Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
ocho

Heads up folks!! I just found a serious suspension fault!!

I started a thread in Tires, Tires, Tires because of my second blowout. This last blowout did some minor damage. The separated ply tore up the plastic sheathing, (which I found out is basically silt fencing), and pulled out some insulation on top of the right front tire. I jacked up that one axle, removed the tire, and viola!! I couldn't believe what I saw!! On the opposing axles I saw this!! How did this happen? And more importantly, WHEN did this happen? Naturally im a bit pissed because this a 2011 300 MP with low miles, AND I just got off the phone with Keystone a couple weeks ago, for the second time, trying to figure out why im blowing tires, listening to their fuzzy math about how a trailer certified to gross out at 16,500 lbs. can run around on 7000lb axles. I know, I know, tongue weight subtraction.

I have a certified weigh station 6 miles from my house and its on the way out of town. I ALWAYS stop there to weigh my rig in whatever configuration it happens to be in at that time and have always been under any of the weight limitations that exist. And there are a few of them.

This to me, and Im no engineer, is clearly too light a suspension for the job. If you look closely at the following pics you'll see there bushings in both the leaf springs rubber bushings, and the buckle holes that accept the leaf spring mounting bolts. And you cant lube these!! So its metal on metal, or whatever the bushings are made of. Smart!!

A buddy and I fabricated two new hangers last night out of plate steel to get the suspension right so I could move it. The following pics are as follows. The broken hangers are obvious. The other two hangers are from the rear axles. You can see how disfigured they are. Then the bushings in the leafs and buckles are clearly worn out as well and its just two years old!! Amazing!!

You bet ill be making a call to Keystone on Monday to start what will likely be a day of finger pointing!! More than likely by end the day feeling like this guy!! But maybe not. Maybe they will volunteer to fix it!!

Has anyone run across this? What was the remedy? If you have a similar suspension setup, Id be seriously concerned!! And they all have a similar setup!!

Heres the rest of the pics!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00235.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	5238   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00236.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	5239   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00237.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	5240   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00240.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	5243   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00239.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	5244  

ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The bushings are plastic and rarely make it past 5000mi.. Replacing them with bronze bushings and greaseable (wet bolts) bolts and aftermarket shackles (I recommend Dexter kits) is a must do mod. If you search the forum there are many threads on replacement. Welcome to the world of RV maintenance, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

When we bought our Cougar in '08, those suspension components all needed replacing after the first year. The plastic bushings had all but worn through; and the holes, instead of being round were oval-shaped. It was, as you said, metal on metal. I got bronze bushings, wet bolts and much heavier, thicker shackles. As Hank mentioned in his post, " a must do mod".
The remedy for this is to keep a very close eye on the suspension components, inspect them and count on replacing them sooner rather than later.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Bluewater

Hank is right. Welcome to the rv world of "frequent" maintance". Last summer I replaced the spring bushings on mine and found a couple broken parts....just in time. You should have inspected them a liittle sooner I'd say. Doubt Keystone will do much for you as this is a maintance item but good luck..who knows.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
ocho

Thanks all for the input. Ill def be getting the aftermarket set up. Who makes them? But it can hardly be considered a maintenance item. With no way to maintain these things. Its more of a run till they break and hope it doesnt leave stranded.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
mpd2001

kit

Dexter makes a nice wet bolt kit that comes with brass bushings and wet bolts so you will be able to maintain them in the future. They also come with a much heavier shackle. I have an 09 300mp. I did the upgrade last year when I took it apart mine were shot as well. I got mine here www.nickstruckparts.com
mpd2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd2001 View Post
Dexter makes a nice wet bolt kit that comes with brass bushings and wet bolts so you will be able to maintain them in the future. They also come with a much heavier shackle. I have an 09 300mp. I did the upgrade last year when I took it apart mine were shot as well. I got mine here www.nickstruckparts.com
Thanks. Ill get me some
Old 03-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
abneynormal

ok here ya go

heres the deal with your system. I see some saying dexter. well that is fine if you can sacrifice 1.5 inches of ride height?? you have a equaflex 5-8000 lb hangar that looks good. now I would order either a morryde heavy hanger and bushing wet bolt kit plus the bolts to wet bolt your equaflex. yes you can or if you must lippert has a heavy shackle kit plus all the wet bolts (NOTE: dealing with lippert can make you want to choke them. I would recommend nicks truck parts like above or some other parts dealer). be sure to measure your shackle length. now I did videos no. 3 has the equaflex on my 3 axle set

Old 03-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
heres the deal with your system. I see some saying dexter. well that is fine if you can sacrifice 1.5 inches of ride height?? you have a equaflex 5-8000 lb hangar that looks good. now I would order either a morryde heavy hanger and bushing wet bolt kit plus the bolts to wet bolt your equaflex. yes you can or if you must lippert has a heavy shackle kit plus all the wet bolts (NOTE: dealing with lippert can make you want to choke them. I would recommend nicks truck parts like above or some other parts dealer). be sure to measure your shackle length. now I did videos no. 3 has the equaflex on my 3 axle set

I have two 7000 lb axles on my 5'er. And I cant afford any less tire clearance. And I agree, Lippert for the most part sucks!!
Old 03-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:

I don't see how Dexter bushings and wetbolts would loose ANY height????
From the photos the equalizer looked fine .... changing that part MAY loose some height but only in some applications and they would be mentioned up front.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:55 AM   #11
mpd2001

Quote:

When I did mine I had the equaflex on mine but I went with the complete dexter kit with the ez-flex equalizers which you can grease and I did not loose any ride height. Why would you?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #12
ocho

Nicks mentions a 33 and 35" axle. What does that mean. The length of the leaf springs? Also, what exactly do i need to know to get the right kit? Thanks again
Old 03-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #13
canesfan

ocho, after reading about them I believe that is the axle spacing. As for the rest I would like to know also.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
mpd2001

measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho View Post
Nicks mentions a 33 and 35" axle. What does that mean. The length of the leaf springs? Also, what exactly do i need to know to get the right kit? Thanks again
you need to measure axles center to center for your spacing
Old 03-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #15
Bob Landry

OK, this one really got my interest. How do I go about finding out what I need to do this on my 2011 Outback?

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Bob -
If I remember correctly, Hankpage did a re-install and submitted a post quite some time ago - complete with pics. Off hand, I can't locate the darn post but hopefully he will see this and come to your rescue. Failing that, try sending him a PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
cabinfever

That is why I like PA annual trailer inspection. That same part wore out on my work trailer, 7K gross 7x16 enclosed. Took 4 years but the trailers average loaded weight is only about 4K.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #18
mguay

I did mine last fall for the second time in 4 seasons. After the first season I got a wet bolt kit and bronze bushings from TrailAir (before Lippert ate them up). Last fall during my annual inspection I found both of my EquaFlex's were cracked in several places, the bronze bushings were smoked and the shackles were starting to oblong. This time I replaced the whole thing with a Heavy Duty EzFlex kit from Dexter. It cost me $150 delivered and tightened the whole thing up. While I was there I replaced the springs as well. I have a super slide on one side with no opposing slide and it was listing.

note: There are two shackle lengths...measure yours before ordering!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #19
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Bob -
If I remember correctly, Hankpage did a re-install and submitted a post quite some time ago - complete with pics. Off hand, I can't locate the darn post but hopefully he will see this and come to your rescue. Failing that, try sending him a PM.
Festus2, We both must be getting old .... It took me a while to find it too.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...highlight=Flex
I just inspected and greased mine last week and ready for another season.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #20
Wing-in-it

I tell you this is more than just maintenance. this should be brought to the attention of NHTSA. Very un-cool! It's time these companies take responsibility for their unsafe equipment.

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote