Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #21
Signguy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locowrench View Post
From the outside there is no visible damage other than a slight outline of the frame work of the door, very faint. The only damage is on the inside of the door all the way up the middle.

How much does your Road King weigh?
Around 800 pounds.
Signguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #22
Dbsharley

New Ramp Door

How long did it take for Keystone to approve a new ramp door. I have a 2014 Fuzion 301 with the same ramp issues. I emailed pictures of the ramp to the dealer a month ago and they sent to them to Keystone. After not hearing from them I sent the same pictures to Keystone and they told me to take it to the dealer. Took it to the dealer and they took more pictures and sent them to Keystone and wanted me to take the trailer home and wait until they heard something. (we live 2 hours away so we left it there) I had a conversation with the dealer this week and they are still waiting to hear back from Keystone. Seriously!!! How long will it sit there before there is an answer????????? This was my first Keystone trailer and it will be my last!!! We have had 2 other toy haulers and never had this problem with getting problems resolved. Is there someone I can address this with?
Dbsharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear your having issues. "how long does it take?", there isn't any "normal" time frame, and I can assure you as an employee in the RV business I have seen from 2 hours to 2 months. If you think switching brands is going to get things done faster, I wish you luck. They all take whatever time they need based on factors we have no influence on like work load, production, employee issues...

Who at Keystone did you contact?
No-one on this forum works for Keystone that we are aware of.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbsharley View Post
How long did it take for Keystone to approve a new ramp door. I have a 2014 Fuzion 301 with the same ramp issues. I emailed pictures of the ramp to the dealer a month ago and they sent to them to Keystone. After not hearing from them I sent the same pictures to Keystone and they told me to take it to the dealer. Took it to the dealer and they took more pictures and sent them to Keystone and wanted me to take the trailer home and wait until they heard something. (we live 2 hours away so we left it there) I had a conversation with the dealer this week and they are still waiting to hear back from Keystone. Seriously!!! How long will it sit there before there is an answer????????? This was my first Keystone trailer and it will be my last!!! We have had 2 other toy haulers and never had this problem with getting problems resolved. Is there someone I can address this with?
You might want to follow up with the person you were corresponding with who told you to take it to the dealership. While they may not now be involved with the problem, at least it's an "inroad" with a "previously contacted person" at Keystone.

As said, it's not just Keystone that has delay problems with work approvals, all the manufacturers have things that, for some unknown reason, "just take time". That said, I don't believe the manufacturers have any idea how frustrating their delays can be to the customer, but maybe they do know and are doing the "best they can" ??? Who knows.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #25
Locowrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbsharley View Post
I suggest you pressure your dealer rather than waisting your time with Keystone. They are much better at tap dancing rather than helping you out. I was told that my new door was in but it was not so I am still waiting as well.

Good luck!!

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Locowrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #26
meseahunt

sure glad I saw this thread, it has made my eyes a lil larger to this model as well as the others w/this sorta door configuration??? o well, guess its on to another model???
meseahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #27
Locowrench

I got an email from my dealer saying that my new door is in and ready to be installed. I think Im going to have the door installed and then trade this darn thing in. Anyone know of a toy hauler that has a door made by some one other than Lippert?

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 11-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're satisfied with your Fuzion (other than the door issue), have you considered having someone strengthen your newly installed door, or even having a custom door built? You could likely have either of those done by a reputable welding/fabrication shop for much less than you'd lose trading in your RV, paying sales tax/fees on a replacement. Who knows, you may wind up trading your existing door problems for another, even more troublesome set of complaints...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #29
Locowrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you're satisfied with your Fuzion (other than the door issue), have you considered having someone strengthen your newly installed door, or even having a custom door built? You could likely have either of those done by a reputable welding/fabrication shop for much less than you'd lose trading in your RV, paying sales tax/fees on a replacement. Who knows, you may wind up trading your existing door problems for another, even more troublesome set of complaints...
Its funny that this comes up now, today. We were out exploring today, looking to see if other manufactures use the same brand of door and for the most part they all do now. In my travels I stopped in to chat with a dealer in Salem Oregon. Come to find out that they have a method of totally stripping the door and taking all the soft structure out of it and replace it with something more substantial that will hold up and then the door is vacuum sealed again to look brand now. I showed him pictures of mine and he said he sees it all the time. Now Im going to work with my dealer and see if they will have that done as apposed to continuing to replace that door every time it fails. It is not cheap to do but neither is replacing it every 3 months.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 11-19-2014, 06:10 AM   #30
Locowrench

I spoke to the dealer about having the door redone and beefed up and they said no way. The door is under warranty through Keystone and they won't allow any modifications to the door, that would void the warranty. Now how stupid is that!!!

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 11-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I spoke to the dealer about having the door redone and beefed up and they said no way. The door is under warranty through Keystone and they won't allow any modifications to the door, that would void the warranty. Now how stupid is that!!!
That sounds pretty typical for almost any large business. It's not about "common sense" but about what keeps the "audit trail" visible for the investors. For all the doors that are simply replaced, chances are the "auditors" have "proven" that a high percentage never come back, but with modified doors, more come back for repair, so the practice is to replace, not modify.

Keystone often just tells the dealership to discard the damaged, replaced parts, so you might be able to get your old door from the dealership for the cost of hauling it away. The warranty is only for one year, which passes all to quickly, and if your dealership will give you the door, you might consider having it repaired/beefed up, so when the current one fails, you've got the "new improved model" ready to install.

Remember that all too often, when that "magic one year" is finished, Keystone can simply say, "sorry, you're out of warranty" even though there is an ongoing issue. It's also that way with Ford, GM and others... If they replace an alternator at 49,000 miles, the warranty on that alternator expires at 50,000 miles just like the "rest of the truck". They won't extend the alternator warranty to 99,000 miles so it has a longer warranty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #32
Desert185

Before rolling your Wing over the new ramp, I would obtain a piece of 1/4" thick, two foot wide Aluminum plate the length of your ramp, paint it with a non-skid paint (aircraft wing walk or something similar) and bond it with construction adhesive and bolts to your ramp where your Wing contacts the ramp. This should cure the problem with minimal weight and expense.

My GS doesn't hurt our ramp, but it is less than 600#.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #33
BeaverRZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Before rolling your Wing over the new ramp, I would obtain a piece of 1/4" thick, two foot wide Aluminum plate the length of your ramp, paint it with a non-skid paint (aircraft wing walk or something similar) and bond it with construction adhesive and bolts to your ramp where your Wing contacts the ramp. This should cure the problem with minimal weight and expense.

My GS doesn't hurt our ramp, but it is less than 600#.

This is probably going to be your best solution. When I had my Fuzion 295, the rear upper bunk cross members would pop loose anytime somebody slept up here and sag terribly in the middle. I talked with the dealer about fixes and as mentioned before, any changes would result in warranty voids. Keystone replaced this bunk 4 times in a year!!! I wrote emails and called keystone to suggest and engineering fix and they wouldnt even talk to me.

In the end, I ended up cutting 1/2" plywood the size of the bed and laying it under the mattress to evenly distribute the weight. Never had a problem again. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #34
Locowrench

Latest update

Here is the latest update on my 3rd failed door. As per my agreement with the dealer I rode up there to test the new 3rd door while they watched. The new door did the same thing that the previous two did on the first run. Long story short is that I left the trailer on the lot. Today I get a call from Keystone staying that is within the limits of the door and that they will do nothing more about it. So Im stuck with this trailer the way it is. I kind of figured as much.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 01-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #35
ScottyNuff

Glad I saw this post. I was considering the patio option.......now it seems that it's a "must" if I plan on riding my heavy street bike into the garage!!! NOT excited about the $2k extra expense, but don't want to go through the "Door swap merry-go-round!"

ScottyNuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:23 AM   #36
Locowrench

Merry-Go-Round is correct, avoid it at all cost. I hate to see what the door looks like in a year, after a dozen trips up it on my bike. That's what I eluded to with Keystone and all they could tell me was that the issue has been documented and in the event the door has a catastrophic failure then they will look into it.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 01-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #37
64tbolt

I' glad I bought my Keystone used. Got it cheap. Now I know why. But I have fixed all the engineering issues myself as I am a fabricator & welder. Almost all have been with frame issues like my fresh water tank falling almost onto the axles when the iron support structure failed. Good luck with your door.
64tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #38
Locowrench

We finally got the chance to load up and take the bike out, first time on this 3rd new door. I tried something different and took Lipperts advice, I loaded from the right side of the door rather than up the center. Just as with the other 2 doors the bike left a dent in the door where I rode up. I have a friend that has a Voltage Toyhauler who also loads his Goldwings and the door on that trailer doesn't have a mark on it. I don't get it, same manufacturer of the door but the quality of the door is obviously different.

2014 Fuzion 301
2012 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing
Old 06-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #39
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

As you're not allowed to have the old doors for an autopsy and you know that Keystone isn't going to address it with more doors, I'd plate the darn thing......
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #40
steve slade

Quote:
Its funny that this comes up now, today. We were out exploring today, looking to see if other manufactures use the same brand of door and for the most part they all do now. In my travels I stopped in to chat with a dealer in Salem Oregon. Come to find out that they have a method of totally stripping the door and taking all the soft structure out of it and replace it with something more substantial that will hold up and then the door is vacuum sealed again to look brand now. I showed him pictures of mine and he said he sees it all the time. Now Im going to work with my dealer and see if they will have that done as apposed to continuing to replace that door every time it fails. It is not cheap to do but neither is replacing it every 3 months.
Where is this place in Oregon that takes apart doors and reinforces them. I have a carbon 32 that I would like to get the door reinforced so I could get the patio option
steve slade is offline   Reply With Quote