Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2018, 06:14 AM   #1
T-Unit

FUBAR black tank on new to me Springdale

So about a month ago the wife and I purchased our first camper. It's an 07 Springdale 292 BHL-S. Looks great outside, looks unused on the inside safe for the shower being yellowed but that's not a problem at all.

We had it for a week or two in the driveway while we stocked it and I tested everything out with zero problems. The tanks all had some stuff in them since we bought it from an older couple that used it as temporary housing between homes in a move. I picked a very close by campground for our first outing just in case something went wrong, we could head home and figure it out without losing much. I dumped the tanks the first morning (had to get new hoses which was no biggie).

With winter coming I wanted to empty the fresh water tank as I wouldn't be dry camping this fall, and figur d I'd use the 2/3 of the tank to flush the black water.

After running the fresh tank low enough to suck air, I proceeded outside to hear water hitting the ground. A quick I estimation revealed my black tank had cracks in 3/4 lower corners. Great! Luckily I had already drained it the day before and it was cleanish water, but still, no bueno. It needs replaced for sure. I'm usually a big DIY guy but I don't know if this is necessarily a dirty job I want to do. I've never done camper repair. Parts hunting will be difficult. I've done some searching and can't really find a specific tank make/model. Just generic stuff so far. Which could mean a lot of plumbing c*ntf*ckulating I really have no desire to trial and error with on a $200+ tank.

Is there any way I could find a direct fit tank I don't have to hack up? If not, what's the going rate for something like this? I'm sure there's some sort of hazmat/hazard pay surcharge for this type of job. Any input here would be nice.
T-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:33 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Hazmat pay? I wish!!! Measure your tanks dimensions, then head to the nearest RV parts store. There are tanks made in lots of different sizes and configurations. There will only be 2 holes to cut, inlet and vent. Use the old tank for location. It’s not that hard to do and if you decide you want to try, shoot me a PM and I can help via Email.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
T-Unit

I guess my main issue here is what to do with a 34 gallon crapper tank once I replace it. My 64 gallon trash tote is not gonna work and I don't think my trash guy would do anything with it. And I am not cutting the dang thing apart [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 09-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #4
T-Unit

Yard art is not an option I'm considering either lmao.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
Mikendebbie

black tank replacement

Maybe 5 years ago we bought a used 1997 KZ Sportsmen. Everything seemed to work at first but soon discovered the original toilet was rotten and leaked. I decided to replace the toilet but the old one was glued into the flange from the black tank below - no way to get it loose. (I read up on the task and learned that not all toilets are glued in place - but mine was!) I had to cut it off the black tank, which tore up the tank flange - therefore I had no choice but to get a new black tank. I took the tank down and measured it, and local RV supply store ordered a new one. KZ was no help. They did not have any records from trailers that old (I still don't really believe that to be true, but oh well). Using a hole saw to cut the new holes was nerve racking. I had never done anything like this before. I measured 20 times and cut once. I was afraid of ruining a $200 - $300 tank (can't remember the cost). Ultimately I was successful in getting it put back in place and installing a new toilet. So my advice is to measure 20 times and cut once!
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
KYFamily

My grey water tank cracked about 2 years ago. I tried to fix it a couple of time myself but couldn't get it to hold. My tank had a sticker with the part number. I just called my dealer and had them look it up. Had them order one and had it replaced this past spring. The tank ran about $400. If not sticker then you could measure or maybe call a dealer with the make and model along with VIN number and they may be able to look it up.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
Ddubya

Here is a link to your tanks.

https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...23+%2F+Keyword

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:42 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Unit View Post
I guess my main issue here is what to do with a 34 gallon crapper tank once I replace it. My 64 gallon trash tote is not gonna work and I don't think my trash guy would do anything with it. And I am not cutting the dang thing apart [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
In 2009, I replaced my cracked black tank in my Jayco. Put on a pair of gloves and goggles and cut it up into pieces that fit in the garbage can.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:33 AM   #9
notanlines

Surely if one is crafty enough to handle the replacement of the tank (no small ordeal) then one would be crafty enough to find a dumpster for disposal of said tank?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #10
T-Unit

I do have access to some large dumpsters.......
Old 09-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
T-Unit

Temporary fix...... Far from a permanent solution, but should hold for the last few trips of the season

Flex tape supposedly stops leaks instantly. But I'm one that tends to go over the top, so the plastic weld went on first. Waiting for it to cure up and then I'll be tossing the tape over that just for extra security. Click image for larger version

Name:	1538159955930.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	18683
Old 10-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #12
Tufelhunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Unit View Post
Throw the tank in the back of the truck and take it to the trash dump yourself, most allow this. They will likely weigh you in and out and you'll be charged the minimum amount.
Tufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #13
Third Degree

Try This company
https://www.tank-depot.com/productse...V+holding+tank
Third Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #14
cwenn

Black Tank Repair

Check out the reapir that Ray did in this video to his cracked black tank. It may be worthwhile trying this before replacing the old tank.

https://www.loveyourrv.com/repairing...h-plasti-mend/
cwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #15
BeckyMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
Great link!!! Don't need it now, but bookmarking this for later.
Thank you!
BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #16
Nicculi

I had a broken(cracked) outlet on my older motorhome black tank, I repaired it with a product called Plasti-mend. Worked wonders, easy to use, and specially designed for abs plastic,
Nicculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 AM   #17
Ken / Claudia

Just my thoughts, because I have fixed the same thing (not RV tanks) over and over again. If I were keeping the RV, I would replace the cracked tank with a new one. Reasons why? I think if it cracked once is it going to also crack there again or else where starting the whole repair process over. Did it crack due to bad tank, bad install, abuse or age. Just replace with new and avoid further problems with the old.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #18
T-Unit

Alright, after a long winter milling about. I have decided it's at least worth looking into how this needs to get done. I've got a seasonal site lined up already for the summer, and every dealer I have called so far says they're booked out til mid May at the earliest and won't even call me back for details or scheduling. So I figure while I'm waiting, I could at least do a little digging around to see exactly how the toilet plumbing is attached to the tank and where my vent is located and it's connection type to the tank. I'll be doing this today.

If it seems like a pretty simple process, I'll r&r the dang thing myself on a weekend and be back in business for considerably less than what a dealer would cost. The more places I call and don't hear back from, the more I wanna just say eff it and do it myself.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #19
T-Unit

Dropped it off at a dealer. Gave me a quote I really couldn't refuse.

Tags
black tank, springdale, tank