Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
Beachnut

Leaf Spring / suspension questions

Hello all, long time no post!

So we are starting to take L-O-N-Ger trips with our 2010 Outback 230RS. We usually stay pretty local, traveling under 200 miles one way on our previous 64 camping trips, and 438 days of camping in this trailer. But now were heading out on another 2700+ mile trip this spring. This trailer is a toy hauler, so it has a beefier suspension to potentially haul 1200+ pounds of toys. But we purchased it as we really liked the fact it is a "2 bedroom" trailer so we each have a ready made bed. But it has always been towed lighter than its potential.

I have visually inspected the suspension, and there are no cracks, no separation between leaf's, Shackles are ridged in place, no visual elongation - anywhere. Everything has a surface rust, but that is expected as our favorite campground is Emma Woods S.P. where you park 20-30' from crashing ocean waves! I have serviced the axle bearings, brakes are still good, new tires, and lots of other maint. items on this trailer.

My question is how far / long will the stock leaf springs / suspension. go and last? I mean is this something that needs much attention, or are they like my old 50 year old classic car - leaf springs lasted forever?

Thank you for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180813_111349885.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	19854  
Beachnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
bobbecky

We had a leaf spring break a couple years ago, so I guess its just one of those unknown things. They use Chinese springs on most of these rigs, so I'm going to say maybe they aren't as high quality as a 50 year old classic American made car. I read a while back that someone posted that they were able to get American made spring packs for their rig after they had one of the original packs break, but don't remember what the company was.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
retiredusps69

Seeing you say you run light maybe you could buy a new one and carry it with you.At least if you break one you will have it and be able to get it swapped out easier.
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:00 AM   #4
Brentw

I've drug some type of trailer around for a long time, changed out very few spring packs because of cracked springs, have changed a couple due to fatigue and sagging. Springs are generally a long life item assuming decent care, overloading, high speed on rough roads will reduce that. Your wear items are bushings on eyes, shackles and bolts. Keep an eye on stuff, visual checks when ever you do walk around, look for cracks along spring, elongated wear marks at shackle bolts, clunks and snaps when making turns.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #5
ChuckS

Looking at your picture I can not see any evidence of lubrication on those bolts... I’d be repacking the bolts and bushings with wet bolt style and bronze bushings pretty darn soon...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Looking at your picture I can not see any evidence of lubrication on those bolts... I’d be repacking the bolts and bushings with wet bolt style and bronze bushings pretty darn soon...
Mor Ryde heavy shackle/wet bolt kit needs to be installed yesterday by the looks of it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

When you see pitting in steel, it may indicate that the steel is also crystalized and new suspension stuff might be a good idea especially if you have gotten it in your head a bit. Peace of mind is more likely with better quality stuff that can be lubed.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
Beachnut

Thank you ALL so much for the Great input! We were away on a vacation so sorry for the long delay on no reply! Our desire would be to replace the trailer - hopefully in the not to distant future so I am hesitant to put more money into "preventative maintenance"... I think we will just run it, as is, and pray all stays Swell!
Beachnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
jforrest

Those shackles should have grease certs on them.
jforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
Bostongone

Beachnut, I would go back and check the lower end of the left shackle you pictured. It could be camera angle but it seems that this bolt head is closer to the shackle end than the others and I think I see a rust “shadow” of the bolt head where it moved from it’s original position? If my suspicions are correct then wet bolt replacements would be a great idea. May require some disassembly to verify!