Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #61
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Does anybody make a conversion for oiled bearings? Then all we'd have to do is check the oil.
Don't know what axles you have but here's a start.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-271571.html
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #62
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Don't know what axles you have but here's a start.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-271571.html
Well well how about that, never heard it mentioned so I never looked.
7000 lb. Morryde IS I have to look into this.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #63
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

We'll, I've decided that when pack the bearings, I'm going to look at the assembly and see what I need so I can have a complete spare to carry.
As far as I'm concerned, it's just as important as a spare tire but harder to get a replacement.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #64
flybouy
Site Team

If I were going to full time and planned on traveling extensively I think I'd seriously consider converting to oil bath bearings and disc brakes.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #65
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Not going full time but I have discs. I put on between 8 - 10 K per year.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #66
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Not going full time but I have discs. I put on between 8 - 10 K per year.
I'd do it in a heartbeat if we put more miles on than we currently do. Better stopping, more efficient , run cooler, less parts, easier to maintain and replace. Can't think of any negatives other than initial cost.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #67
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to consider with oil bath bearings and drum brakes: You still have to pull the hub to access the brake linings, magnet, etc. So, installing oil bath bearings is, at least in my way of looking at things, only an option with disc brake conversions. Otherwise, you'd be disassembling the oil bath assembly just to get to the brake shoes and magnet. Seems extremely counterproductive to me.

With disc brakes, there's no need to pull the hub to inspect the brakes, and bearings can remain "soaking in the oil"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #68
Cw5rlharmon

We have a 2015 Keysone Hideout 27DBS. Bought it used in June 2019. Original tires had less than 1000 miles, easily. We had plans for longer hauls, plus I like to look/check stuff myself. Removed wheels/bearings. Original bearings were installed (Chinese). 2 of the four wheels had bearings that were damaged...bent/crimped when installed. Pretty sure at the factory. I would highly recommend inspection and replacing with a quality bearing set. 4 complete sets of Timken bearings with seals was less than $25 on Amazon. I don’t understand why the manufacturers cut corners on VERY important items that can turn not only into an inconvenience, but may place you in a non safe environment! Simply greasing a bad bearing won’t fix it.
Cw5rlharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:10 PM   #69
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cw5rlharmon View Post
We have a 2015 Keysone Hideout 27DBS. Bought it used in June 2019. Original tires had less than 1000 miles, easily. We had plans for longer hauls, plus I like to look/check stuff myself. Removed wheels/bearings. Original bearings were installed (Chinese). 2 of the four wheels had bearings that were damaged...bent/crimped when installed. Pretty sure at the factory. I would highly recommend inspection and replacing with a quality bearing set. 4 complete sets of Timken bearings with seals was less than $25 on Amazon. I don’t understand why the manufacturers cut corners on VERY important items that can turn not only into an inconvenience, but may place you in a non safe environment! Simply greasing a bad bearing won’t fix it.
Welcome to the forum! I'm hoping those original tires with less than 1000 miles have been replaced?? It's about time regardless of miles.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #70
Cw5rlharmon

Replaced those too, as the tread was fine, but had started some dry rot cracking! Thanks!
Cw5rlharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #71
rodgebone

my Keystone Outback is 3 months old and came with the EZ Lube setup. I just did nearly 7000 miles thru 11 states straight out of the dealership lot from new. as expected we had some teething issues so booked it into the dealer for warranty work and had them repack the bearings while it was there for $350 (tandem axle). the bearing mfg sez to repack the bearings once per year or every 10K so had them do it for peace of mind after our 3 month trip. ive read everywhere NOT to repack my bearings as the mfg describes. EVERYONE sez the rear seal will push out and contaminate the brakes resulting in new brake shoe replacement. EZ lube is a nice concept on paper but looks like an engineering failure in the real world. after 7000 miles my brakes were 90% and the bearings were fine. all we required was fresh grease and new seals. had i gone to the extra expense and time purchasing a grease gun and grease and doing this service myself i would probably be buying new brake shoes on all four wheels at this point. im glad im not lugging these extra tools and materials around and wasting my time knowing im going to ruin my brakes. supposedly all you need is grease and grease gun and youre good right? well that isnt the case.

i dont understand why does Keystone uses such a worthless wheel bearing system KNOWING its going to cause a brake contamination issue even under the best of self servicing circumstances. i mean, wasnt that the whole point to begin with? even the dealership shop foreman and service writer point blank told me NOT to service these bearings as the mfg described! the red flags are EVERYWHERE!

ive spent decades in the automotive service industry as a tech and seeing a system like this on a new wrig infuriates me. this is a poorly designed product and Keystone should be held accountable for selling their trailers with this setup KNOWING its going to cost customers a brake job prematurely. i bought a Keystone for quality knowing ANY brand of RV i purchased would have issues. but this is one area where Keystone has failed (along with their use of Shur-Flo water pumps with bad check valves). im not knocking the brand but i am unhappy with their choice of contracted mfgs they use on their RVs. im disappointed as an owner and someone who wanted some degree of self servicing.
rodgebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #72
JRTJH
Site Team

rodgebone,

If you "really, really" think that Keystone is the only manufacturer that uses the EZ Lube system and ShurFlo water pumps , with bad check valves, well, maybe you could take a stroll around any RV dealership's lot and check out the competition..... Both the EZ Lube system and Shurflo are "industry standard equipment" for every RV manufacturer.

Sorry to disappoint, but "it ain't just Keystone"....

Oh, and welcome to the forum, hopefully you'll find some interesting things to read while you're here.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:23 AM   #73
ubetcha

Is there any advantage or disadvantage of using synthetic wheel bearing grease rather than conventional wheel bearing grease? It seems that most vehicles ,trucks and cars, are starting to use synthetic now days. Trying to get away from petroleum based products.
ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:59 AM   #74
gearhead

I use synthetic everything on everything possible.
Of course defining synthetic starts a big argument. Boring deep into it, the only really synthetics are PAO and ester type bases. For oils the base oils are divided into grades. For practical issues the 2 top grades, I think, are considered synthetic even though they are refined, though highly refined. And then there is the Pennzoil synthetics based on natural gas and liquified at the Shell Pearl Gas to Liquids facility in Quatar.
What was the question again? LOL I assume synthetic grease has a base that is less likely to thermally break down. I use Mobil1 grease.
If you want to dig deep into oils, greases, etc., check:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:04 AM   #75
skids

If it is anything like motor oil, the processing is limited on refining dinosaur juice. It probably contains “ash” and other impurities. I would imagine it is less important with grease than with motor oil because you do cleaning when you check out the bearings — less chance of any sludge build-up. I buy synthetic grease because I feel better about it and suspect quality control is better for heat breakdown. Maybe I am a victim of marketing!
Old 11-25-2019, 06:20 AM   #76
flybouy
Site Team

If you think about it refined crude oil based lubricants were the "original" synthetics. Grease came from bear fat and other animals and oil came from whales, seals, and other animals.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #77
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
rodgebone,

If you "really, really" think that Keystone is the only manufacturer that uses the EZ Lube system and ShurFlo water pumps , with bad check valves, well, maybe you could take a stroll around any RV dealership's lot and check out the competition..... Both the EZ Lube system and Shurflo are "industry standard equipment" for every RV manufacturer.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, hopefully you'll find some interesting things to read while you're here.
The EZ Lube idea works great on trailers with no brakes. I have 2 small utility trailers with it. Also is good for small boats. Jack the trailer up and pump old grease and water out while turning the wheel.
I've said this a lot....I really don't understand why Dexter doesn't use the Vault sealed hubs. I have them on my tandem axle bay boat trailer. No maintenance for at least 5 years. Dexter bought them out a couple years ago. Baffling to me.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #78
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
The EZ Lube idea works great on trailers with no brakes. I have 2 small utility trailers with it. Also is good for small boats. Jack the trailer up and pump old grease and water out while turning the wheel.
I've said this a lot....I really don't understand why Dexter doesn't use the Vault sealed hubs. I have them on my tandem axle bay boat trailer. No maintenance for at least 5 years. Dexter bought them out a couple years ago. Baffling to me.
It's not Dexter's decision on what type axle is hung under a Keystone RV. Keystone specs that and I'll bet it's an economic decision.

Let's say for the sake of easy math that Keystone builds 10K units/yr. If they change axles/hubs and they cost $100 more than $100 more over 10,000 units well you get the idea. Every increase cost gets added to the MSRP and in a marketplace where a $1,000 can "make or break" a deal the manufacturer's, especially of the ones that build entry level units, will "economize" at every opportunity.

The "mass production" of products are targeted for the "masses" and that keeps costs down. Doesn't matter what industry the model is similar. You can purchase a 65" Samsung TV for <$700 or as high as much >$4,000. Don't expect them to have identical components or performance.

I'm not defending Keystone or any manufacturer but in my opinion blaming a manufacturer for selling what the masses demand is unrealistic.

JMHO
Old 11-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #79
rodgebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
rodgebone,

Flybouy and JRTJH, you are both absolutely correct - its not just Keystone and we knew that when we shopped for our TT. the reason i singled them out specifically is because A) i bought one and B) i felt Keystone was a better quality product than the dozens of other brands i looked at in my price range. i just wished they had matched their production quality with better engineered products as overall quality was the #1 factor in our purchasing decision. dont get me wrong as we are VERY pleased with our Keystone overall. EVERY mfg has issues and i get it's a mass production thing to keep the initial purchase price down to get the customer in the door. but at the end of the day there is no real cost savings considering the extra repairs down the road not to mention the time, money & hassle of having our full time home down at the dealer's shop. personally i would have gladly paid extra to have better quality products but i understand everyone's purchasing factors are different. it just irks me that a popular & well established mfg would use poorly designed products KNOWING they are going to cause the customer MORE money in the end. these bearing systems and water pumps have been around for a LONG time without design upgrades and continue to fail. the time for this industry standard to change is well overdue. it just isnt justified.
rodgebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:31 AM   #80
skids

I agree. You don't have to use parts that make customers unhappy or unsafe just to be "competative." As much as these cost anyways, I would happily pay 1000 more for better quality. It should be part of marketing.

Tags
maintenance