Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Cracks in shower pan, walls,Customer damage. Just submittted pics on a new trailer that came from the factory with 3 cracks in the shower wall.

Last one was a tub and wall replacement. Factory didn’t place the tub support in the right place and didn’t put the wall on straight.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvin View Post
I was in and out trying to find the rivet things all day , but thinking back believe the long “back” portion where the leak was only had two screws and maybe at least one of them were just in that thin wall material
My guy did go back and find actual wood and screwed in at least two different places on the lip of the tub into wood vs the thin, flexible wall....
there was a place on the long wall like that and one on the opposite wall from the faucet

The one video repair i saw on youtube the tub was caulked to the wall

We did not caulk it until the repair shop said they did caulk it all

There was double sided tape on everything and we redid the tape everywhere

So if the caulk is not needed and cracks in theory it should not matter

The tub nor the surround were cracked, the tub seems slighter higher into the surround part in an area or two but nothing major

Bottom line it was leaking up over the lip and the way it was in there wasnt working

You could easily see the tracks of water where the tub had leaked over the side and down the side of the tub right in the middle of the long wall

Sourdough how to you know how yours is put together if you havent had to take it apart?

And this stuff about everything needing to move, my cabinets etc are not loose and moving, if all of that was loose the microwave would work itself out of the wall...

It may not be caulked but it has to screwed or bolted in tight, at least i hope so
I am trying to help. How do I know? How many showers have you taken apart? This one? I've torn many showers apart, put in new ones etc. On this one it has not been removed. Can I see the rivets in the wall? Yes. Does it stick when I push on the walls and then pop loose? Yes (double sided tape). Is the base "caulked" to the walls? No, I can move them independently and there is no evidence of ANY caulk anywhere in the placement of any of the shower parts. Have I ever seen one that was...no.

It strikes me from your many posts that you aren't familiar with normal construction methods of various components; we just try to help. You can do what you want; you may want to get a couple of tubes of liquid nails and "cinch 'er down".

Just wanted to clarify the above;

I've installed/repaired many tubs/showers/surrounds in S&B locations. I have repaired 2 RV showers. The S&B bathrooms used caulk, the RVs did not. I sort of lumped everything together in the initial post.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #23
cvin

Just wanted to update this and clarify what we did

We put the shower back together with the strongest?? - most expensive -double sided tape home depot had
We also caulked the tub to the wall and the top to the tub at the seam seen in between the 2
In addition to doing double the supports under the tub

So basically we did what most of your recommend we just also caulked it to the wall and the top and bottom together

So far no leaks and no cracks in the caulking etc
Everything seems fine
Probably hauled it 1200-1500 miles since then

If there is an issue down the road i will update this

Tags
leak