Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
08ramguy

leave the heater on

Does any one leave the heater on there trailer while driveing.....just curious because I have a friend that says he does this while we go to are riding area so its warm when we get there......doesnt sound like a good idea to me....any thoughts?
08ramguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
tap3230

That seems like a giant waste of propane. It really dosen't take mine that long to heat up once I get to the destination.
tap3230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
SteveC7010

I can't go look as the trailer is in storage, but I am pretty certain that the living room slider covers several of the ducts in the floor when closed up. Maybe the bedroom one, too.

That means the heater can't circulate air normally so some kind of problem is pretty much guaranteed to happen sooner or later. So I would not run the heater while traveling.

If it was that cold, I think I'd stop every couple of hours, put any blocking slides out, and fire up the furnace for a half hour or so.

I have traveled with the fridge running on propane with no problems, especially in really hot weather. But I do shut it off before pulling up to the pumps to refuel.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
f6bits

I also think it’s not a great idea. An easy idea is to send one sucker into the trailer to turn on the heat while the others sit in the warm car until the trailer is also warm.

My ducts are unobstructed when the slider is in, so heat can go on as soon as I park.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I agree with the other 2 responses and would add that if it's cold then I will turn on the heat when I arive so that it's warm when I'm finished setting up. If it's too cold for the DW she can sit in the truck until the camper warms up. Mine ill heat up in a tter of a few min.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
mhs4771

All depends on many factors: We ran ours on a low setting last Feb when we left Western New York for Florida. We had de-winterized the rig and needed to keep some heat in the belly to keep water lines and fresh water tank from freezing. Just to have the rig warn, don't think I would as it does take long to bring the temp up. So it depends on the reasons.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree. Not having any heat in the rig for 10-12 hours in this "neck of the woods" would play havoc on the plumbing in the "basement" unless the trailer were winterized.

However, for short trips, we travel without heat. My wife usually climbs in the trailer and turns on the thermostat while I register at the campground office, by the time she finishes walking the dog, we pull into the site and get unhitched, the trailer is warm enough for her to start setting up the inside while I level and connect the utilities. By the time I'm finished and inside, she's got something warm ready and the trailer is almost always warm enough to take off coats and gloves and get the weekend started

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
chuck&gail

If it is below freezing outside, we leave our furnace running to keep waste tanks and valves from freezing. If above freezing outside, I turn furnace on when checking in at CG. By the time we are set up in our spot, TT is nice and toasty.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
08ramguy

Well I dont have any thing that will block heater vents in my toyhauler, I have no slides, and one vent the is by under the stove and then two that are in the front bed area.....wierd setup?....toyhauler takes a good amount off time to heat up cause of this.....next toyhauler I have will have a seperate garage area, with a better heating system in it....
08ramguy is offline   Reply With Quote