Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #1
hookd

Toy hauler shopping

We decided it was time to upgrade from the old bumper pull and are going to look at a 2015 impact 341 this weekend. Anyone have any tips on what to look for our questions to ask?

Thanks!
hookd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:13 AM   #2
notanlines

Ah, the excitement of new toy shopping.....we are all jealous of your situation. First thing of importance is looking for evidence of ANY water intrusion. A water leak through the roof might cause a separation of the filon from the outside shell. The would be a problem that cannot be fixed through normal channels. Run from this situation if you can see large "bubbles" visible on the outside. Mildew and rusting/rotting interior structure is sure to follow. Once you're convinced there is no obvious water damage then go to the overall condition of the unit. Smokers? Pets? Kids? Grandkids? Harsh wives? You get my drift? See if everything works, for example the water heater, furnace AC units, fridge, etc. Other members will chime in with a number of things I've missed, but keep us up on your progress. Good luck!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:22 AM   #3
Tinner12002

When we were shopping for one, we looked at, some of these may not apply to you,
1-- can we load frig without slide being out, if not is frig on curb side so slide can be run out without being in traffic.
2--can we get in frig and can we access bedroom and bath without running slides.
3--does it have full size, in depth cabinets for plates that are reachable without stool.
4--does it have USB ports in bedroom for charging phone without shore power or gen.
5--does it have USB ports in other locations in RV.
6--can we even get in and through the RV when slides are in.
7--had to have 6-point level up.
8--had to have black tank flush
9--preferred to have all tank handles/dump valves in conven center.
10--can we get around the bed to make it up...most 5ers not an issue anyway.
11--see if tires are good or best quality and sized correctly...should have been #1
12--make sure its a clear title RV...not salvage.
These were things we looked for, but a couple items went out the window because she wanted to side patio. As was already mentioned, look for water damage, roof condition, if theres any patches in roof and if they were done correctly. Theres a list on this forum that you can link to and copy and print that will give you items to check when making a purchase, mostly for a new RV but I'm sure most item would be the same on a used one also.
13--First and foremost, don't be afraid to ask questions on here as there are a bunch of great people with great advice!
14--Make sure you have enough truck to pull what your looking at before you purchase your RV, if your not sure ask. It looks like the RV your looking at has about a 3100lb pin weight with around 16K GVWR so your definitely in 1 ton territory.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:55 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Impacts are well built trailers and tough. Make sure everything works, just like in purchasing a new one. Keep in mind, it will be you having to fix anything that doesn't. Print off and use the PDI sheet on here to use as a guide as your shopping. Are you buying from a dealer or an individual? Can you trust them?

Good luck. The questions about tow vehicle are better answered before you buy rather than after.

By the way, my SIL is a doctor in Butte. Love it there, what a beautiful area.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:22 AM   #5
xrated

Tinner already mentioned it, but make sure you have enough truck for a trailer that size. There are very few, if any 3/4 Ton truck's that will safely tow that trailer. If you load it to the point that it is close to the GVWR of the trailer, you will be every bit of 3100-3200 lbs on the pin weight.....and that doesn't include extras that will go in or on the truck......200 lbs of hitch, passengers, tools, grill, whatever. You could pretty easily be at 4000 lbs counting everything and quite possibly, most likely in Dually territory.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
notanlines

Chip, I'll bet she's a Butte........
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Chip, I'll bet she's a Butte........
I've been waiting for someone to smack that softball. Nice hit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #8
2014301ktmhauler

All those previous comments and G rated tires.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
hookd

We have a 2014 F350 CCSB 6.7 FX4 with b&w turnover and I will be adding airbags and an Anderson ultimate hitch. This will be our seventh camper, we have gone from slide ins to pop ups to bumper pulls so hopefully we finally know what we want and need.
We looked at new but honestly for the money and depreciation I have a hard time parting with that much cash. The Impact was a local trade at a very reputable dealer and I have been talking with them about this unit for about 3 weeks getting warranty history and maintenance records. It matches most of our requirements but I will miss the outdoor kitchen our last unit had but everything has trade offs since there is no such thing as the perfect camper. Good info on the PDI sheet, I will have to hunt that down.
Butte is pretty nice, we moved here two years ago after I retired out of the Air Force and it has been an adjustment but a good one.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

The PDI is here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5129

It's the first thread in the "Keystone Questions" section of the forum. Good Luck with your new trailer...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #11
hookd

John, thanks for the info on the PDI location. I will definitely be taking that with us, crazy sales guy wanted me to sign their PDI checklist without me even looking at it. Might be an interesting trip tomorrow!
Old 02-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookd View Post
John, thanks for the info on the PDI location. I will definitely be taking that with us, crazy sales guy wanted me to sign their PDI checklist without me even looking at it. Might be an interesting trip tomorrow!
DO NOT sign anything or take possession til EVERYTHING is to your satisfaction, usually once its yours they could care less.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #13
hookd

Yeah I don't think old boy thought it was to cool when I started laughing at him when he said it. The sad thing is all the people that just sign everything they are told to and say whatever.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #14
mikz86ta

Fridge is indeed on curb side. But there's an island bar going to be in the way. It's also a smaller RV fridge.
So that begs to answer a new question.... Are you weekend warrior camping or going on week/month/longer trips? Lengthy stays may want to consider a bigger fridge. Residential fridge is great except for fry camping or limited current situations. But larger RV fridge is a nice compromise
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #15
mikz86ta

Here's a link to one.
https://www.generalrv.com/product/ne...-341-264795-26

Looks like a nice floor plan with room. Especially around the bed to maneuver in there.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:04 PM   #16
hookd

You do have to put the slide out to get too the fridge but we have a couple of acres so there's plenty of room to leave slides out as long as we want. We are weekend warriors with a couple long trips during the summer. They fridge is bigger than the one we had in our last camper but we are going to add a mini fridge in the garage for drinks and extra space. We ended up getting the deal done and they put off the PDI/delivery until next month when our road will hopefully be clear enough to get it up the mountain to our house. It did come with a year of free storage so no big deal either way. Bretz RV is a great outfit to work with so I would definitely recommend for anyone in the area.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:11 AM   #17
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
Fridge is indeed on curb side. But there's an island bar going to be in the way. It's also a smaller RV fridge.
So that begs to answer a new question.... Are you weekend warrior camping or going on week/month/longer trips? Lengthy stays may want to consider a bigger fridge. Residential fridge is great except for fry camping or limited current situations. But larger RV fridge is a nice compromise
When were loading at the house we're able to run the curb side frig slide out to load it as we have an island also. When we go out, we're usually out for a week of dry camping at Nascar races with friends. We have a 110qt Dometic frig/freezer that we loaded frozen foods and a couple 22lb bags of ice in when we had our smaller hauler, we have the larger RV frig in current hauler so not sure how much the dometic frig will get used. A 125 Yeti cooler does a great job keeping beer cold so don't use the frig for that. Stay away from a resid frig in a toy hauler unless you know your going to run gen or be plugged into shore power most of the time your out or unless you have a massive bank of batteries.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
DO NOT sign anything or take possession til EVERYTHING is to your satisfaction, usually once its yours they could care less.
Very true!

I must say tho, Lazy Days in Tampa will let u stay a night in it to be sure u like it and have any questions. Of course you have already purchased it. But they at least care after the sale.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
Very true!

I must say tho, Lazy Days in Tampa will let u stay a night in it to be sure u like it and have any questions. Of course you have already purchased it. But they at least care after the sale.
That's if you can deal with them I couldn't! My trade was worth less than wholesale (it was a very clean 6 year old 5er), they wouldn't come off MSRP but a $1000 dollars in theirs. Needless to say we traded elsewhere.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #20
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That's if you can deal with them I couldn't! My trade was worth less than wholesale (it was a very clean 6 year old 5er), they wouldn't come off MSRP but a $1000 dollars in theirs. Needless to say we traded elsewhere.

Sorry to hear that. We had no trade, just bought outright.
They had a price listed and we went in a second time with a price to offer in mind. We didn't divulge that price and told our sales guy we needed it lower. He came back with a better price. Turned out it was lower by a small margin that what we were about to offer them. Almost like they read our mind . So we came out happy

Tags
toy hauler