Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2024, 01:48 PM   #1
larsb

Angry Cougar 5th wheel 23MLE

I bought a new Cougar 5th wheel MLE on August 1, 2023. So far I have had the door one the fridge replaced because of a flaw. The main slide operation had to be totally replaced since one of the brackets pulled out of the wall while trying to open it. It also tore the slide roof so that had to be replaced. I was just going to pick it up at Camping World after 3 months and was told that the bedroom slide came out on one side about an inch then quit working. I have only camped twice since I bought it for a total of 10 days. I am a little concerned about all these problems since it is a brand new trailer. I hope it isn't just the start of many more issues. It is only warranted for one years. Anyone else had these kind of problems.
larsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:44 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Sorry to hear about your issues. Hopefully CW will get them sorted.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 05:04 PM   #3
P&D

Sorry to hear this. I too just purchased a 2024 cougar 23mle in Oct. Not from CW. We have not even used it yet, so I will be keeping an eye on this thread. I hope you get it all fixed and it works correctly.
P&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 08:23 PM   #4
martybmw

My experience with Camping World (Valencia CA) couldn't have been worse! My suggestion is keep email trail and start a record with Marcus (not
that they were any help). Maybe thinks are better with Camping World as the market has has dropped into barely any sales.
martybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:18 AM   #5
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by martybmw View Post
My experience with Camping World (Valencia CA) couldn't have been worse! My suggestion is keep email trail and start a record with Marcus (not
that they were any help). Maybe thinks are better with Camping World as the market has has dropped into barely any sales.
My trailers (2) have been bought with CW. Over the 3 years I've found turnover to be a problem with service people but overall the real problems have been fixed by them quickly...with a lot/long back/forth with Keystone. I have found the following (not to say some of these problems could be performed on your own):

A - most I fix on my own as I may find it on our 'pre-trip checkout' and I'm pulling out the driveway the end of the week.

B - something that happens on the trip of needs Keystone to at least review...
1. Figure out the root cause of the problem.
2. Never leave the trailer at the dealer for diagnosis. Make an appointment and physically wait for it to be performed. They now will not shoo my away when doing this as I've added value.
3. Let them document the warrantee work/problem.
4. Discuss a temp remedy.
5. I perform the temp remedy.
6. Bring the trailer in for the day of final repair/warrantee work.

I will NEVER bring my trailer in with a problem and leave it there until it is fixed. I did this once since we were not going to use it for a while it was the worse mistake.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 06:59 PM   #6
cougar23

We have a Keystone Cougar 23MLE also and so far has been very worry free. Only issue was I had them [Camping World] replace the tankless water heater with a conventual gas/elect. heater. The mechanic did not plumb the water lines correctly and the service manager tried to up my bill by 25%. He failed!
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:23 PM   #7
larsb

Hot water tank

Were did they put your new water heater in your 23mle, I am considering this change since the tankless takes almost a minute and half to get y to I the kitchen sink.
larsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 06:04 AM   #8
cougar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsb View Post
Were did they put your new water heater in your 23mle, I am considering this change since the tankless takes almost a minute and half to get y to I the kitchen sink.
They put the gas/elect. heater in the same place as the tankless was. Mechanic said it was an easy exchange. Hardest issue was running wires to the switches he installed above the In-Command display and to the fuse panel.
If you have this done , make sure they plumb the water lines with bypass valve for winterizing. They did not do this on mine and I had to do it myself.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:45 AM   #9
GLindsey

We bought our Cougar 5th wheel from CW Bakersfield. Luckily i have found a service rep that is good at his job and has made sure our trailer issues are fixed. So far we have only had leaks and some inside maintenance items.
GLindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:17 AM   #10
DebGot

Why did you not like the on demand water heater
DebGot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:51 AM   #11
cougar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebGot View Post
Why did you not like the on demand water heater
Unless you left the hot water run constantly you got a large shot of cold water when you turned it back on. Letting the hot water run constantly would fill your grey water tank unless you were connected to park sewer. Would also deplete your fresh water supply if boondocking.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:55 AM   #12
DebGot

Thanks gif the info Our motor home did that too was hoping it had been improved
DebGot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:56 PM   #13
dutchmensport

Yes, yours is a pretty "typical" new RV owner experience. But, you will eventually get all those bugs worked out. In our first year of ownership of our Montana High Country Fifth Wheel, we had 80 different issues. Some were pretty serious, others were minor. After about the 4th time in the shop for warranty, I finally started fixing things myself.

But, the fixes never stop. These campers take a horrid beating bouncing down the road in hurricane force winds and 10.0 earth quakes beating them up pounding down the road. It's a wonder they don't just break in half!

Keep a slush fund specific for your RV repairs. And watch lots and lots of YouTube videos how to fix yourself problems that happen. It will save you time, and labor costs, and you'll have the satisfaction knowing the problem was fixed correctly.

Good luck. You are NOT alone on this one! We ALL understand 100% completely!

Tags
5th wheel, cougar