Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2017, 06:53 AM   #21
ken56

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Greenie, I see your side of the issue. $225,000 over ten years per job created is a lot of public money. Let me take the opposing side for just a minute. (Yes, I have done that more than once) When a tourist dollar comes to Memphis it is turned over between 2.5 and 3.5 times trickling down before it's life comes to an end. Tourists are very, very important to our city. Yes, I do realize that tourism promotes minimum wage jobs. By the same token we spend an extraordinary amount of public money to further expand the finances of billionaires across this country by building massive sporting facilities and these businesses promote what in employment? Yes, minimum wage jobs. The 13,000 individuals employed by this company will be buying new homes, school clothes, vacations to visit Elvis' mansion in Memphis (a little humor) and new vehicles. And I haven't even mentioned the 30,000 or so associated jobs created from the trickle down effect. In my opinion Wisconsinites have landed a gem, not a rock. Many, many cities in this country and other countries would jump at the same chance.
Spot on with your analysis. I live in the Pigeon Forge area and while most jobs are of the minimum wage nature that tourist dollar makes its rounds and goes a long way.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #22
srvnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
I seem to remember an awful lot of American tires that have been disasters...and how about American made cars? Just saying that's not necessarily a criteria for well made.
Yes it is, compared to Asia for example.
The US has had their failures but name one good ST tire from overseas.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #23
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvnt View Post
but name one good ST tire from overseas.
Sailun, S637.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #24
srvnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Sailun, S637.
The website has very limited sizes. The smallest was 16" and mine are 14".
Still wouldn't by a china tire haha.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #25
MerlinB

Quote:
Yes it is, compared to Asia for example.
The US has had their failures but name one good ST tire from overseas.
Maxxis 8008.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #26
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post
Maxxis 8008.
Antiquated, without a speed rating.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #27
notanlines

I'm afraid that you would lose on betting that there at no good trailer tires from overseas. Maxxis, Carlisle and Sailun come to mind immediately. Overall, the Sailun simply cannot be beat and dollar for dollar I believe (no first hand experience) the Carlisle tire is probably the leader.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #28
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Antiquated, without a speed rating.

That's your opinion. Also, anyone "that writes about tires" should know the default speed rating for ST tires is 65 mph.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #29
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post
That's your opinion. Also, anyone "that writes about tires" should know the default speed rating for ST tires is 65 mph.
But do you know why that is?

There is no speed letter for 65 MPH is one reason.

Maxxis does not have the same tariff tax relief as China ST tire manufacturers and is not threatened by US customs inspectors looking for tire speed letters from China manufacturers.

True, without a speed letter or numerical speed rating molded into/onto the tire's sidewall, all ST tires default to a minimal test standard of 65 MPH set by the TRA and required certification from the actual tire manufacturer.

Maxxis has had plenty of time to catch-up with the overwhelming majority of ST tire manufacturers that have raised the bar and strengthened their ST tires to a point where they can pass higher standards for increased speed letters. They do not provide any excuses for not improving the quality of their ST tires to a point where they can be tested for higher speed letters (MO).

This is an excerpt from a US commerce department document.

Exemption Requirements for ST Trailer Tires from China

The Commerce Department: The following criteria must be met in order for the exemption:
◾The size designation molded into the sidewall must be listed in the ST sections of the Tire and Rim Association (TRA) Year Book
◾The designation “ST” must be molded into the tire’s sidewall as part of the size designation
◾The tire incorporates a warning, prominently molded on the sidewall, that the tire is “For Trailer Service Only” or “For Trailer Use Only”
◾The load index molded on the tire’s sidewall meets or exceeds those load indexes listed in the TRA Year Book for the relevant ST tire size
◾The tire’s speed rating is molded on the sidewall, indicating the rated speed in mph or a letter rating as listed by TRA.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #30
CaptnJohn

Had many trailers with wheels under 16" and ran Carlisle ~~ never a problem. Now I run Sailun on the Montana which have the best reputation of all.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #31
dcg9381

Quote:
The website has very limited sizes. The smallest was 16" and mine are 14".
Still wouldn't by a china tire haha.
I getcha... It's like saying I wouldn't buy a car made in Mexico. Good luck, unless your going Asian or European.

And yea, Sailun doesn't have 14" sizes. But the first thing I bought for my RV was brand new Sailun tires made in China. They happened to be 100% heavier than the OEM Trailer King set (also made in China).

China DOES make some crap. But a lot of their crap is responsive to a market who will buy that crap (Thor Industries) and a consumer base (us) that doesn't demand better alternatives when making our purchase preferences.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #32
plocklin

I ditched the china tires and installed Goodyear Endurance (Made in USA). I upgraded my rims from a 15" to a 16" which only rose my TT by 1.5 inches.
It now pulls like a dream with plenty of extra load buffer (capacity) for my likes.

Another bonus is they are rated for over 80mph. I have pulled my rig from Dallas to Florida Disney world and just recently from Dallas to Yosemite and back. I inflate them to 68psi (65 on the trailer tag) and have no problems going 70-75 mph.

I know this issue is often a can of worms but I did my research and this was my solution to the cheap factory tires that only "meet requirements".

New tricks
plocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #33
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I think you will get more kick back on doing 70 to 75 than anything else. Even if the speed rating on the tires is higher the majority of folks on here only tow 60 to 65. I'd hate for someone without upgraded tires to read this and think it's ok to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #34
plocklin

Good point,

I stay within the speed limit. Arizona I40 is 75mph. I usually hold it down 68 to 70 to save fuel. I did go a spell at 70 to 75 and sucked down 7.5mpg of diesel.

A long straight highway makes it easy to go fast and staying up with traffic.
I was just making the point that with good tires you aren't restricted to 80psi, 65mph and are less likely to have a blow out.

New tricks
Old 01-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by plocklin View Post
Good point,

I stay within the speed limit. Arizona I40 is 75mph. I usually hold it down 68 to 70 to save fuel. I did go a spell at 70 to 75 and sucked down 7.5mpg of diesel.

A long straight highway makes it easy to go fast and staying up with traffic.
I was just making the point that with good tires you aren't restricted to 80psi, 65mph and are less likely to have a blow out.
I think good tires are important. And they "help" minimize the potential of a blowout. That said, there are many other aspects to tires/towing other than a good tire so that you can drive 75 mph at 68 psi with no worries - the rating on the sidewall doesn't mean a lot. I don't know if you've seen a tire blow on a trailer and then the sudden new load cause another one to go...I have. On I10 about 30 miles W of Tallahassee. The guy was going maybe 75 (fast enough to be passing the 70mph speed limit traffic). Looked like a 20' flatbed loaded with?? I was going the opposite direction. First failure sounded like a shotgun blast to my left. I looked and saw the white puff of smoke and subsequent disintegration of the first tire. He started pulling down hard. When he was at maybe 40 mph I saw the other tire go (watching the rear view and had slowed down). Looked like he got it off the road OK.

My point? Towing a heavy travel trailer at those kinds of speeds is needlessly dangerous. IF that kind of failure happened on a much larger travel trailer the consequences could be catastrophic. The combo is not going to react like driving your pickup. You, yours and others lives hang in that balance depending on "what if".

I see semis going 80 all the time. I think it's stupid. On the other hand they have an advantage; they don't call them "18 wheelers" for nothing!! (They still can't stop).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #36
plocklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

My point? Towing a heavy travel trailer at those kinds of speeds is needlessly dangerous. IF that kind of failure happened on a much larger travel trailer the consequences could be catastrophic. The combo is not going to react like driving your pickup. You, yours and others lives hang in that balance depending on "what if".
Good food for thought.
Thanks for the comment

New tricks
Old 01-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #37
Barbell

In my view, high-speed towing is a sure sign of someone new to it. We are on the road about six months of the year and frequently are passed by one of these. More times than not, we see them again, either getting a speeding ticket or trying to figure out how to change that blown tire. Just because my truck will pull the 5er 80 mph doesn;t mean I should or will.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #38
Scran

Hey...... I put Samson's on my 3150RL this summer after a couple of Goodyear blowouts and love them! Had intended to purchase Bridgestone's, but guy at the tire shop talked me out of them and into the Samson's. Says they sell a crap load of them, often to guys farmers hauling heavy loads on their trailers. They've had good luck with them and for me - so far so good. Probably have 5,000 miles on them and they are wearing nicely and are providing a nice ride! They have 14ply steel belted sidewalls with a load rating of 4,400lbs @ 110lbs, which is 'way' more than anything else I've run. I guess we'll see.........but if you asked me today, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. About $180/tire. I'm running ST235/85R16's.
Edge CS2 Programer/Monitor
Scran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #39
Alley Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scran View Post
Hey...... I put Samson's on my 3150RL this summer after a couple of Goodyear blowouts and love them! Had intended to purchase Bridgestone's, but guy at the tire shop talked me out of them and into the Samson's. Says they sell a crap load of them, often to guys farmers hauling heavy loads on their trailers. They've had good luck with them and for me - so far so good. Probably have 5,000 miles on them and they are wearing nicely and are providing a nice ride! They have 14ply steel belted sidewalls with a load rating of 4,400lbs @ 110lbs, which is 'way' more than anything else I've run. I guess we'll see.........but if you asked me today, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. About $180/tire. I'm running ST235/85R16's.
I am with you! In the 70's the Japanese cars were making headway They had a saying"American make joke Japanese take note!" Look at there sales today and the quality of the product. I put Sailuns on my trailer I had 2 Marathons blow in 200 miles. Goodyear brought an inferior product to market then changed the name to Endurance. I searched for bad ratings and found none but lots for Goodyear. Wake up! Global Warming is a reality.
Alley Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Cat View Post
I am with you! In the 70's the Japanese cars were making headway They had a saying"American make joke Japanese take note!" Look at there sales today and the quality of the product. I put Sailuns on my trailer I had 2 Marathons blow in 200 miles. Goodyear brought an inferior product to market then changed the name to Endurance. I searched for bad ratings and found none but lots for Goodyear. Wake up! Global Warming is a reality.

Are we saying that Goodyear is responsible for "global warming".....in the midst of a unprecedented winter storm?? Unless you are a superior scientist, I suspect this forum is more worried about the quality of tires instead of "the sky is falling rhetoric" engendered by.......well, we won't go there.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires