Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
footdoc

Potable Water drain location 2002 32TKB?

I have a new to me, 2002 Challenger 32TKB 5th wheel with a sealed under carriage. Only the Low point drains are visible. Before i go cutting randomly into the under cover to find the potable water drain valve, does anyone out there know where it is? i would like to limit the amount of cutting.
Also, once cut into how do you folks reseal the opening?
Finally, where is the water pump on this unit? i can hear it but it seems hidden somewhere.
Any help is welcome ... many thanks
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
f6bits

Gorilla Tape is good for taping up the underbelly cuts.

Spend some time trying to track down that water pump. The fresh water drain should be very close to the pump. On a travel trailer, the fresh water tank, pump, and drain are very close to the fresh water fillup opening. Maybe a fiver is the same way.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Typically, the fill hatch for the fresh water tank is located within just a couple of feet of the tank itself. The drain will typically be directly under the fresh water tank. On some models, it will be a single PEX tube sticking straight down with a cap on it. On others, it may be a valve on the lower outside wall of the trailer or underneath somewhere close. But always very, very close to the tank itself.

On my trailer, the pump is located nearly 15 feet away from the fresh water tank, so proximity between the pump and tank is not a given.

There are already a number of threads here on what the drains look like and how to seal up the coroplast if you have to cut into it.

IMHO, it is very unlikely that you will have to cut into the underbelly to expose the drain on the fresh water tank. It is already there, visible to the eye. It has to be because it is an absolute necessity to drain the tank in the fall when winterizing.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
popsday

Water pump

I have a 2001 Challenger 32TKB and the water pump is under the sink to the right you may hafto remove a pannel to get to it but the pump and most of the water lines are there, hope this helps BOB
popsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
footdoc

Found it!

thanks to all. The water pump was in the main center storage area behind a panel and the drain (surprisingly small) was exposed and close to a wheel.... i just had to look a bit harder and crawl around under there... i am going to put my knife away.....thank goodness.
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
bgreer

Hi guys, glad I found this forum....got Question...is there a valve for the fresh water holding tank, and where is it located?
bgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

bgreer, Not clear what you are looking for and on what type of trailer ..... a drain or a fill???? The Fill is a port on the side of the trailer to pour water in (No valve) the drain is usually just a tube sticking out the bottom of the trailer with a cap screwed on. (as mentioned above there may be a valve installed here or the tube is routed to the outside wall were a drain valve is mounted)
Most of this was covered in other posts on this thread.

Some new trailers the fill is incorporated into the city water feed.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
bgreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
bgreer, Not clear what you are looking for and on what type of trailer ..... a drain or a fill???? The Fill is a port on the side of the trailer to pour water in (No valve) the drain is usually just a tube sticking out the bottom of the trailer with a cap screwed on. (as mentioned above there may be a valve installed here or the tube is routed to the outside wall were a drain valve is mounted)
Most of this was covered in other posts on this thread.

Some new trailers the fill is incorporated into the city water feed.
Sorry, I have a 2002 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel...I know where the fill is and the drain...but I can't get water to the pump...there is a short clear hose with a valve just before the pump, and I assume this is for priming the pump...my question is "Is there a valve to allow water to the pump from the holding tank" ? I'm currently in Warren, Pa and the wter supply to the park is off for the winter, so the owner comes around every couple of days to fill the fresh water tank. I have owned the rv for 3 yrs. and never used the fresh water tank or pump...the pump will run but as yet have no water pumping through it...I am reluctant to allow the pump to run for long dry...tried priming it with out much luck...failing to find a valve I will restart the pump and try again
Old 02-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreer View Post
Sorry, I have a 2002 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel...I know where the fill is and the drain...but I can't get water to the pump...there is a short clear hose with a valve just before the pump, and I assume this is for priming the pump...my question is "Is there a valve to allow water to the pump from the holding tank" ? I'm currently in Warren, Pa and the wter supply to the park is off for the winter, so the owner comes around every couple of days to fill the fresh water tank. I have owned the rv for 3 yrs. and never used the fresh water tank or pump...the pump will run but as yet have no water pumping through it...I am reluctant to allow the pump to run for long dry...tried priming it with out much luck...failing to find a valve I will restart the pump and try again
That valve is most likely for winterizing and was left in the "Winterize" position. Turning it ¼ turn should allow water to the pump from the FW tank or city water supply. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
bgreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
That valve is most likely for winterizing and was left in the "Winterize" position. Turning it ¼ turn should allow water to the pump from the FW tank or city water supply. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum, Hank
Are you speaking of the valve at the clear hose by the pump? It was in a position to allow water to the pump. Since I have have used water from outside source every time I've used the rv, I don't think the position of this valve will change the direction of flow. My thought now is that the line from FW tank is frozen. I have a heat lamp on it now and will try in the am. And thank you for the response
Old 02-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreer View Post
Are you speaking of the valve at the clear hose by the pump? It was in a position to allow water to the pump. Since I have have used water from outside source every time I've used the rv, I don't think the position of this valve will change the direction of flow. My thought now is that the line from FW tank is frozen. I have a heat lamp on it now and will try in the am. And thank you for the response
Was your water pump working prior to this problem? I had the impression from your initial post that you were trying to resolve a problem in a system that you hadn't tried before as you were using the city water supply. If you've been on your water pump consistently and this just happened, then you may be correct, this could be a frozen supply line from the tank. But, if you have been using city water and just tried your water pump and found it isn't drawing water from the tank, it's probably either the valve or an air leak in the supply hose connection. If the pump hasn't been used recently and the RV was winterized, that supply line would not have water in it to freeze.

So, with that in mind, if your RV was winterized, that valve was turned to pull antifreeze into the pump to displace water through your hot and cold plumbing. It is usually left in the "winterize position" until spring. So, it would not pull water into the pump until it is changed back to the correct position. It would have no impact on whether city water flows through the plumbing, it bypasses the pump and that valve when connected to a hose from the outside.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:40 AM   #12
bgreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Was your water pump working prior to this problem? I had the impression from your initial post that you were trying to resolve a problem in a system that you hadn't tried before as you were using the city water supply. If you've been on your water pump consistently and this just happened, then you may be correct, this could be a frozen supply line from the tank. But, if you have been using city water and just tried your water pump and found it isn't drawing water from the tank, it's probably either the valve or an air leak in the supply hose connection. If the pump hasn't been used recently and the RV was winterized, that supply line would not have water in it to freeze.

So, with that in mind, if your RV was winterized, that valve was turned to pull antifreeze into the pump to displace water through your hot and cold plumbing. It is usually left in the "winterize position" until spring. So, it would not pull water into the pump until it is changed back to the correct position. It would have no impact on whether city water flows through the plumbing, it bypasses the pump and that valve when connected to a hose from the outside.
I have never used the water pump or fw supply, always used City water. I also didn't winterize the fw tank and am not sure if there was not some residual water in it, which may or may not have froze. This is my 1st rv and I have made alot of mistakes learning everything by trial and error. No owners manual. So, what I'm getting from your post is that the clear hose near the pump, which I believed to be for priming is actually for putting anti freeze into the system, right? I blew out my city water system with a small amount of air, 40psi, prior to making this trip, as recommended by a tech who worked on my furnace, replacing burner and igniter. So if City Water does not go through the pump there must be a bypass. Thats what I need to locate
Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

The city water goes straight into the plumbing (there is no bypass) the pump pulls water from the tank and "Tees" into the city water supply line. There is a backflow valve in the city water inlet fitting on the side of the RV that prevents water from flowing out (backwards) when you turn on the pump. The 1/4 turn valve that Hank and I are talking about is connected to the pump inlet port. In one position it draws water from the tank. In the other position it draws from the attached clear hose. That clear hose is intended to be inserted into an antifreeze jug so you can draw antifreeze into the pump and winterize the plumbing.

If you've never used your water pump, I'd say turn that valve to the "other position" and you'll probably pull water from your tank. If you don't, then check for air leaks in all the connections you can see. A very small air leak can prevent the pump from priming. However, if it's never been used, the very first thing I would do is turn the valve to the other position and turn on the pump.

Download the owner's manual here: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s.../owners-manual

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #14
bgreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The city water goes straight into the plumbing (there is no bypass) the pump pulls water from the tank and "Tees" into the city water supply line. There is a backflow valve in the city water inlet fitting on the side of the RV that prevents water from flowing out (backwards) when you turn on the pump. The 1/4 turn valve that Hank and I are talking about is connected to the pump inlet port. In one position it draws water from the tank. In the other position it draws from the attached clear hose. That clear hose is intended to be inserted into an antifreeze jug so you can draw antifreeze into the pump and winterize the plumbing.

If you've never used your water pump, I'd say turn that valve to the "other position" and you'll probably pull water from your tank. If you don't, then check for air leaks in all the connections you can see. A very small air leak can prevent the pump from priming. However, if it's never been used, the very first thing I would do is turn the valve to the other position and turn on the pump.

Download the owner's manual here: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s.../owners-manual
Thanks, I got it now, I really appreciate all the help
Old 03-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Let us know how it turns out.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-02-2014, 02:19 AM   #16
abneynormal

the valve

I had a problem wit mine right off the bat. keystone mislabeled my winterize valve. idk if you have one labeled pump/ winterize but it wouldn't hurt to flip it and check. I kept trying to get water out of the pump and burnt it up due to keystones mess up. I would turn the valve to see what it does.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:21 AM   #17
bgreer

All is well, water is flowing. The lines were frozen. The heat lamps I placed worked. I know now, thanks to you guys to winterize the Fw holding system and the City water. Again Thank you