Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
linux3

Husky Spring bars question.

When I bought our TT the dealer installed a Husky Centerline TS WDH.
After a trip or 2 I totally reset the hitch based on a work sheet from Husky.
I never saw a label for the weight rating of the spring bars and frankly didn't give it a thought. I was under the impression that the round bar came in 600 lbs rating and up.

While spring cleaning I found the rating for my bars 400 - 600 lbs stamped into the flats of the round bars.

Dry weight of my TT was listed at 3750 lbs +- and one time when leaving for a month long trip I stopped at a local metal scrap yard and had the TT weighed, ~4500 lbs.

So, I'm pretty close to that 600 lbs rating. This was with empty tanks all around. Since that weigh-in I now generally put around 15 gallons or so of fresh water in the tank as it's near the front of the TT and makes it more stable. Most of the storage is behind the axles so a little nose weight is good.

But, I've never weighed the actual tongue weight. The dealer is 4.5 hours away and anyway this is what he installed. Should I be looking at upgrading the spring bars to the 600 - 800 lb rating ones?
Does it really matter?
Am I over thinking this? I'm pretty happy with my sway control but then it's my first rig.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
busterbrown

You will notice a stiffer ride with the heavier bars.

If you think the tongue weight will be significantly heavier than 600 lbs, I would switch out the current ones for the next size up. If the TW stays relatively close to 600 lbs and the numbers look good when all saddled up, I would just keep what you have.

BTW, 125 lbs of water will add to your TW, but only by a percentage. The trailer axles will carry much of that fresh water weight.

Also, I've not heard of spring bars bending, breaking or failing in what you describe above.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:35 AM   #3
Hankster

I would tend to agree with BusterBrown. I'd much rather be at the upper end of a lighter spring than the lower end of the heavier spring.
Also, I was just telling the wife how our rig seems to tow better when we have a little more tongue weight, and the fresh water tank is full. Pickups always seem to ride smoothest at almost a completely full payload.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:42 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

I agree with the above, the bars you have should be fine. We have an Eaz-Lift Trekker hitch set-up with the bars labeled 600 lbs. However, the specs say that the bars are good for up to 800 lbs. so there tends to be a little leeway in the numbers.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote