Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
fastmnstealth

New Cougar front end - hitch extension/longer shank

I'm looking at buying a Cougar xLite 32RBK or High Country 32TBS.

Regardless of the trailer, the dealer mentioned that the front end can impact the TV if turning sharp. They say they have been sending hitch extensions with all the Cougars with the "aerodynamic" front ends.

I can't believe that Cougar would design something that resulted in a longer shank or hitch extension being required. Is this a real problem??!!

My TV is a Yukon XL 2500 8.1L w/ 3.73s

Can anybody comment on this? I'm not comfortable with a hitch extension on a 7500-8K trailer (780-1000lb tongue). Does equalizer/reese sell longer shanks for their 4 point or dual cam? From what I've read, this decreases max tongue wt capacity anywhere from 30-50%

I love the trailers, but this one really concerns me. If It is possible to make contact with my Yukon, I will!!

Thanks,

Mark
fastmnstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
bgilsrud

I bought a 18 shank off the internet! A very good idea after I hit my truck a put a small dent in the side of my box
bgilsrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
Javi

There are 2" hitch shanks that are 12, 14 and 18" long and rated for 14,000 so tongue weight shouldn't be an issue..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
chuck&gail

Note problem is NOT tow weight, it is tongue weight derating!!!

As I recall most receiver hitches/vehicles are rated assuming a 10" drawbar, measured from the hitch pin to the center of the ball. Knowing this, it is easy to figure how to derate your tongue weight spec.

Supposed vehicle tongue weight spec is 1000#. You plan to use a 12" hitch pin to ball drawbar. Vehicle spec would then be 1000*10/12 = 833#

Hope that helps.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote