Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
xcntrk

Digital cable & TV issue - New Trailer?

Hi all, looking for some input. I have a 2017 Fuzion 325 toyhauler with the Monster package. It has 3 flat screen TV’s; one primary 50” LED in the main living room, one 40” in the garage (on drop down bracket), and a much smaller (maybe 22”) in the master bedroom. The main 50” unit is name brand (Samsung), while the 2 others are off-brand (can't even remember).

Here’s my problem, when connected to shore cable television service provided at some campgrounds, the off-brand bedroom and the garage TV’s are unable to locate any channels, while the primary 50” TV does just fine. This only happens at some campgrounds and I believe it has something to do with the TV’s ability to pick up and decode digital television signals. I suspect the 2 off brand units can only handle analog signals, while the name brand 50” can support digital. (outdated TV’s on a 2017!? Thanks Keystone)

Can anybody confirm this might be the case and/or what are some options to get around it (short of replacing the 2 off-brand TV’s)?

TIA

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

It most likely has to do with the settings on the tv menu itself. All tvs after 2009 have digital tuners since all tv transmissions have to be digital after that date. Check that the tvs in question are set for "CABLE" and not antenna input. Also there are different types of cable settings .... check what the Samsung is set on and change the others to the same settings. Hope this helps, Hank

If this does not work you may have add QAM tuner to the off brand tvs.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
It most likely has to do with the settings on the tv menu itself. All tvs after 2009 have digital tuners since all tv transmissions have to be digital after that date. Check that the tvs in question are set for "CABLE" and not antenna input. Also there are different types of cable settings .... check what the Samsung is set on and change the others to the same settings. Hope this helps, Hank

If this does not work you may have add QAM tuner to the off brand tvs.
Thanks for the feedback!

I can add that I've exhausted the menu configurations and tried every iteration of antenna/cable settings and channel scans across the two available tuner types. I've also messed with and ensured the trailer's antenna booster was not on while on shore cable (which can interfere with the cable signal).

Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
canesfan

Have you tried hooking the cable from the CG directly to each of the 2 tvs not working and see it they work that way? Bypassing the internal wiring of the camper may help narrow things down. You never know what they may have, or not have, done.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Have you tried hooking the cable from the CG directly to each of the 2 tvs not working and see it they work that way? Bypassing the internal wiring of the camper may help narrow things down. You never know what they may have, or not have, done.
Sigh... I'm terrible at communicating this problem. I should have added in the first post that all 3 TV's work using the broadcast Antenna.

So that begs the question, we know broadcast is all digital now and the rooftop antenna obviously picks it up and distributes it to the 3 TV's, but is that signal a different digital type than that of cable? Maybe it does have to do with encryption and QAM as mentioned by Hank?

Old 02-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I think the KEY to your issue may be in the first part of your first comment: "at SOME campgrounds"....

There are two types of cable systems in use in campgrounds. One is the "free, just hook it up" type which is compatible with almost any "modern TV" and may be what you've experienced in "the other campgrounds"..

The second type of cable system is the type that is not free. Or the type that many cable systems are requiring their commercial subscribers to use. In that type, the cable is connected the same, but the signal is "scrambled" and can not be "interpreted" by the TV unless a "converter box" is used. Requiring the "converter box" effectively limits the subscription service to "authorized users only" and prevents pirating the cable signal.

That wouldn't explain why you can receive the signal on one TV and not on the others, unless your "better TV" has a built in "converter box" and the others don't or unless the cable system has some kind of "detector" built in that limits reception on more than one TV... (I've heard of this type but never EVER seen one)...

Have you discussed the problem with the campground office? They might be able to give you a "quick answer" to get you up and running.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
rsl

Ok let me help out, I have been down this road already. The two off brand cheap TV's in the non living room areas do not have the digital cable tuners built in them. I cannot remember the brand of them but I have the same setup in my 371. I ran into the same problem and went as far as to call the manufacture who advised me of this. The Living room TV is higher quality and does has the Digital cable turner builtin. Which for reference the digital antenna and digital cable tuners are two different things.
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
MattHelm21

This is just a shot in the dark and I haven't experienced this or run into this problem yet because I've barely used the sets. These sets are by Seiki and when I look them up on Amazon, I find comments that there is a hidden menu to enable the QAM tuner and a code. I found a code and I can try this later today when I go out to the trailer but I have no cable and no way to test it in the near future. However, I'll post back if the set accepts the code and if you want it, PM me.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
This is just a shot in the dark and I haven't experienced this or run into this problem yet because I've barely used the sets. These sets are by Seiki and when I look them up on Amazon, I find comments that there is a hidden menu to enable the QAM tuner and a code. I found a code and I can try this later today when I go out to the trailer but I have no cable and no way to test it in the near future. However, I'll post back if the set accepts the code and if you want it, PM me.
Yes please do! This sounds very promising

Old 02-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
Ok let me help out, I have been down this road already. The two off brand cheap TV's in the non living room areas do not have the digital cable tuners built in them. I cannot remember the brand of them but I have the same setup in my 371. I ran into the same problem and went as far as to call the manufacture who advised me of this. The Living room TV is higher quality and does has the Digital cable turner builtin. Which for reference the digital antenna and digital cable tuners are two different things.
Thank you for the detail, this sound like the source of the problem. So short of replacing the 2 cheap TV's, any other options that work?

Old 02-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #11
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
Some quick searching revealed the following:

click menu
click 0,0,0,0, the service menu will open
scroll and click others
scroll and click other settings
scroll down to cable qam - switch it to on

I'll have to try that and see if that enables QAM for unscrambled HD channel scanning.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #12
rsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
Thank you for the detail, this sound like the source of the problem. So short of replacing the 2 cheap TV's, any other options that work?
You can get an external addon QAM (digital cable) box. When I spoke to Seiki rep on the phone they advised me my model of TV did not have a digital tuner built in, but maybe yours does.

https://www.amazon.com/IVIEW-3200STB...r+for+cable+tv
Old 02-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #13
MattHelm21

Well I found two procedures on this both of which didn't work on the 40 inch TV. I still need to try the one in the bedroom and in the basement storage. I tried both the service menu mentioned above and the QAM settings others have found in the selection of Air and Cable channels and the options aren't present.

A post I found had a supposed quote from Seiki:

"The TV does support ATSC digital channels from over the air broadcasts.
Our newer model TVs do not include a QAM tuner, so a cable converter box or digital adapter (DTA) would be needed. Some cable carriers offer digital adapters at low or no cost.
Since cable companies are no longer required by FCC to provide unencrypted or unscrambled QAM (see http://*******/uKd36y ), we no longer include QAM support in newer models."

Maybe this info will help someone else but it looks like the newer your Seiki TV, the less likely it is going to support QAM.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:17 AM   #14
xcntrk

^Thank you for following up. I'll try the service menu on mine just to be sure, but it's very likely I'll be in the exact same boat. While it would be nice to take full advantage of the TV's when desired, I guess the poor kids will have to make do with no TV in the garage and go out and socialize with fellow campers instead

Old 07-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #15
K_N_L

I just had the same issue with my 325 with the front bedroom TV as well on our last trip - I replaced the cable, tried it in the garage with the garage cable but still nothing. The campground area has NO air signals so it was DOA for the trip. Once I ran the auto scan there were no channels in memory and it wouldn't switch to that input without trying to run the auto scan. I found the admin access code by using my googlefu but it didn't really help at that point. Back home, as we were about to call the dealer/Keystone - it worked fine, auto scanning the air for bcast signal.

We're planning a trip back to the same campground in a couple of weeks and I will test it again - but I will have a small Samsung from our old camper I will take along as well. I kinda hate to be dorking around with TV's while out 'camping' but you want your stuff to work right? I was searching for where the splitters are when I found this tread, a bit old but at least it helps to know (as always) not the first one to see this issue. Thanks!

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #16
xcntrk

Thanks for the input and nice 325 Kevin!

The admin code and attempting to enable (a non-existent) QAM did nothing for me. Maybe you'll have better luck.

I have since gone with an entirely different setup now where I bring along a small streaming video server, running plex, and use streaming stick clients to have access to my entire video library at every TV in the RV.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #17
rsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
Thanks for the input and nice 325 Kevin!

The admin code and attempting to enable (a non-existent) QAM did nothing for me. Maybe you'll have better luck.

I have since gone with an entirely different setup now where I bring along a small streaming video server, running plex, and use streaming stick clients to have access to my entire video library at every TV in the RV.
Do elaborate.....
Old 07-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #18
K_N_L

One option I played with is by having ATT wireless and Direct TV - I can stream some DirectTV channels from my Android tablet with no data charges (at least for now) and access my home DVR as long as I have a good 4G signal.

With the right smart TV or Chromecast puck you could cast that to a TV as an option.
Actually the wife was happy the TV in the bedroom wasnt working anyway...

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:39 AM   #19
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
Do elaborate.....
Well, anybody who has a digital media library is likely familiar with video servers and streaming utilities. I use Plex. It's a media server used to access and organize your digital media libraries, and can stream them to Plex-Clients that can operate on a number of different client devices and smart TV's.

So, what I do in the RV is use this neat WD-Passport device which is a combined; portable 2TB storage device, Wifi hotspot, and Plex server all in one. I dump a selection of my media files onto that device, it runs the Plex server and builds a wifi (both N and AC bands) in my RV. Then I use "media stick clients" at each TV to access the Plex media server over the local wifi. In the small RV, the wifi clients are close enough to the hotspot to maintain an effective AC (5ghz) wifi band and can stream 1080p H264/ACC media no problem. I tried a couple different clients including Google Chromecast and now Roku Sticks, but really any client device that runs Plex will work. The kids also use their smart devices (phones, tablets, etc.) to run the Plex client and stream directly as well. We take it with us when we travel around (minus the TV stick clients), and the kids can watch their movies while in the car, etc.

Here's pic of the Passport storage/wifi/media server, and x2 Chromecast stick clients (which is what plugs into the TV's to access the media server over wifi).

Old 07-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #20
Jeepshots

Which media stick clients do you prefer?
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable