Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2017, 05:40 AM   #1
Joeybert

Tongue Weight

I have a 2003 Springdale 286 RL or RLDS and I cant find the tongue weight anywhere online. Does anyone have it? I also cant find a user manual particular to this make and model. I see a generic manual for springdale, but not my particular model. Thoughts?
Joeybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The only "published" tongue weight you'll find (if you can find one) will be the "shipping tongue weight" which is the weight as it left the factory. That means without battery(ies), no propane, no WD hitch or brackets, and no cargo. That is not the weight that you'll encounter when you hitch your trailer to the tow vehicle, so it's really just a "starting point for guessing". Yes, guessing, because every owner will load differently and their tongue weight will be different, sometimes, dramatically different.

The empty trailer weighs about 6600 pounds and the GVW is 9560. Using the 10%-15% guidelines, that means an empty tongue weight between 660-990 pounds and a GVW tongue weight between 950-1435 pounds.

Since there's such a broad range from 660 to over 1400 pounds, anything would just be a guess, so I'd suggest you load the trailer as you will tow it, head to a CAT scale and get "real world weights" for your rig. That's the only way you're going to know for sure what you're dealing with. Anything you find on the internet or in a brochure will be a "guess" and very likely not even close to what you actually experience "in the real world".

As for an owner's manual, there are no "model specific manuals" for any Keystone RV. They publish a "generic manual" that applies to all their trailers, both travel trailers and fifth wheels. You can download the current manual at the Keystone RV website and you may be able to find some "older manuals" online by doing a "Google search". Good luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!
There isn't any model specific owners made by any RV manufacturer.

As far as tongue weight, you can weigh it using a bathroom scale. Google it for specific instructions. They do make tongue scales for purchase, but if it's a one time use I wouldn't pay the price.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
Joeybert

JRTJH thank you for the info. Helpful info... but now how the heck do I get this thing home? I need to take ownership of it, and move it to a weighing facility... and then park it until I get the right hitch and stabilizer bars?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
xrated

Do you know anyone with a "for sure" heavy enough truck.....a 1Ton SRW or Dually, that might not need a WDH for the tow home.....with a scale stop along the way.?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
Joeybert

No. I am renting a RAM 2500 from Enterprise commercial truck division. I have to get it home (about 300 miles) and then I am going to purchase a truck in the spring to move it around whenever we use it. So, I am buying a stabilizer and hitch that will be used with the rental truck... and hopefully I will be buying a similar truck that will accommodate the same setup.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeybert View Post
I have a 2003 Springdale 286 RL or RLDS and I cant find the tongue weight anywhere online. Does anyone have it? I also cant find a user manual particular to this make and model. I see a generic manual for springdale, but not my particular model. Thoughts?
Keystone has specs for Springdale models all the way back to 1999 listed on their web page. Problem is, there is no 286. (Those specs have the recommended hitch weights which are for the vehicle's GVWR). But, once you own it the hitch weight is your responsibility.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
Joeybert

http://hildstrom.com/projects/tonguescale/ not the worst idea... at least to get a rough idea.