Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
Maxzd

2011 Cougar 325SRX Toyhauler

So we just picked up our 2011 Cougar 325SRX Toyhauler from the local dealer here in British Columbia Canada. We ordered the unit in early august and it arrived this week for pickup. We previously owned a Tango 276RBS Trailer, which was a good little unit for two people. Perfectly happy with it, but I got it into my skull that we needed something bigger and with a growing little one seemed like it was inevitable..

So how did I approach this purchase and a bit of why.. Well, I've been to enough RV Shows and have owned an RV or two in camper form and trailer form to know what I like and don't like. I've never owned a 5th wheel before, but I've owned a Dodge Ram 3500 1 Ton for many years so I had a wide range of options and choices. We talked about a larger trailer, 30ish feet with double slide. It would have worked, still would have the truck bed. Looked at Raptor's, Fuzions, Cyclone's but each one of them just felt the floor plan wasn't quite what we wanted seemed like each model had 4-5 feet of inefficient space that wasn't really necessary for us at least. I wasn't crazy about the idea of triple axle, the weight, the fuel economy, the length. I wanted something that was a little smaller and still could accomplish most of what I wanted best of all things. I sold myself on the idea of a toyhauler for all the years we've left on a thursday night, and home late on a sunday night. Tired, the last thing you want to do is unload the truck bed, but you pretty much have to or it might "walk away" in the night.. Toyhauler, gets backed into the driveway and you can deal with it during the week..

With a bunch of research online, found the SRX floorplan for the Keystone Cougars. Wasn't crazy about the 320srx being a side loading door and no internal passage door didn't give it a second look for us. After a bit more research I realized there was a new model 325SRX which has redesigned the floor plan and moved to a side entry but rear ramp door. It's not a full size ramp / door, it's similar to the Keystone Raptor 3602RL Door and Ramp. In fact, probably is the same..

So what sold us on this particular model, in no particular order.

1) Separate shower and bathroom. I do not like RV's that have open shower or sink in the master bathroom. Just want it all self contained and like having a separate vent in the bathroom.

2) Liked having a double slide and wanted tables and chairs. It was an option, comes standard with dinette but we like the chairs, makes it feel a bit higher end..

3) Inside loft. This unit has an "L" shaped upper loft that an adult could sleep in comfortably, or a couple kids if need be. It's accessible inside, which is something I wanted long term for when our boy gets older, not out in the garage.

4) Passthru storage and front storage compartments are very roomy. One thing I liked about our Tango Trailer was we could actually fit bins, and even lounge chairs through the passthru storage doors. Most trailers you're lucky if you can fit a beer cooler in them. So lots of storage and front compartment has a lower tray for some big battery potential.

5) My wife liked the colour scheme and design. Personally I have no opinion on the subject, but there are some toyhaulers that are a bit much when it comes to design. My name isn't Ricky Bobby and I don't need everything I own to look like I'm competing in the Indy 500..

6) Length and weight. It's 8 feet wide, It's just shy of 37 feet long. It weights under 10k without payload. It's just enough and hopefully save a few pennies to buy a 6 pack or two.

So what is a compromise. Well, the garage isn't a full sized 10 foot garage, it's 10 feet at it's longest part, and at it's shortest 7 1/2 feet. So most bikes, most atv's will fit. As for having two full ATV's, not likely. A couple of dirt bikes, I think so. Weight wise, rating is 1000lbs in the garage which seems like it's enough but adds up quick. The other compromise is kitchen counter space. It's not ideal in this unit. Those boards that go over the sink are not a substitute for counter space, don't care what any sales person says. I guess being a sales person, you don't have to use the products you sell, it shows most of the time!

So our unit showed up a few days ago and it's different than ordered, different than expected. Now that's not always a good thing, but in our case we're pleased with what's changed.

It appears like Cougar has changed their exterior graphics and colors for factory orders. A change for the better, more modern looking and colours are grey, beige, black. (see the picture below). The nosecap is all beige now. It actually makes the unit look completely different, almost feels like it's higher end feeling. Inside, the stove has been upgraded to slightly different model, the burners are new design. The thermostat is a dometic digital bye-bye analog or need to change it. The wardrobe slide has what appears to be a slightly different motor setup than previous. Seems beefier, looks more professionally installed.

Well. That's it for now. I drove it home and it's sat in the driveway since. Tomorrow will be the first day I'll have a chance to start transfering a half a garage worth of stuff from the old unit to this one.

Be interested in hearing if other people have looked at this unit or own one of these units. I have a bunch of improvements and upgrades I have ready to put on the unit just need the time. Solar Panels, Inverter, Batteries, RV Vacuum, and 3 maxxair 5000 fans/integrated vents 1 maxxair 7000. I'm going to try and document the ongoing saga of owning and upgrading on this unit and share it in some form..

Have a look at the picture below of our new home away from home!

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
rhd47

Your timing on this report is EXCELLENT! I too have been very interested in the Cougar after looking at one at the dealer. I was thinking about ( and looking at ) something bigger, but just for myself it would be over kill. I like the floor plan of the Cougar and I'm only going to put one bike in it. My big concern is that I've also looked at the Fuzion 302 and there is about 2000 lbs difference between the two ( Fuzion heavier ) and the Cougar is almost 2 1/2 feet longer! Where could the difference be? I look forward to further post from you and others on the Cougar between now and next spring. I have nothing yet and still in the decision phase.
It will all be new to me.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
kyaber

Thanks for the info, me and DW have looked at this model and pretty much have decided to get this one. Once money saved up.

Also got a bunch of mods thinking about.

Looking forward to seeing your ongoing changes and mods.

Ken
Old 11-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
jje1960

Finally another with same

Nice to finally see another with the new face. We ordered ours (by luck) because the lot unit was sold prior to actual purchase. When we went to see our unit after arrival, first "obvious" change was the dark face... we loved it! Then the digital aircon thermostat and other small changes became apparent. We spent a couple of years deciding on what to move up-2, I wanted something larger and more open than the 30' TT that we had and this unit was in the "price-point". I actually had to tear my golf cart apart and chop a few inches off the length, but a day of work was well worth it. We pick our new unit up in two day's, can't wait to get the beast in the driveway. Best thing is that we feel right about the cost, considering the "wholesale" guy's up in Michigan were at $29.8K, the $33.5K we paid was more than reasonable for what we are getting.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
Nice to finally see another with the new face. We ordered ours (by luck) because the lot unit was sold prior to actual purchase. When we went to see our unit after arrival, first "obvious" change was the dark face... we loved it! Then the digital aircon thermostat and other small changes became apparent. We spent a couple of years deciding on what to move up-2, I wanted something larger and more open than the 30' TT that we had and this unit was in the "price-point". I actually had to tear my golf cart apart and chop a few inches off the length, but a day of work was well worth it. We pick our new unit up in two day's, can't wait to get the beast in the driveway. Best thing is that we feel right about the cost, considering the "wholesale" guy's up in Michigan were at $29.8K, the $33.5K we paid was more than reasonable for what we are getting.
JJE1960 -Sounds like you got a good deal. Congratulations on your new purchase. Looking forward to hearing more about your unit and exchanging ideas and thoughts on the unit.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 11-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Maxzd

Update since purchase.

So only a few short weeks have passed since we took posession of the unit. It's been unseasonably cold in these parts, so my motivation has been extremely low to do much. On top of that, not much daylight once I get home from work so things have been slower than I'd want.

First Project Batteries. My preference will be to have up to (6) 6 Volt Batteries inside the front storage area. There is a large 17 1/2" Deep tray the width of the 5th wheel. I need to design some type of battery box to make it all look good and functional. With that type of weight I cut angle iron and ran it from side to side and cut plywood to fit end to end. Moved the ground wire it was in a dumb location and basically everything is a friction fit. Wired up the batteries temporarily. This picture is a few weeks old just wanted to get the batteries in there so they were being charged.

Started Installing an RV Vacuum the Dirt Devil CV950. Very solid little unit, comes with everything you need. I found the route that works best in my unit, which is on the small wall next to the entertainment center. I measured and was pretty careful as I was cutting the access hole. Didn't realize there was a vent stack in the wall! very close about an inch to the right.. Can't even tell from the basement with the panels removed, so be careful and drill pilot holes first and take your time. The basement has some access panels which need to be removed. I had to cut a larger access hole to fish the backing plate in. Overall it was about 2 hours of install time. Knowing what I know now I could do it in probably half the time.

Also installed 2 additional awings. One on the big slide, one on the wardrobe slide. Relatively straightforward install, took a helping hand to get it started just to level it straight. Almost a shame putting an awning over the wardrobe slide given how small it is, but I just don't want the rain and other elements back in the unit when I slide it back in! I have a few pictures but haven't transfered them from the camera yet.

Will continue to post what makes sense. At some point I probably will create website dedicated to this unit and my mods.

-Maxzd.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 11-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd47 View Post
Your timing on this report is EXCELLENT! I too have been very interested in the Cougar after looking at one at the dealer. I was thinking about ( and looking at ) something bigger, but just for myself it would be over kill. I like the floor plan of the Cougar and I'm only going to put one bike in it. My big concern is that I've also looked at the Fuzion 302 and there is about 2000 lbs difference between the two ( Fuzion heavier ) and the Cougar is almost 2 1/2 feet longer! Where could the difference be? I look forward to further post from you and others on the Cougar between now and next spring. I have nothing yet and still in the decision phase.
It will all be new to me.
RHD47 - Before we purchased the Cougar 325SRX, we did look at the Fuzion 302. It is 102" Wide-Body and does allow for alot more cargo Weight which means it would have a stronger chassis and axles are beefier. It is also pre-wired for an on-board generator which I'm sure adds weight to allow for that. It is hard to believe there is that much weight difference between these two models but there are heavier materials through-out the unit, garage patio slider, garage beds, larger L shaped kitchen island too.

I liked alot of things about the Fuzion 302 but 4 things for our taste made us strike it off the list. If it's just for you, then these things might not all be a big concern.

1) We like a dedicated bathroom. The shower and sink are open to the main bedroom area in the Fuzion 302. Fine if you're one guy, but with a family or friends it's a major inconvience no privacy.

2) The large Couch with dinette table. It's great in certain situations when you entertain but we wanted freestanding tables and chairs and a separate couch.

3) We wanted maximum dedicated sleeping inside the unit not outside. In the Fuzion 302 if you pull off the road on your way to your destination the beds are in the back along with all your toys. In the Cougar we have a dedicated loft inside the unit that mutlple kids or an adult has access to quickly and comfortably.

4) Price. Retail to Retail where I live, it's $19,000 dollars more for the Fuzion 302. Now I'm sure if I had my mind set on the Fuzion 302 I would have got a better deal and narrowed that down. I just don't see sacricifing our 3 other concerns are worth the extra dollars and the benefits a Fuzion 302 has..

So again, for us, the Cougar 325srx is less weight, maximum living space, with decent garage to fit a couple dirt bikes or one road bike. I also see it being a good playroom for our little guy when it's raining outside and when we don't have the "big toys" along with us.

-Maxzd.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 11-28-2010, 02:24 AM   #8
jje1960

Well, picked up the 325SRX yesterday. Although the biting cold wind and slight flurries attempted to make us miserable.... We got the unit home and in it's spot. This was my first time backing up a 5th wheel, it was much different than backing up our trailer. Felt like a rookie again... My kids love the unit! At 19 and 16 it's hard to impress them anymore, however they think we made the perfect choice! Now have till Spring to fiddle with a few things. First on the list is to figure out how to run a power line from the truck bed, allowing generator to provide power for the aircon. We stop at Walmart's usually on the way to destinations and having the connection in-place without running cords in the parking lot is a must for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1163.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	206  
Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Maxzd

Quote:
Well, picked up the 325SRX yesterday. Although the biting cold wind and slight flurries attempted to make us miserable.... We got the unit home and in it's spot. This was my first time backing up a 5th wheel, it was much different than backing up our trailer. Felt like a rookie again... My kids love the unit! At 19 and 16 it's hard to impress them anymore, however they think we made the perfect choice! Now have till Spring to fiddle with a few things. First on the list is to figure out how to run a power line from the truck bed, allowing generator to provide power for the aircon. We stop at Walmart's usually on the way to destinations and having the connection in-place without running cords in the parking lot is a must for me.
Nice combo looks good with your truck. Yes backing up a 5th wheel, this is my first time owning one too. I could back a trailer up in my sleep but had to actually stop for a minute and think about how this thing would angle into my driveway.

Hooking up with the remote is awesome. Being able to raise and lower the front jacks in the truck is slick. Compared to a trailer this part is ridiculously simple..

I am exploring the same options, likely will wire in a 30amp connection plug up front outside and allow for a short cord from truck bed generator to unit. I have all kinds of electrical to figure out. Solar, inverter, batteries.

Just had 4 maxxair fans delivered with the integrated covers. 3 are manual open and 1 is remote control for the living room area. The move a ton of air even when closed. I figured if I am stopped and can't easily run the generator these are a next best thing to aircon.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 12-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
jje1960

Generator(s)

After much thought.... Will be building a pull-out slide rack under the bumper. Considering we can't always have the truck (and it's bed with gen in it) close to the unit, figure best is to have a slide out rack for two 2k or 2.7k units connected. This way when we stop overnight, can fire them up right next to the plug and run the 15k aircon. When we get where we are going, push the rack in and lock the gen's in the bed of the truck or in the back of the haul space. After unloading the golf cart at Bristol, we close it back up and put the gens back on the slide out rack. I would still like to wire a plug up front to have the option of running gen out of the back of the truck bed, so I'd love to know how anyone accomplishes this! Currently looking at two 2.7's with electric start made in china vs the honda's, found a deal for under $2k that will provide over 5k watts when linked together. Nice to have the option of using only one unit when the aircon is not used, big saving on fuel. We do Bristol for a week every year, need the aircon but when going up to Oswego, we need well under the 2.7 or even 2k of single unit.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
scroses

Kitchen Counter Extension?

Hello. My wife and I really like the layout for our family with 3 kids. 2 Questions come to mind:

1) Is there a kitchen counter extension with this unit? The counter space looks a bit limited, but I saw on the keystone website that some of the Cougars have extensions that are stored under the sink. Curious if that's an option with the 325 SRX.

2) What about clothes storage for the kids? I know there is a pull out drawer under the sofa, but is there any additional space other than the master bedroom?

Thank you for any feedback!

Shawn
Old 12-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #12
jje1960

Counter space / storage

Give an' take on all different units.... Yes, the counter space is very limited in the 325SRX. We are going to build our own slide out extension or flip-up. As for storage, there is a pretty good sized cabinet in the rear cargo area, however it's pretty high up, we purchased a very light step stool to reach it and will mount the stool on the wall in the cargo area. Another thought (we are doing this as well) is to purchase a free standing small dresser for the cargo area, there is plenty of room back there that's for sure. Also, don't forget about the loft area, one thing that none of the pictures show is the connecting space over the doorway, it actually makes the loft L-shaped, we are going to put plastic stack drawers up there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1161.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	223  
Old 12-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
scroses

Thanks for the answers. We use the plastic drawers in our current 21ft tt. You can't have everything, but was curious if we didn't see any hidden storage when we looked. Enjoy your new toy!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
jje1960

30amp front plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxzd View Post
Nice combo looks good with your truck. Yes backing up a 5th wheel, this is my first time owning one too. I could back a trailer up in my sleep but had to actually stop for a minute and think about how this thing would angle into my driveway.
So have you had time to do anything with installing a plug in the front of the unit? Am very interested in this, having the option of having the gen unit in the truck bed is best option. Have yet again changed our mind, my go with a single Boliy PRO3600SiE+ W/ ELECTRIC START to power the 15k aircon.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
X-Treme

Quote:

Just curious as to what kind of batteries those are that you are running? Seem very space efficient. 6V / 12V?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #16
jje1960

Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
Just curious as to what kind of batteries those are that you are running? Seem very space efficient. 6V / 12V?
With the last unit we had, 27QBSS TT, we had two regular car type batt's, gave us enough to go through an entire night without worrying about the furnace fan going dead. The best hook-up, as shown in previous posts here are those 6V golf cart type batteries. They are true deep-cycle and last much longer if you will be doing considerable dry camping. It's been so cold out that I have not even taken the cover off and investigated what they put in our new SRX, would expect it's nothing but a standard car batt.... There is so many other things to do... I'll just end up adding another same next to it, rely on the generator for extended stays off shore power.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
Maxzd

Quote:
So have you had time to do anything with installing a plug in the front of the unit? Am very interested in this, having the option of having the gen unit in the truck bed is best option. Have yet again changed our mind, my go with a single Boliy PRO3600SiE+ W/ ELECTRIC START to power the 15k aircon.
I have been pretty busy with the unit. My father-in-law bought a 325srx now too and we have been back and forth on various upgrades and installations. He is semi retired so he has a few mods ahead. Sticking with the Plug at back of the unit for now but nothing stopping me from having two if I want with the setup I will describe below.

No plug at front of the unit yet but the way we have been able to run 2 electrical conduit lines from front hatch under the front stairs to under the fridge. Tricky but measured a dozen times and it all lines up. Metal conduit outside under stairs and plastic inside. This allowed for wiring up an inverter, wiring up the solar panel charger, and any future considerations. Most of december has been a about installing an automatic transfers switch. When you remove the panel there is tons of room for the transfer switch. So I will post what this all looks like with pictures in the near future. The transfer switch is wired using plugs 110 male and female plugs, and a 30 amp dryer plug. This way easy connect, easy remove if ever required. Essentially the 50amp plug from shore power is now in a dryer outlet box. The transfer switch box is wired with a dryer plug, it plugs into the dryer outlet box. The panel plugs into the female 110v plug, and the male 110v plug is used for inverter. The converter is hardwired into the transfers switch. That line was run thru the conduit to front hatch and plugs into the inverter.

Sounds complicated but more time consuming than complicated. Basically build the same thing a company called go power makes but charges double or triple what it costs to do it yourself. Now i can run the inverter without running the cord outside every time from shore power to inverter. Just have to Press the remote inverter switch and the whole unit switches from dc to ac.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #18
Maxzd

Quote:
Give an' take on all different units.... Yes, the counter space is very limited in the 325SRX. We are going to build our own slide out extension or flip-up. As for storage, there is a pretty good sized cabinet in the rear cargo area, however it's pretty high up, we purchased a very light step stool to reach it and will mount the stool on the wall in the cargo area. Another thought (we are doing this as well) is to purchase a free standing small dresser for the cargo area, there is plenty of room back there that's for sure. Also, don't forget about the loft area, one thing that none of the pictures show is the connecting space over the doorway, it actually makes the loft L-shaped, we are going to put plastic stack drawers up there.
Good point about the loft and plastic bins. Good spot for seasonal clothing or what have you...

I just ordered an entire an additional drawer for the kitchen this week. I am not sure why the factory decided to put that panel in place. No need to move the sink drain, just a small notch on the left side of the drawer and it will slide just fine. I will send pics when install.

Still looking at a rolling cart. I have seen cherry wood carts, 18" counter works but they are all long up to 50". So our options either custom made by a kitchen shop, keep looking or don't be so picky and find a non-cherry wood smaller cart.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 AM   #19
jje1960

Drawer

Quote:
Good point about the loft and plastic bins. Good spot for seasonal clothing or what have you...

I just ordered an entire an additional drawer for the kitchen this week....

Still looking at a rolling cart......
Where did you order the drawer? This is a great idea, in fact, putting a piece of thin cutting board into the drawer, flush with the top edge sounds like what we need. Will drill a finger hole allowing removal when needing to lift the board and get to things in the drawer.

I also love the rolling cart idea, going to start looking for one of those. Plenty of room in that cabin in front of the oven door, however being able to roll out of the way sounds like the ticket!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #20
jje1960

Rolling cabinet

Found a nice rolling cabinet, not cherry however looks like nice unit, should be here in a week or so. Also, the other attached pic is of a bay door covering on the THT unit, I'm looking for something similar to cover ours. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rollingcab.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	236   Click image for larger version

Name:	doorcovr.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	237  
Closed Thread