Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
JJaxon

2 5/16 ball, is there a difference?

My recent purchase of an 18' Carbon 347 has me shopping for many things. A new truck (3500), a hitch (Andersen Ultimate), and a ball for the factory puck already installed in my 2500.

Does anyone know of a difference in height for this ball? Do they make a different length to adjust for bedrail height, or does that matter with an Andersen Ultimate?

My 2500 has 20" wheels and is a tall truck at the tail gate. Can this be compensated for by using a taller or shorter ball in the bed to level the Carbon?

Anyone else using the Andersen Ultimate in a tall truck, please share your experiences.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
My recent purchase of an 18' Carbon 347 has me shopping for many things. A new truck (3500), a hitch (Andersen Ultimate), and a ball for the factory puck already installed in my 2500.

Does anyone know of a difference in height for this ball? Do they make a different length to adjust for bedrail height, or does that matter with an Andersen Ultimate?

My 2500 has 20" wheels and is a tall truck at the tail gate. Can this be compensated for by using a taller or shorter ball in the bed to level the Carbon?

Anyone else using the Andersen Ultimate in a tall truck, please share your experiences.
I don’t know much about the Anderson hutch, but do know the Curt Ball is taller. Saw a video on YouTube with a guy using the Curt ball. I will be going with a Goose Box when I get a Dually, so the Curt Ball will get the trailer “higher”
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:52 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I think first you'd need to determine the shank (threaded part) length and width, then limit your search for balls that have that size shank. Curt has 2 5/16" balls with shoulders in different heights. More important that the height of the shoulder is the ball weight rating. You can find 2 5/16" balls rated with different weights. Some are only rated to carry 6,000 lbs while some are rated to carry 20,000 lbs, so make sure, if you decide to replace the ball, to get one with the proper size shank and the proper (adequate) weight rating, regardless of how tall the shoulder might be.
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:00 AM   #4
Tinner12002

I bought the Curt #60618 kit for my Ram, 7500lb max pin weight and 30K pull weight max.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:21 AM   #5
Racebug

ball height wont make any difference. height is determined by the frame of the Anderson hitch. you can adjust your pinbox but that is about it.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
JJaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think first you'd need to determine the shank (threaded part) length and width, then limit your search for balls that have that size shank. Curt has 2 5/16" balls with shoulders in different heights. More important that the height of the shoulder is the ball weight rating. You can find 2 5/16" balls rated with different weights. Some are only rated to carry 6,000 lbs while some are rated to carry 20,000 lbs, so make sure, if you decide to replace the ball, to get one with the proper size shank and the proper (adequate) weight rating, regardless of how tall the shoulder might be.
The drop in ball is not threaded. Those are the bumper pull hitch type as far as I can tell. Drop in have a release mechanism within for quick mounting. I have no actual experience using one, but going by the pics and videos online I've never seen a threaded shank installed in the bed of the truck.

The weight ratings do vary I've noticed. Not sure why that is though.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote