Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
Jeremy888

HELP Furnace , AC, Thermostat ,FUBAR

2017 3950BR Montana 5th wheel , This unit has 1 furnace, 2 Air Con units, and 2 thermostats, one in kitchen and the other in the bedroom . My understanding is that when working properly ,the furnace can be operated by either thermostat which are identical and each thermostat will turn on its corresponding Air Con unit. Last year I had problems getting the furnace to light ,which was resolved here on the Forum. The fix was a new igniter board from Dinosaur Electronics. This season I noticed that when I fire the furnace from the kitchen ,the heat comes out the floor vents as usual ,but also a low velocity cool air cones out the ceiling vents of the Air Con system ! Don't remember this happening before ,but it could have ..senior moments !!! Furthermore the bedroom thermostat when used to start the furnace starts the Air Con and will not fire the furnace. Since the thermostats are identical, JRTJH had advised me the last time to swap thermostats to rule out a bad thermostat while trouble shooting . I think I remember I found that both thermostats apparently worked and operated the system as described above. This seems like a thermostat issue but before I proceed to swap them again, I thought it prudent to ask for help. Here are my questions.

1. Is my understanding about the operation of my system correctly described above?

2. Does anyone else have the same symptom of a low velocity air flow out the ceiling vents when the furnace is fired? Is this nomal?

3.Any trobleshooting advice gladly accepted. What's the next step?

Thanks Jeremy

PS ...photo shows bedroom thermostat furnace led lit but A.C. is on instead of furnace!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191129_070754.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	24484  
Jeremy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your unit has two of the thermostats pictured, then only the one in the kitchen will control the furnace. The FAN needs to be set to AUTO, otherwise both fans will run.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

If you dont set the fans to auto, the AC fans, not the compressor, will run. Setting to auto turns the AC fan off.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
Jeremy888

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your unit has two of the thermostats pictured, then only the one in the kitchen will control the furnace. The FAN needs to be set to AUTO, otherwise both fans will run.
Chuckster57, Thank you! My wife sends you a Big HUG. Problem resolved . Both thermostats had Fans set to "Hi" .I changed them both to "Auto" and now the low velocity cool air no longer is present when furnace is fired. So is having both fans on "auto " is the desired setting? Is it true then that each thermostat controls one A.C. unit as described above? I want to make sure I understand correctly..
Old 11-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Tell her she is welcome. Those thermostats are designed to control a SINGLE AC and furnace. The kitchen one will only control that AC and the furnace. THe one in the bedroom will only control the AC in the bedroom NOT THE FURNACE, unless there is a second furnace in the bedroom.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
Jeremy888

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
If you dont set the fans to auto, the AC fans, not the compressor, will run. Setting to auto turns the AC fan off.
CTBRUCE ,Thank you, yes the air was just cool or unheated ,not cold. Both fans now set on auto and all is well...A clear case of OPERATOR ERROR.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #7
Jeremy888

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Tell her she is welcome. Those thermostats are designed to control a SINGLE AC and furnace. The kitchen one will only control that AC and the furnace. THe one in the bedroom will only control the AC in the bedroom NOT THE FURNACE, unless there is a second furnace in the bedroom.
CHUCKSTER57 Ok it all makes perfect sense to me now. As I replied to ctbruce, clear case of OPERATOR ERROR.. meaning me. Glad I waited for a response before grabbing a screwdriver.. It make sense that the thermostat furnace led lights when AC is on because the thermostat is not wired to the furnace but does not know it .lol... However the thermosat is not as dumb as the OPERATOR!
You have helped me more than once and I am very grateful ..Happy Holidays !
Old 11-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Happy Holidays to you and yours!! Hope the weather down your way is better than up here.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #9
Jeremy888

The storm hit Wednesday afternoon and is now slowing down,some ,flooding in the area but so far we are on good shape, Rain expected today and tomorrow ,clearing Sunday. Last year the storm blew water in the fridge compressor compartment tripping out the fridge. I have my magnets and hair dryer standing by! My son is coming up your way to Fresno and we are babysitting their new puppy a few days. I actually graduated from HS in Fresno.My father was a cattle man who worked for Harris Feeding Co. ,(a feedlot), in Coalinga.on I-5 you can smell it 5 miles away! For a spell he worked at Diamond Meat Co.,a slaughter/ packing house in Selma owned by Harris , We visited a slaughter house in Modesto where they fed paunch manure, ( undigested feed in the animal's stomach ) to hogs with the blood from the kill floor mixed with it.. You did not want to go near those pigs with a cut on your finger, talk about blood thirsty cannibals. Ok I'm far away off topic , forgive me . Jeremy
Old 12-05-2019, 05:13 PM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Now that's the way to end a thread! [emoji2961] May have to swear off pork for a while.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #11
Jeremy888

I worked at Harris for nearly 4 years as a cowboy. We had hogs there to eat the feed that fell to the ground when loading the feed wagons . Hogs will eat anything . This feed had a little dirt in it when picked up and Management rightfully not wanting to charge customers for feed mixed with dirt to their cattle , but didn't want to waste it found that hogs were the solution . Having both boars and sows we soon had more hogs than waste feed to feed them . So the USDA got involved. They agreed to provide Harris Feedlot free surplus chedder cheese and penutbutter to feed the hogs if we would preform a study. The cheese and butter came in large 42 gallon cardboard barrels . 7 pens were constructed out of 2 1/2 " pipe and a dozen pigs of the same age and size were placed in each . The cheese and penutbutter were fed to the first pen then their manure fed to the second pen ,and their manure to the 3d and so forth . Our tax dollars were being spent to determine what nutritional value was remaining after being digested 6 times. My Father a wise old cowboy himself remarked about the study . "Well I don't know ,but sooner or later that stuff's got to start tasting like S--t! You can't make this kinda stuff up!
Again my apologies for being so off topic again ! Humor is good for the soul.

Tags
furnace