Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2024, 01:23 PM   #1
JCampbell

Keystone 5th wheel cougar 2016: Door lock

I'm looking for a new door lock that is able to replace my old FIC by FAC lock.

Can I use any universal lock to replace it ?
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 01:27 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Even door locks in that era are fairly universal. Class A and C may be different.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 04:27 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCampbell View Post

You might want to take a picture of your lock and post it as the model/manufacturer are not familiar. I replaced my door lock some time ago and it is not difficult.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 04:39 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCampbell View Post

In the 2015/2016 time frame, FIC had a recall on almost all of their RV locksets. That created a shortage throughout the industry and many of the RV manufacturers turned to European style RV locksets. They are not the same size as the "old style FIC locksets" and the two are not interchangeable.

To make it even more confusing, many of the "Italian locks" were rebranded and sold as a "FIC lock" or as a "FIC compatible lock"... Unfortunately, more than a few 2016/2017 Keystone RV doors were built with cutouts for the taller "Italian locks" and trying to find a replacement now is "nearly an impossible task"....

So, measure the width/height of your current lock cutout hole and go from there. It's not just a "FIC/FAC changeout" for somewhere around half of the trailers from that era.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 04:51 PM   #5
bobbecky

Our FIC (Fastec Industrial Corp) lock assembly broke several years ago and we were able to find a Trimark lock assembly to replace it with. The inside potmetal handle broke on the Fastec lock. I have read that the same thing has also happened with the Trimark locks. The Fastec locks had a bad design and there was a recall years ago, with people getting locked inside and couldn't get out when one of them had locked the door from the outside. Replacing one brand with the other was pretty easy.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:55 PM   #6
Racerzl1

Replace it with an electronic keypad style lock. I love mine.
Old 01-20-2024, 08:53 AM   #7
Stircrazy

I had to find a replacement under warranty for mine. Apparently in 2016 they were a one off in design and door cut out so the dealer told me if it went again, they would likely have to order a new door with a newer cut out. whether that is really true that you would need a new door if you can't find an original, I am not sure.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 09:39 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
I had to find a replacement under warranty for mine. Apparently in 2016 they were a one off in design and door cut out so the dealer told me if it went again, they would likely have to order a new door with a newer cut out. whether that is really true that you would need a new door if you can't find an original, I am not sure.
Two pieces of 1/8" aluminum (6x8 inches if I remember correctly) spray painted to match the door exterior and interior, with a newly configured cutout to fit the new lock size will "retrofit" any door to any lock. Just put sikaflex clear adhesive around the perimeter of the aluminum skins, put in place and secure the new lock through the cutout.

Your dealer is taking the "most profit for himself" as the only way out..... There are alternatives and frankly, I don't understand why CAMCO or REC-PRO hasn't already started marketing a "RV Lock Retrofit Kit"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-21-2024, 05:38 AM   #9
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Two pieces of 1/8" aluminum (6x8 inches if I remember correctly) spray painted to match the door exterior and interior, with a newly configured cutout to fit the new lock size will "retrofit" any door to any lock. Just put sikaflex clear adhesive around the perimeter of the aluminum skins, put in place and secure the new lock through the cutout.

Your dealer is taking the "most profit for himself" as the only way out..... There are alternatives and frankly, I don't understand why CAMCO or REC-PRO hasn't already started marketing a "RV Lock Retrofit Kit"....
would it look like it was patched if you did it that way, I wonder if they were looking at aesthetics more than profit. ya they would make some money off the new door, probably too much haha, but it would be minimal labor, to me it seems cutting, painting, cutting out and gluing banks would be more labour wise.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:49 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
would it look like it was patched if you did it that way, I wonder if they were looking at aesthetics more than profit. ya they would make some money off the new door, probably too much haha, but it would be minimal labor, to me it seems cutting, painting, cutting out and gluing banks would be more labour wise.
Yes, it does look like a "patch", but only if you're looking critically at the door. To a "casual observer" it doesn't look any different than the 5" ring used to install a Marinco shore power conversion plug. I've done 2 for neighbors. The first wanted me to paint the exterior skin to match the lock, not the trailer door. The second preferred the skin to match the door. To me, with rounded corners on the skin, cut to match the contours of the new lock and then painted to match its surroundings, it doesn't stand our like a "raw aluminum skin" would.

My opinion, it doesn't "uglify" the lock installation. Certainly it's no worse looking than the faded front paint or decals. On a "brand new trailer" I'd possibly opt for a new door if someone else is paying for it (warranty, etc) but a new door assembly (exterior door, frame and screen) runs close to $700-900 plus shipping, then with labor to remove/install, you're talking about close to $1000-1200 for a dealer to replace the front entry door, possibly more if the trailer has the "fold down steps to reinstall".

Plus, if the old door is functional and not leaking, the risk of introducing a leak or a mis-aligned door can increase the risk of a bad outcome.

Certainly a "patch job" that may be noticeable but otherwise is functional" may not be the choice of everyone, but at today's RV repair prices, using an alternative to the new door can be a very workable solution for some, maybe many RV owners...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-22-2024, 05:24 AM   #11
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
a new door assembly (exterior door, frame and screen) runs close to $700-900 plus shipping, then with labor to remove/install, you're talking about close to $1000-1200 for a dealer to replace the front entry door, possibly more if the trailer has the "fold down steps to reinstall".
ahh ok, they made it sound like they were just getting the door itself not the frame and everything, so I figured they would flip the hinges over and bolt it in
Old 01-22-2024, 06:58 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
ahh ok, they made it sound like they were just getting the door itself not the frame and everything, so I figured they would flip the hinges over and bolt it in
Get EVERY FACT from the dealership as to EXACTLY what they plan to replace !!!!!

Looking at available parts today from 2 suppliers, door assemblies for "Cougar West models" are available. None are available for East models. That doesn't mean there's not one gathering dust in a warehouse, but.....

Every couple of years, Keystone changes FILON color, trim color, decal location on most of their Cougar line. My 2014 has a 26x72" entry door. It's Artic white with artic white frame trim. The 2015 has white with black trim. The 2016 half ton fifth wheel is white, and subsequent years things change even more regularly. Some of those years have tan or gray FILON siding/entry door colors with trim color that changes from year to year .

Point is that most supply houses can't possibly keep up with all the various model year changes and keep those things in stock. In the RV business, most manufacturers maintain stock parts for the "warranty period" then sell them to salvage dealers because there's just not enough buildings in Goshen to store all that back stock....

So, on a 9 year old 2016 Cougar, finding a "door assembly that matches your trailer" is going to be a difficult task. Finding a complete door assembly in an aftermarket part, then painting the FILON or the frame to match your trailer is often the preferred route....

Then they've got to find decals that match your trailer's decal placement and even then, they won't be "properly sun faded" so they blend in. Now, that's a cosmetic issue, very similar to looking at a used truck where the door doesn't match the fender.... Was it wrecked? was it repainted? why doesn't it match?

Those issues can make a "door replacement" expensive and the door still sticks out like a "sore thumb".....

Often, just painting that "scab patch to cover the lockset hole" gives a much less noticeable repair.

All that said, your dealer may have a door sitting in their warehouse that "perfectly matches your 9 year old trailer".... So, ask the questions, be sure you KNOW EXACTLY what they plan to do. Don't get stuck with a $1k bill and a door that doesn't match with decals at aren't even close to the rest of the trailer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-29-2024, 09:35 AM   #13
Stircrazy

totally makes sense, when it was an issue with mine it was only 1 year old, it went through three locks in 4 months, but the 3rd has lasted 7 years now and shows no sign of issues. so, the 5th wheel was only 1 year old when they were going to replace the door if it went again. black frame tan door

Tags
5th wheel, cougar, keystone