Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
RV Driver Ed

Alpine 5th Wheel, Oxygen Concentrator Power Solutions

Hello to readers of this thread, My purpose of this thread is for any readers that has any suggestions that could make for a smoother week-end.

I have a family member that is on an Oxygen Concentrator Constant (412 Watts in full operation mode) flow which requires either constant electric power to operate or O2 bottles and having to change them out. My 5th wheel is parked in a great spot that I have no intention of leaving the spot. Its on a seasonal site for the time being. Ride to get there 2 1/2 to 3 hours one way. I try to go every other week end. Only having a 4 cylinder SUV to travel back and fourth. My plan is this.

I have a Xantrex Power Pack 1500 + 1 additional 12 volt battery connected to the unit. Unit is also connected to 12 volt cig. lighter while in operation. I have been told that I should get about 2 1/2 hours of 120 volt power from this hook up and with probably one small o2 bottle for purpose of having to stop if necessary I should be able to get to location and return home with the same formula. While at campground I will have electrical power to operate the O2 concentrator and also recharge the battery and the 1500 power pack. As a back up at the camper I have 2 batteries with my 12 volt system and 140 watts of solar power. The solar power could also recharge the battery in the car and or the power pack 1500 if necessary if there was to be a power failure while at the campground. If one would occur I would have atlas an hour to get a head start to pack the car back up and leave if power became a real issue and no back up generator near by. I intend to also have extra o2 bottles with me as my back up plan.

The type of o2 units that provide interment type of oxygen are not an option, I have that type of equipment and it no longer is an option.

Any suggestions for more electrical power would be helpful. I plan to purchase an inverter for at the campground for additional back up juice.

Thanks in advance.

2013 F150 Crew Cab, to go shopping and site seeing for now, how do you start one of those go fund me pages? #Ed's New Truck, Ha, Ha.
RV Driver Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #2
ChuckS

Why not just buy a small generator to provide AC power if an outage occurred. It would also charge the house batteries.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:06 AM   #3
notanlines

Your overall plans, back-up plans, plans for the back-up plans and bailing out plans are as convoluted as any since the Bay of Pigs in 1961. Way too many complications in my mind. I would start with Chuck's idea and go from there. And in my mind that solar needs to be taken out of the equation. YMMV.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:46 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I'd go with the small generator as option 1 and an extra tank or 2 that does not require electric as option 2 (in case you run out of gas for generator). Beyond that, I'd simlly pack the concentrator and the concentratee in the SUV and head someplace close to access a working electric plug. This would be temporary, of course until things return to normal.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, alpine, power