers we had were all retired military and very knowledgeable in presenting information about the attractions and the drive to and from them. All MWR tours originate and end at the FAMCAMP.

The FAMCAMP has two circular parking areas with all back-ins. Sites are nicely sized for all rigs. In the link below there are two PDF files
easily opened. In the second one we were parked in site #2.

Ellsworth AFB has a huge military aircraft museum with the entrance at the main gate. They also operate van tours of the base including a ride along an active flight line.

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/so...th-afb-famcamp

Old 03-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #25
Tbos

Thanks for posting about all these sites. I really appreciate it and I’m sure others do too.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #26
CWtheMan

USAF New Boston Recreational Area, NH

The New Boston Air Force Station is a United States Air Force facility located in Hillsborough County in south central New Hampshire. Unfortunately, they are never reliable and right now none of their RV parking sites are available for use. They have never been able to insure complete disposal of the mysterious unexploded WWII munitions that may still be there (somewhere).

Once upon a time we enjoyed the opportunity to spend 10 days there. That’s about all we could do because of the lack of black water disposal. The dump station was more than a mile away and uphill. I was not going to haul my 30 gallon blue boy up and down that road.

The base is quite isolated with almost no amenities. But, it was a wonderful place to just chill and enjoy the abundance of late springtime wild animal activities. Of course we were not supposed to fish in the beautiful clear pond right at our door steps. I guess they don’t watch via satellite because we had lots of nice fresh fish for dinners while there.

There is still camping allowed but no utilities of any sort. Pack in your water. When we were there we had 30 AMP service and fresh water and were allowed to run a gray water hose into a low area 50’ behind the trailer. (I had one of those unusual 60’ blue hoses).

If you’re up in that neck of the woods you can refer to the link below for possible changes in availability.

https://www.militarycampgrounds.us/n...ecreation-area

This was our site right on the bank of a beautiful clear water pond.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #27
Big1

Awesome, their are some nice military campground out there.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #28
Tbos

Thanks everyone for your posts here. I’ve added several CGs to my list of possibilities!
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #29
KC10Chief

Great post! I am a retired Air Force flight engineer. I retired at the end of 2017. We aren't living full time yet since our 12 year old daughter is still at home, obviously. But my wife and I have been talking about it for years!

I currently live in Oklahoma City. The closest military base is Tinker AFB. The fam camp there is pretty sad in my opinion. It would be okay for stopping for a day or two. But there's a lot of traffic nearby and a LOT of traffic flying overhead. There is a shoppette that is walking distance and a small pond. Some walking trails right there as well. Vance AFB is about 90 miles NNW of here and I don't believe they have a famcamp at all. Then there's Ft. Sill down in SW Oklahoma. They have some fantastic camping on base there. Beautiful views there as there are some small mountains and lakes nearby. Lots of wildlife like buffalo, longhorn cattle, and prairie doge nearby.

I was also stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Alaska for five years of my career. They have several very nice famcamps on base as well as Ft. Richardson. If you are wanting to stay in the Anchorage area, the famcamps there are excellent. Big trees and beautiful areas. I was always trying to convince the single guys I was stationed with to live in an RV at famcamp! HA! There is also the Seward military resort in Seward, AK. It's one of the prettiest places on earth. They have RV parking as well as lodging and tours. Fishing tours, snowmobile (snow machine in AK) tours, etc. It's a fantastic place to stay.
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #30
CWtheMan

Grand Forks AFB FAMCAMP, Grand Forks, ND

While on a journey using US-2, east – west from the MI (UP) to US-85, we stopped at this FAMCAMP for replenishments from their commissary. It was a bright sunny afternoon when we got there. Around midnight the thunderstorms moved in and all we had for our stay there was heavy rain.

No pictures except the one at the main gate when we got there. There are a couple in the reference below. I'm pretty sure that's my picture Larry is using in his link on the front page of the reference.

The major commands stationed there were on deployment and the base was just about deserted. However, the commissary was well stocked and we loaded-up on meats, canned goods, coffee & tea. We made it a habit to get all of our veggies from road-side vendors.

The RV Parking is back in the “south 40s”, very quiet & secluded and loaded with giant mosquitoes.

With all the rain it did not flood.

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/no...ks-afb-famcamp

Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #31
Big1

Wow, the wife and I just pick up a 2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS and we are excited to get out in her, I think that Whidbey Island might be first site to go to.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #32
CWtheMan

Pelican Roost RV Park, Naval Station, Mayport, FL

Now I’m getting down to our favorites. This is on our favorites list for location and amenities. It’s located right on the south jetties aboard the Mayport, FL Naval Station. Everything that comes and goes to Jacksonville, FL by water passes by this RV Park. An added feature is the stone jetties. No matter the time of year you can always catch all sorts of fish there and it’s right across the park road. The RV Park office keeps cut baits on hand.

Because it’s a major Naval Base with an air station, the normally expected service facilities are there. There is an 18 hole golf course with a full service restaurant. The golf course is a true links course.

The RV parking sites range from spacious to close together. We have been in all of them. As long as they have FHU service we never refuse what they offer at check-in time. Normally, when in season, the front row sites are relocated every two weeks. The shutterbugs really covet them.

The park location and all other necessary information about it are in the link below. Lots of pictures including a couple of mine especially the tall ship.

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/fl...-roost-rv-park

In the pictures below we were in a spacious corner site that was a back-in to a ball field.

The aircraft carrier in the Mayport Basin was the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67). It was the last carrier to be home ported there. (Picture taken from the RV Park). Mayport no longer is home port to aircraft carriers. The basin is too shallow for nuke carriers. They can come and go on high tides but at low tide they set on bottom and that's not good. There has been off and on debate about dredging but until they get a firm commitment from the Navy it’s just going to be rumor.