Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Yes, I put new seals in. Mine are usually torn up when I get them pulled. The comment was in reference to other posts about seals blowing or failing. I should have stated that mine did not fail over this period.

I was hoping that was the case. I have seen people re use them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:41 AM   #22
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwolfe View Post
Well as much as I would like to, I think one a year is just about my limit
I agree. Last time I worked on bearings was 4 years ago on my previous boat trailer. I'm going to stick with a 2 year repack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ve lost count LOL!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #24
travelin texans

IMHO if you own a trailer of any kind you should at least do the repack once with supervision & once by yourself just so you know how its supposed to be.
Both my kids & my oldest granddaughter I've made change a tire & replace with the spare & then but all back to normal while sitting in the driveway, now they can do it anywhere if they have to.
I'lll stop along side the highway to help any woman with a flat, but a young to middle age man appearing physically capable, if he's old enough to drive he should be able to put his own spare on.
Same with rvs, if your not somewhat handy with tools, with the very basic plumbing/electrical knowledge, owning a rv may not be your best choice unless you don't mind the repair facility having more than you.
Sorry for the rant, just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #25
MerlinB

Hey, Moderators, Administrators, Whatever,

Some of these posts just beg for a "LIKE" button.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post
Hey, Moderators, Administrators, Whatever,

Some of these posts just beg for a "LIKE" button.
Hey MerlinB, The software doesn't support a "LIKE" button (this ain't Facestuff).... There is a "THANKS" button at the bottom of every post.....

I think you're #86 to ask for a "LIKE" button in the past year......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #27
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Hey MerlinB, The software doesn't support a "LIKE" button (this ain't Facestuff).... There is a "THANKS" button at the bottom of every post.....

I think you're #86 to ask for a "LIKE" button in the past year......
Oh, I know, but it's OK to wish isn't it?

And I do hit that "THANKS" button occasionally.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:37 AM   #28
mizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Food for thought!! With a 5200 pound axle, you can most likely use the bigger 6000 pound OUTER bearing cup and cone (parts 15245/15123). It, of course wont turn it into a 5.2 or 6K suspension without different springs, but those are only another $130 at Etrailer (part no. UNA111 for the25-1/4" long 6K)
This is exactly the info I was searching through the forum for. I ordered new brake hubs from Lippert for my 2017 LCI52 axle (4400lb rating) via Amazon. They came, and examining the bearings (china bearings of course) I noticed something. The new hubs outer bearing cone & cup is BIGGER than on the original 2017 Lippert Hubs. Now I know why - the bearings are for the 6000 lb setup. I was thinking about swapping out the China bearings to Timken, but now not so amped up to do. I think I'll pack them good and run them. Have a 5K miles trip ahead of me, so hoping goes well. These China bearings can't be that bad, can they?
mizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:47 AM   #29
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizer View Post
This is exactly the info I was searching through the forum for. I ordered new brake hubs from Lippert for my 2017 LCI52 axle (4400lb rating) via Amazon. They came, and examining the bearings (china bearings of course) I noticed something. The new hubs outer bearing cone & cup is BIGGER than on the original 2017 Lippert Hubs. Now I know why - the bearings are for the 6000 lb setup. I was thinking about swapping out the China bearings to Timken, but now not so amped up to do. I think I'll pack them good and run them. Have a 5K miles trip ahead of me, so hoping goes well. These China bearings can't be that bad, can they?
Shortly after purchasing my 2020 Cougar I made a worksheet with all the various bearing/brake component part numbers for reference.

I too have the 4400 lb axles.....and if I recall correctly, these are actually de-rated 5200 lb axles....which seems correct as they match your LCI52 part number. When I was writing up my parts document I noted on the bottom that all of my part numbers could be found in the Lippert manual describing the 6K axles.....
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:44 AM   #30
mizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Shortly after purchasing my 2020 Cougar I made a worksheet with all the various bearing/brake component part numbers for reference.

I too have the 4400 lb axles.....and if I recall correctly, these are actually de-rated 5200 lb axles....which seems correct as they match your LCI52 part number. When I was writing up my parts document I noted on the bottom that all of my part numbers could be found in the Lippert manual describing the 6K axles.....
Yes I've started a folder, and each job has a list of notes. I think you're right, I should enter it all into a spreadsheet someday. And yes ... derated 5200lb axles - hence that smaller bearing I spied.

Anyway ... the reason I got this deep into the hubs and brakes was my original inner seals leaked. All 4 magnets were coated in grease, one set of shoes covered in grease, and the other shoes suspect. The camper only has a few 1000 miles on it. The seals are TRP brand, and I noticed the seals on the newly arrived hubs are also this TRP brand. I already bought some WPS seals and plan on taking out the new seals on the new hubs, and installing my new WPS seals. Hopefully they won't leak on my brand new shoes and magnets.

I really leaning towards running the Chinese bearings that Lippert installs, unless I hear a unanimous chorus against doing so. It's another $250 bucks to change all the way around to Timken. It never ends!! As a note, the replacement hubs I received are in Lippert boxes, but sure seem to be effectively straight from China (of course).
mizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 01:40 PM   #31
gearhead

We had a Montana HC previous to our current Landmark. There was an issue regarding the grease seal size on the 5200# axles. I’m sorry I don’t remember the exact details but it seems there was a size change. I would get the info off your axles’ paper tag and call Dexter to confirm the correct size.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes